Modern Marvels distilling doc.

  • Brian B.
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 3, 2006
      Evening all,
          I've just downloaded and watched a documentary about distilling that's part of a US tv series called Modern Marvels.  Has anyone else here seen it and have any comments ?  It covered a lot of ground in 45 minutes but showed some impressive looking commercial stills, the making of absinthe and moonshine (complete with "ex" moonshiners !) and generally avoided the idea that badly distilled spirits would make you go blind or dead.
          I've no idea whether any cable channels outside the USA have syndicated this, but it's worth seeing if you get the chance. If anyone wants a copy of it to watch on their PC I'll happily run off a copy.  My DVD writer is a bit dodgy at the moment and until I get a new one I can't make copies that will play on a stand alone DVD player.

       Cheers,
         Brian B.
    • juliet kent
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 3, 2006
        I'd love a copy but am in New Zealand. How do we work that one?

        >From: "Brian B." <brianlives@...>
        >To: <Distillers@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [Distillers] Modern Marvels distilling doc.
        >Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 00:01:16 -0000
        >
        >Evening all,
        > I've just downloaded and watched a documentary about distilling that's
        >part of a US tv series called Modern Marvels. Has anyone else here seen it
        >and have any comments ? It covered a lot of ground in 45 minutes but
        >showed some impressive looking commercial stills, the making of absinthe
        >and moonshine (complete with "ex" moonshiners !) and generally avoided the
        >idea that badly distilled spirits would make you go blind or dead.
        > I've no idea whether any cable channels outside the USA have
        >syndicated this, but it's worth seeing if you get the chance. If anyone
        >wants a copy of it to watch on their PC I'll happily run off a copy. My
        >DVD writer is a bit dodgy at the moment and until I get a new one I can't
        >make copies that will play on a stand alone DVD player.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Brian B.

        Discover fun and games at @ http://xtramsn.co.nz/kids
      • Trid
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 3, 2006
          --- "Brian B." <brianlives@...> wrote:

          > Evening all,
          > I've just downloaded and watched a documentary about distilling that's
          > part of a US tv series called Modern Marvels. Has anyone else here seen it
          > and have any comments ? It covered a lot of ground in 45 minutes but showed
          > some impressive looking commercial stills, the making of absinthe and
          > moonshine (complete with "ex" moonshiners !) and generally avoided the idea
          > that badly distilled spirits would make you go blind or dead.

          I've DVR'd this episode myself and have been considering ordering that one and
          the first installment from the History Channel. I don't know if the purchased
          versions would contain any additional material not aired on the broadcast.
          What got my attention was the Bardenay distillery pub in Boise. I'm interested
          in possibly getting my ducks in a row and possibly pitching that concept to
          some of the local brew pubs in my area. Their eau-de-vie still had me
          salivating just a little :)

          Trid
          -ever the schemer
        • tyler_97355
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 4, 2006
            The original modern marvels distillation episode has been posted on
            youtube.com. It has been broken up into 5 videos. Beats paying $25 for
            the dvd.

            -Tyler

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brian B." <brianlives@...> wrote:

            > Evening all,
            > I've just downloaded and watched a documentary about distilling
            that's part of a US tv series called Modern Marvels. Has anyone else
            here seen it and have any comments ? It covered a lot of ground in 45
            minutes but showed some impressive looking commercial stills, the
            making of absinthe and moonshine (complete with "ex" moonshiners !)
            and generally avoided the idea that badly distilled spirits would make
            you go blind or dead.
            > I've no idea whether any cable channels outside the USA have
            syndicated this, but it's worth seeing if you get the chance. If
            anyone wants a copy of it to watch on their PC I'll happily run off a
            copy. My DVD writer is a bit dodgy at the moment and until I get a
            new one I can't make copies that will play on a stand alone DVD player.

            > Cheers,
            > Brian B.

          • Trid
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 4, 2006
              --- tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote:

              > The original modern marvels distillation episode has been posted on
              > youtube.com. It has been broken up into 5 videos. Beats paying $25 for
              > the dvd.
              >
              > -Tyler

              Very nifty.
              Perhaps I'm just thick, but is there a way to save the video clips...I'm not
              seeing a way short of finding the exact file location by digging through the
              html.

              Trid
            • Ian Kent
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 4, 2006
                Trid,

                www.youtubex.com
                Just paste the URL of the video into this site and it will save the
                video as a FLV file.

                Then use Riva FLV Encoder to convert to either AVI or MPG.
                http://www.rivavx.com/?encoder

                Cheers,

                Ian...

