Can anyone post their experience with 3 inch / 76mm diameter columns

  • mavnkaf
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 27, 2006
      After building a 2.5 meter 50 mm LM still with insulation, 1100 watt
      stillspirit element in a 20 L hot water Urn. I found the purity
      went up alot but I did not feel comfortable to increase the liquid
      off take too much. So the time taken was only about 2 hours shorter
      than normal(10 hours).

      SO after talking to one of the Mike's I'm thinking about making a 3
      inch / 76 mm diameter column. Can anyone tell me about their
      experiences in making and running such a still.

      Also what type of still design a 76 mm column would it lend self
      to?
      LM,VM also the condenser type. I can make a shotgun condencer, and
      all ready have a 50 mm shotgun condenser that has about 6.3 meters
      copper 6mm tubing if its helpes? But happy to make one like Stevo's.

      The maths, well I don't much, but I think it goes like 4.9x2000/750=
      1306"/sec @ 3 inch column in a unpacked column which I'm told is,

      "which is right on the nose for all intents and purposes. It's not
      the length of the column that matters, but its diameter. All the
      best,
      Mike Nixon"

      So what I'm after is results and if possible a good starting lenght
      for such diameter. Any takers?

      Cheers
      Marc
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 27, 2006
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mavnkaf" <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

        > After building a 2.5 meter 50 mm LM still with insulation, 1100
        watt
        > stillspirit element in a 20 L hot water Urn. I found the purity
        > went up alot but I did not feel comfortable to increase the liquid
        > off take too much. So the time taken was only about 2 hours
        shorter
        > than normal(10 hours).
        >
        > SO after talking to one of the Mike's I'm thinking about making a
        3
        > inch / 76 mm diameter column.

        .........With all due respect to Mike Nixon, I ask the
        question...Why? To what purpose? Do you drink copious amounts of
        alcohol?..or do you not have the time to put in to the hobby?
        requiring quicker processing?..or do you intend to try your hand at
        a micro-distillery?

      • mavnkaf
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 27, 2006
          Thanks Harry for replying,

          Just after something more? Like I asked results? What does happen
          when you widen the diameter? I'm not the electronic sort to ake a
          busrt fie controller, so when Mike metioned 2000 watts element when
          ok for a 76 mm diameter column it surprised my because while I was
          at the scrap yard, I was climbing over the stainless 3 inch and 4
          inch pipe / columns with fittings, to get to the over priced 2-3
          inch copper tubes. The guy said I could have the stainless stuff
          half the cost of the copper pipe including the fittings So about
          $50 for 2 meters with a fitting for the lid sounds ok to me, and my
          electrical mate can get me a 2000 watt element and install
          it/certify it. So I may have to buy a few more pounds of amphora
          mesh.

          But getting back to your questions Harry, I do drink abit, I like
          vodka type of spirits and No I'm not a micro-distillery or
          planning. Harry where I live is the heart land of Victoria's coal
          power generation industry. When It come to big pipes this place has
          them. I have been in the mind set of plumbing copper type of pipes
          but if I think of stainless pipes well the scope just opened to up
          to a meter diameter and anything in between. So it looks like I
          could make some thing interesting, but not tooo big, it still got to
          fit in my shed. May be stored in the corner. I just would like
          good purity and some time reduction. Its late, got to bed before I
          fall asleep at the PC again!!

          Cheers
          Marc

          BTW, Harry I saw what looked like the insides of a big 2 m shotgun
          condenser there too, next time I'll take the camera.

          <Snip>
          > > SO after talking to one of the Mike's I'm thinking about making
          a 3 inch / 76 mm diameter column.

          > .........With all due respect to Mike Nixon, I ask the
          > question...Why? To what purpose? Do you drink copious amounts of
          > alcohol?..or do you not have the time to put in to the hobby?
          > requiring quicker processing?..or do you intend to try your hand
          at
          > a micro-distillery?
          >

          > Slainte!
          > regards Harry

        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 27, 2006
            Well, not all of us have time to sit by the still. Besides, some of us
            have the Tim Allen syndrome and just got to have more power :)

            Anyway, separation starts to drop when you move from 2" to 3" column.
            If you want to do it properly have good packing (amphora mesh works),
            column as tall as fits and take care of reflux spreading. VM or ARC
            are your best bets for neutral spirits. 2kW works well for 3".

