Re: Logic says?

  • burrows206
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 28, 2006
      Hi Robert,
      Is that boiling 100° C O (water) or i assume you mean 78 ° C
      (ethanol)? because my run temps never go above 83 degrees C
      My proposed aim is keep the same run time, make up 50 litres, and
      keep the same 96 percent abv. And get about 6.5 litres of 96% abv.
      It's the whole vapour speed thing now that does that 4 times or more
      thing (to the power of thingy) for a given column cross section that
      I was trying to pin down in a previous post and was and am finding it
      a tad difficult getting my head around it
      Geoff

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>
      wrote:

      > If you (say) doubled the element wattage you would half the heatup
      time
      > (and conversely, douuble the volume doubles the heatup time). If you
      > can then drop back down to 850 when you get to boiling you won't
      flood
      > the column.
      > That was the easy bit. Then there is the whole vapour speed through
      the
      > column business: I'll pass the baton on now!
      > Cheers
      > Rob.
      >
      > --- burrows206 <geoff@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Hi Guys,
      > > I have a 10 gallon milk churn boiler and have as yet only ever
      > > distilled 25 litre batches of 48 Hour Turbo Pure, and from
      switching
      > > on, and starting to distil it takes about 5 ½ hours for 3.25
      litres
      > > of 96% abv. Which for what I want, neutral ethanol, it's great.
      But