                On 12/5/06, Trid <triddlywinks@...> wrote:

                > Very nifty.
                > Perhaps I'm just thick, but is there a way to save the video clips...I'm not
                > seeing a way short of finding the exact file location by digging through the
                > html.
                >
                > Trid
              • jydawg488
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 5, 2006
                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...> wrote:

                  > The original modern marvels distillation episode has been posted on
                  > youtube.com. It has been broken up into 5 videos. Beats paying $25
                  for
                  > the dvd.
                  >
                  > -Tyler
                  >

                  > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brian B." <brianlives@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Evening all,
                  > > I've just downloaded and watched a documentary about
                  distilling
                  > that's part of a US tv series called Modern Marvels. Has anyone
                  else
                  > here seen it and have any comments ? It covered a lot of ground in
                  45
                  > minutes but showed some impressive looking commercial stills, the
                  > making of absinthe and moonshine (complete with "ex" moonshiners !)
                  > and generally avoided the idea that badly distilled spirits would
                  make
                  > you go blind or dead.
                  > > I've no idea whether any cable channels outside the USA have
                  > syndicated this, but it's worth seeing if you get the chance. If
                  > anyone wants a copy of it to watch on their PC I'll happily run off
                  > copy. My DVD writer is a bit dodgy at the moment and until I get a
                  > new one I can't make copies that will play on a stand alone DVD
                  player.

                  > > Cheers,
                  > > Brian B.

                  Brian,
                  I'd like to get a copy of that DVD !! What you want $$ for a copy ?
                  I can be emailed at jydawg488@...

                  Thanks !

                • bronzpilot1
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 5, 2006
                    Yeah love to have a look at it, sounds interesting. Send it on please.
                    How big is the file?

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jydawg488" <jydawg488@...> wrote:

                    > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > The original modern marvels distillation episode has been posted on
                    > > youtube.com. It has been broken up into 5 videos. Beats paying $25
                    > for
                    > > the dvd.
                    > >
                    > > -Tyler
                    > >

                    > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brian B." <brianlives@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Evening all,
                    > > > I've just downloaded and watched a documentary about
                    > distilling
                    > > that's part of a US tv series called Modern Marvels. Has anyone
                    > else
                    > > here seen it and have any comments ? It covered a lot of ground in
                    > 45
                    > > minutes but showed some impressive looking commercial stills, the
                    > > making of absinthe and moonshine (complete with "ex" moonshiners !)
                    > > and generally avoided the idea that badly distilled spirits would
                    > make
                    > > you go blind or dead.
                    > > > I've no idea whether any cable channels outside the USA have
                    > > syndicated this, but it's worth seeing if you get the chance. If
                    > > anyone wants a copy of it to watch on their PC I'll happily run off
                    > > copy. My DVD writer is a bit dodgy at the moment and until I get a
                    > > new one I can't make copies that will play on a stand alone DVD
                    > player.
                    > > >
                    > > > Cheers,
                    > > > Brian B.
                    > > >

                    > Brian,
                    > I'd like to get a copy of that DVD !! What you want $$ for a copy ?
                    > I can be emailed at jydawg488@...
                    >
                    > Thanks !

                  • John Wheeler
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 5, 2006
                      They actually have two episodes.  Darn getting that tivo without a dvd burner!

                      I thought the episode was pretty cool, I've got both saved, along with the brewing episode as well.

                      cheers!

                      --Rio

                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 5, 2006
                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "John Wheeler" <riodutchie@...>
                        wrote:

                        > They actually have two episodes. Darn getting that tivo without a
                        dvd
                        > burner!
                        >
                        > I thought the episode was pretty cool, I've got both saved, along
                        with the
                        > brewing episode as well.
                        >
                        > cheers!
                        >
                        > --Rio

                        They've got one on the Green Fairy too (Absinthe, 10 minutes)
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wqW1IgSKmI

                      • PAUL LUDASHER
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 5, 2006
                          How about an ".avi" file? Plays on most any Windows
                          based computer?
                        • Trid
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 5, 2006
                            --- Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:
                            > They've got one on the Green Fairy too (Absinthe, 10 minutes)
                            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wqW1IgSKmI

                            That's the last segment of Distilleries Part two from Modern Marvels.
                            If anybody's interested in spending the *cough* $25 USD *cough* on the official
                            DVD, you can find both eipsodes here:
                            part 1 - http://tinyurl.com/y7e4eg
                            part 2 - http://tinyurl.com/y2xdqe

                            If I plan on making a pitch to a local brewpub to possibly put in a micro
                            distillery, it would be a minor investment. To watch it once or twice...I'm ok
                            with youtube.

                            Trid