            Cheers, Riku

            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mavnkaf" <mavnkaf@> wrote:
            > >
            > > After building a 2.5 meter 50 mm LM still with insulation, 1100
            > watt
            > > stillspirit element in a 20 L hot water Urn. I found the purity
            > > went up alot but I did not feel comfortable to increase the liquid
            > > off take too much. So the time taken was only about 2 hours
            > shorter
            > > than normal(10 hours).
            > >
            > > SO after talking to one of the Mike's I'm thinking about making a
            > 3
            > > inch / 76 mm diameter column.
            >

            > .........With all due respect to Mike Nixon, I ask the
            > question...Why? To what purpose? Do you drink copious amounts of
            > alcohol?..or do you not have the time to put in to the hobby?
            > requiring quicker processing?..or do you intend to try your hand at
            > a micro-distillery?
            >

            > Slainte!
            > regards Harry

          • mavnkaf
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 27, 2006
              Thanks Riku, I just got 2 pounds of Amphora's nice copper mesh,
              still haven't cut it yet. I like the ARC idear but still need to
              get my head around the concept, I'll have to reread your ebook afew
              more times.

              Cheers
              Marc

              > Well, not all of us have time to sit by the still. Besides, some
              of us
              > have the Tim Allen syndrome and just got to have more power :)
              >
              > Anyway, separation starts to drop when you move from 2" to 3"
              column.
              > If you want to do it properly have good packing (amphora mesh
              works),
              > column as tall as fits and take care of reflux spreading. VM or ARC
              > are your best bets for neutral spirits. 2kW works well for 3".
              >
              > Cheers, Riku

              > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mavnkaf" <mavnkaf@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > After building a 2.5 meter 50 mm LM still with insulation,
              1100
              > > watt
              > > > stillspirit element in a 20 L hot water Urn. I found the
              purity
              > > > went up alot but I did not feel comfortable to increase the
              liquid
              > > > off take too much. So the time taken was only about 2 hours
              > > shorter
              > > > than normal(10 hours).
              > > >
              > > > SO after talking to one of the Mike's I'm thinking about
              making a
              > > 3
              > > > inch / 76 mm diameter column.
              > >

              > > .........With all due respect to Mike Nixon, I ask the
              > > question...Why? To what purpose? Do you drink copious amounts
              of
              > > alcohol?..or do you not have the time to put in to the hobby?
              > > requiring quicker processing?..or do you intend to try your hand
              at
              > > a micro-distillery?
              > >

              > > Slainte!
              > > regards Harry

            • mavnkaf
              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 3, 2006
                It seems after 2 weeks after posting a simple question I got some
                posts(2)?, which I thank them. So it seems not one person's runs a
                wide diameter column reflux unit in a regular way? Or are they
                scared off by wrongly marked as a micro-distillery?

                Cheers
                Marc

                Ps, Tel Us about

                snip

                > wrote:

                Well, not all of us have time to sit by the still. Besides, some of
                us have the Tim Allen syndrome and just got to have more power :)
                Anyway, separation starts to drop when you move from 2" to 3"
                column. If you want to do it properly have good packing (amphora
                mesh works),column as tall as fits and take care of reflux
                spreading. VM or ARC are your best bets for neutral spirits. 2kW
                works well for 3".

                > > Cheers, Riku

                snip

                > > > .........With all due respect to Mike Nixon, I ask the
                question...Why? To what purpose? Do you drink copious amounts of
                alcohol?..or do you not have the time to put in to the hobby?
                requiring quicker processing?..or do you intend to try your hand at
                a micro-distillery?

              • Trid
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 3, 2006
                  --- mavnkaf <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

                  > It seems after 2 weeks after posting a simple question I got some
                  > posts(2)?, which I thank them. So it seems not one person's runs a
                  > wide diameter column reflux unit in a regular way?

                  ...or that most of us don't use a 3" column at all.
                  Most people running a column that wide at home are making fuel, not beverages.

                  Trid
                • joe giffen
                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 3, 2006
                    Hi Marc,
                    My experience with a 3 in. column has been very good, What are you looking for?.

                    Trid <triddlywinks@...> wrote:
                    --- mavnkaf <mavnkaf@hotmail. com> wrote:

                    > It seems after 2 weeks after posting a simple question I got some
                    > posts(2)?, which I thank them. So it seems not one person's runs a
                    > wide diameter column reflux unit in a regular way?

                    ...or that most of us don't use a 3" column at all.
                    Most people running a column that wide at home are making fuel, not beverages.

