Looking for tidier wash - was - Re: amonia

    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 27, 2006
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dheimer@...> wrote:

      > Yo' List,
      >
      > Has anybody tried aerating with oxygen? I have a tank that I use
      for metalworking around the place that I could use if it's practical.

      > L8TER, Dave H.

      That'll be fine, Dave. You don't need much. Google the yeast
      requirements re oxygen vs growth. It ain't much.

    • mavnkaf
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 27, 2006
        Andrew, thanks for that info about the air pumps.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <andrewm1973@...> wrote:

        > > mavnkaf wrote:
        > >
        > > <snip cost of turbos>
        > >
        > > Can you tell me what sort of air pump
        > > that would work for a 23/25 L sugar
        > > wash to a 50 L sugar wash?
        >
        > I just use a high flow aquairium pump.
        > I would guess it would be good for a
        > few extra centimeters of depth that a
        > 50 liter drum would show it.
        >
        > It cost about $50 from a local pet shop.
        > Other lower flow rate ones can be had for
        > < $20.
        >
        > The cheap ones like mine are diagphrams.
        > More serious aquarium stores sell other
        > fish tank pumps that are rotary pumps
        > but I dont think reliabilty is an issue
        > for us so cheap is best.
        >
        > I use a stainless steel air stone that
        > I got from a local pet shop as well.
        >
        > > Also, can pre/post or both aerating
        > > speed up a turbo sugar wash, or attain
        > > a better forment?
        >
        > The aeration is to aid the yeast in
        > reproducing. When you pitch in a small
        > amount of yeast you want to grow the
        > population up to a larger number.
        >
        > I think (and could quite possibly be
        > wrong) that the turbos add that many
        > yeasty beasties that they don't realy want
        > to reproduce much because they are already
        > over crowded.
        >
        > Some more of that here-say I have heard
        > claimed that the rehydrated yeast that
        > have spent months dried out in a packet
        > are not 100% tip top condition. However
        > the children of those dried out ones
        > should be healthy and capable (as long
        > as the parent cells had food/nutrients)
        > That is why you don't pitch large
        > amounts of yeast but a smallish amount
        > and aerate to grow the population.
        >
        > Feel free to burn me for being an idiot
        > Harry :D
        >
        > ><snip>

      • Robert Hubble
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 29, 2006
          I use an airstone running off an oxy-acetylene welding torch, to introduce
          oxygen to the wood-aging process, and sometimes for boosting the yeast-
          breeding process.

          It may not be the most efficient way, but I already HAVE the oxyacetylene
          gear, and it's within a torch-hose length of my brewing area.

          Works great for me.

          Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

          >From: "Dave" <dheimer@...>
          >To: <Distillers@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Looking for tidier wash - was - Re: amonia
          >Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 08:34:38 -0500
          >
          >Yo' List,
          >
          >Has anybody tried aerating with oxygen? I have a tank that I use for
          >metalworking around the place that I could use if it's practical.
          >
          >L8TER, Dave H.

          friends module.