Re: [Distillers] Modern Marvels distilling doc.

  • Trid
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 3, 2006
      --- "Brian B." <brianlives@...> wrote:

      > Evening all,
      > I've just downloaded and watched a documentary about distilling that's
      > part of a US tv series called Modern Marvels. Has anyone else here seen it
      > and have any comments ? It covered a lot of ground in 45 minutes but showed
      > some impressive looking commercial stills, the making of absinthe and
      > moonshine (complete with "ex" moonshiners !) and generally avoided the idea
      > that badly distilled spirits would make you go blind or dead.

      I've DVR'd this episode myself and have been considering ordering that one and
      the first installment from the History Channel. I don't know if the purchased
      versions would contain any additional material not aired on the broadcast.
      What got my attention was the Bardenay distillery pub in Boise. I'm interested
      in possibly getting my ducks in a row and possibly pitching that concept to
      some of the local brew pubs in my area. Their eau-de-vie still had me
      salivating just a little :)

      Trid
      -ever the schemer
    • tyler_97355
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 4, 2006
        The original modern marvels distillation episode has been posted on
        youtube.com. It has been broken up into 5 videos. Beats paying $25 for
        the dvd.

        -Tyler

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brian B." <brianlives@...> wrote:

        > Evening all,
        > I've just downloaded and watched a documentary about distilling
        that's part of a US tv series called Modern Marvels. Has anyone else
        here seen it and have any comments ? It covered a lot of ground in 45
        minutes but showed some impressive looking commercial stills, the
        making of absinthe and moonshine (complete with "ex" moonshiners !)
        and generally avoided the idea that badly distilled spirits would make
        you go blind or dead.
        > I've no idea whether any cable channels outside the USA have
        syndicated this, but it's worth seeing if you get the chance. If
        anyone wants a copy of it to watch on their PC I'll happily run off a
        copy. My DVD writer is a bit dodgy at the moment and until I get a
        new one I can't make copies that will play on a stand alone DVD player.

        > Cheers,
        > Brian B.

      • Trid
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 4, 2006
          --- tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote:

          > The original modern marvels distillation episode has been posted on
          > youtube.com. It has been broken up into 5 videos. Beats paying $25 for
          > the dvd.
          >
          > -Tyler

          Very nifty.
          Perhaps I'm just thick, but is there a way to save the video clips...I'm not
          seeing a way short of finding the exact file location by digging through the
          html.

          Trid
        • Ian Kent
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 4, 2006
            Trid,

            www.youtubex.com
            Just paste the URL of the video into this site and it will save the
            video as a FLV file.

            Then use Riva FLV Encoder to convert to either AVI or MPG.
            http://www.rivavx.com/?encoder

            Cheers,

            Ian...

            On 12/5/06, Trid <triddlywinks@...> wrote:

            > Very nifty.
            > Perhaps I'm just thick, but is there a way to save the video clips...I'm not
            > seeing a way short of finding the exact file location by digging through the
            > html.
            >
            > Trid
          • jydawg488
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 5, 2006
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...> wrote:

              > The original modern marvels distillation episode has been posted on
              > youtube.com. It has been broken up into 5 videos. Beats paying $25
              for
              > the dvd.
              >
              > -Tyler
              >

              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brian B." <brianlives@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Evening all,
              > > I've just downloaded and watched a documentary about
              distilling
              > that's part of a US tv series called Modern Marvels. Has anyone
              else
              > here seen it and have any comments ? It covered a lot of ground in
              45
              > minutes but showed some impressive looking commercial stills, the
              > making of absinthe and moonshine (complete with "ex" moonshiners !)
              > and generally avoided the idea that badly distilled spirits would
              make
              > you go blind or dead.
              > > I've no idea whether any cable channels outside the USA have
              > syndicated this, but it's worth seeing if you get the chance. If
              > anyone wants a copy of it to watch on their PC I'll happily run off
              > copy. My DVD writer is a bit dodgy at the moment and until I get a
              > new one I can't make copies that will play on a stand alone DVD
              player.

              > > Cheers,
              > > Brian B.

              Brian,
              I'd like to get a copy of that DVD !! What you want $$ for a copy ?
              I can be emailed at jydawg488@...

              Thanks !

            • bronzpilot1
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 5, 2006
                Yeah love to have a look at it, sounds interesting. Send it on please.
                How big is the file?

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jydawg488" <jydawg488@...> wrote:

                > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@> wrote:
                > >
                > > The original modern marvels distillation episode has been posted on
                > > youtube.com. It has been broken up into 5 videos. Beats paying $25
                > for
                > > the dvd.
                > >
                > > -Tyler
                > >

                > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brian B." <brianlives@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Evening all,
                > > > I've just downloaded and watched a documentary about
                > distilling
                > > that's part of a US tv series called Modern Marvels. Has anyone
                > else
                > > here seen it and have any comments ? It covered a lot of ground in
                > 45
                > > minutes but showed some impressive looking commercial stills, the
                > > making of absinthe and moonshine (complete with "ex" moonshiners !)
                > > and generally avoided the idea that badly distilled spirits would
                > make
                > > you go blind or dead.
                > > > I've no idea whether any cable channels outside the USA have
                > > syndicated this, but it's worth seeing if you get the chance. If
                > > anyone wants a copy of it to watch on their PC I'll happily run off
                > > copy. My DVD writer is a bit dodgy at the moment and until I get a
                > > new one I can't make copies that will play on a stand alone DVD
                > player.
                > > >
                > > > Cheers,
                > > > Brian B.
                > > >

                > Brian,
                > I'd like to get a copy of that DVD !! What you want $$ for a copy ?
                > I can be emailed at jydawg488@...
                >
                > Thanks !

              • John Wheeler
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 5, 2006
                  They actually have two episodes.  Darn getting that tivo without a dvd burner!

                  I thought the episode was pretty cool, I've got both saved, along with the brewing episode as well.

                  cheers!

                  --Rio

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 5, 2006
                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "John Wheeler" <riodutchie@...>
                    wrote:

                    > They actually have two episodes. Darn getting that tivo without a
                    dvd
                    > burner!
                    >
                    > I thought the episode was pretty cool, I've got both saved, along
                    with the
                    > brewing episode as well.
                    >
                    > cheers!
                    >
                    > --Rio

                    They've got one on the Green Fairy too (Absinthe, 10 minutes)
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wqW1IgSKmI

                  • PAUL LUDASHER
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 5, 2006
                      How about an ".avi" file? Plays on most any Windows
                      based computer?
                    • Trid
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 5, 2006
                        --- Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:
                        > They've got one on the Green Fairy too (Absinthe, 10 minutes)
                        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wqW1IgSKmI

                        That's the last segment of Distilleries Part two from Modern Marvels.
                        If anybody's interested in spending the *cough* $25 USD *cough* on the official
                        DVD, you can find both eipsodes here:
                        part 1 - http://tinyurl.com/y7e4eg
                        part 2 - http://tinyurl.com/y2xdqe

                        If I plan on making a pitch to a local brewpub to possibly put in a micro
                        distillery, it would be a minor investment. To watch it once or twice...I'm ok
                        with youtube.

                        Trid