                    Trid

                    Regards
                    Joe

                  • mtnwalker2
                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 3, 2006
                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mavnkaf" <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

                      > It seems after 2 weeks after posting a simple question I got some
                      > posts(2)?, which I thank them. So it seems not one person's runs a
                      > wide diameter column reflux unit in a regular way? Or are they
                      > scared off by wrongly marked as a micro-distillery?
                      >
                      > Cheers
                      > Marc
                      >
                      > Ps, Tel Us about
                      >

                      > Hi Marc,

                      Sorry, I have been away from pc for months. I run a 3" by 48" SS
                      column, with a 2 by 3 triclamp adopter for a beer keg, and use
                      propane. It has 3 cooling tubes through the top and copper packing. I
                      breaks into 2' sections. I strip 2 50 liter runs which takes 4 to 4.5
                      hours each turn on to turn off heat and avg. 62% and about almost 4.5
                      gal. per run. I store on bakeing soda until ready to combine the 2
                      for a full reflux run in which I also add more soda and some canning
                      salt....It is very fast, 95%, and very pure- better than high priced
                      store bought, and that without carbon filtering- though I have one.

                      From some 2 years of reading and studying and listening, I couldn't
                      be happier with any other. My first and most important lesson was
                      extemly good insulation- I use 3.5" fiberglass. It does take a lot of
                      very cold cooling water, but I have a gravity fed spring.

                      I find it saves so much time over my sisters 2" by 3' column and with
                      as good or better results IMOP that I can concentrate my time on
                      flavoring, oaking, and ageing. With just a few runs like this, I and
                      my family are set for a long time. At least so I first thought, as
                      they have all found it makes cheap and very appreceated presents, and
                      they seem to be entertaining a bit more now.

                      Cheers
                    • joe giffen
                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 3, 2006
                        Hi Marc,
                        I run a 3in. column. I would like to know why you are so obsessed by the use of one, I like the speed, but I am more interested in the quality of the product, I intend to go back to using a 2in.column and make it as efficient as possible,
                        simply because with either I can make enough to keep me and my family in booze. If anyone on this group wants to make commercial quantities they should engage Harry or one of the Mikes privately. I would love to know what you wish to produce.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Dec 3, 2006
                          Ditto
                          But after listening to riku re.VM I now achieve 96%plus.

                          mtnwalker2 <mtnwalker2@...> wrote:
                          --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "mavnkaf" <mavnkaf@... > wrote:

                          > It seems after 2 weeks after posting a simple question I got some
                          > posts(2)?, which I thank them. So it seems not one person's runs a
                          > wide diameter column reflux unit in a regular way? Or are they
                          > scared off by wrongly marked as a micro-distillery?
                          >
                          > Cheers
                          > Marc
                          >
                          > Ps, Tel Us about
                          >

                          > Hi Marc,

                          Sorry, I have been away from pc for months. I run a 3" by 48" SS
                          column, with a 2 by 3 triclamp adopter for a beer keg, and use
                          propane. It has 3 cooling tubes through the top and copper packing. I
                          breaks into 2' sections. I strip 2 50 liter runs which takes 4 to 4.5
                          hours each turn on to turn off heat and avg. 62% and about almost 4.5
                          gal. per run. I store on bakeing soda until ready to combine the 2
                          for a full reflux run in which I also add more soda and some canning
                          salt....It is very fast, 95%, and very pure- better than high priced
                          store bought, and that without carbon filtering- though I have one.

                          From some 2 years of reading and studying and listening, I couldn't

                          Message 12 of 21 , Dec 3, 2006
                            Thanks guys for replying,

                            I think mtnwalker2 has nailed it on the head for what I'm after, a
                            quicker runing process and a high % and clean vodka type product.

                            At the moment I'm using a 25 litter hot water coffee urn as the
                            boiler and using it's 2400 watt element on start up then swicthing
                            to a 1100 watt for the main run which work ok but is a little too
                            fast (vapour speed wise), for my 2.5 meter x 50 mm mini still. It
                            still makes good 95% gear but it takes a good ten hours to get
                            through a 20L of prestriped 40% sugar wash.

                            Ten hours maybe ok for some, but if I can do it in a shorter time
                            and still have a good clean product, by increasing the diameter of
                            the column, with out it costing too much, I would like to try it.
                            Getting a 76 mm stainless pipe is not a problem, welding is not too
                            much of a issue either. Working out what column type and condenser
                            that lends it self to 3" pipe will be interesting. I like the ARC
                            idear but the mini still setup is very simple to make and easy to
                            use.

                            One of reseasons I'm curious about 3" columns is, say if I wanted to
                            make my mini still more efficient I would have to buy a sutronics
                            burst fire unit and make the controller, the costs might be around
                            $70-$100 AUD all together. It has been pointed out to me that 2000
                            watt element in a 3" column is like having a 750 watt element for a
                            2" column. Sooo why don't I just put my very little money towards
                            making a new boiler,element, column and the rest it??

                            I'm not going make it this week or next week but maybe in the next
                            six months, if I want to make it cheaply, it will take time, which
                            is ok with me as I still have my mini still to play with. BTW good
                            reminder about the insulation.

                            Cheers
                            Marc

                            > > Hi Marc,
                            >
                            > Sorry, I have been away from pc for months. I run a 3" by 48" SS
                            > column, with a 2 by 3 triclamp adopter for a beer keg, and use
                            > propane. It has 3 cooling tubes through the top and copper
                            packing. I
                            > breaks into 2' sections. I strip 2 50 liter runs which takes 4 to
                            4.5
                            > hours each turn on to turn off heat and avg. 62% and about almost
                            4.5
                            > gal. per run. I store on bakeing soda until ready to combine the 2
                            > for a full reflux run in which I also add more soda and some
                            canning
                            > salt....It is very fast, 95%, and very pure- better than high
                            priced
                            > store bought, and that without carbon filtering- though I have one.
                            >
                            > From some 2 years of reading and studying and listening, I
                            couldn't
                            > be happier with any other. My first and most important lesson was
                            > extemly good insulation- I use 3.5" fiberglass. It does take a lot
                            of
                            > very cold cooling water, but I have a gravity fed spring.
                            >
                            > I find it saves so much time over my sisters 2" by 3' column and
                            with
                            > as good or better results IMOP that I can concentrate my time on
                            > flavoring, oaking, and ageing. With just a few runs like this, I
                            and
                            > my family are set for a long time. At least so I first thought, as
                            > they have all found it makes cheap and very appreceated presents,
                            and
                            > they seem to be entertaining a bit more now.
                            >
                            > Cheers

                          • surya9375
                            Message 13 of 21 , Dec 4, 2006
                              Hi
                              I dont have a 3" still but for high purity I dont think anything
                              should be much different.

                              Hey guys if I say anything wrong here. Please feel free to comment
                              and correct me.

                              However the differences would be (according to me):-

                              1, Insulate the column properly. Even the 2" columns need this but if
                              its not done I guess the effect would be more seen in a 3" column.

                              2, Almost all docs state that in wider columns (like the 3" ) you
                              should not use copper scrubbers and go for marbles and the likes. but
                              I think the option of copper mesh did not cross them at the time. And
                              I think that a copper mesh rolled with the right diameter should be
                              the best.
                              I think they were against copper scrubbers cause scrubbers had a
                              particular diameter and if its smaller than the column diameter then
                              they wouldnt stack properly and would leave empty spaces as well,
                              leading to channeling. I guess you could buy 2, 1pound copper mesh's
                              from Amphoria and take the second one and roll it over the first.
                              Push this into the 3" column.

                              3, Dont rush the vapour.

                              4, The column height would definetely have to be taller in a 3" to
                              achieve the same strength as in a 2" column.

                              These are my pointers for now.

                              Hey if things work out post it back to this site and let us know how
                              things went.

                              Regards
                              Surya
                            • mavnkaf
                              Message 14 of 21 , Dec 4, 2006
                                Thanks Surya for your input, I'm thinking a column height of about
                                1.5 meters to start with would be A good starting point . If I have
                                to go higher, no prob's. Thanks for your other pointers as well.

                                Cheers
                                Marc

                                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "surya9375" <surya9375@...> wrote:

                                > Hi
                                > I dont have a 3" still but for high purity I dont think anything
                                > should be much different.
                                >
                                > Hey guys if I say anything wrong here. Please feel free to comment
                                > and correct me.
                                >
                                > However the differences would be (according to me):-
                                >
                                > 1, Insulate the column properly. Even the 2" columns need this but
                                if
                                > its not done I guess the effect would be more seen in a 3" column.
                                >
                                > 2, Almost all docs state that in wider columns (like the 3" ) you
                                > should not use copper scrubbers and go for marbles and the likes.
                                but
                                > I think the option of copper mesh did not cross them at the time.
                                And
                                > I think that a copper mesh rolled with the right diameter should
                                be
                                > the best.
                                > I think they were against copper scrubbers cause scrubbers had a
                                > particular diameter and if its smaller than the column diameter
                                then
                                > they wouldnt stack properly and would leave empty spaces as well,
                                > leading to channeling. I guess you could buy 2, 1pound copper
                                mesh's
                                > from Amphoria and take the second one and roll it over the first.
                                > Push this into the 3" column.
                                >
                                > 3, Dont rush the vapour.
                                >
                                > 4, The column height would definetely have to be taller in a 3" to
                                > achieve the same strength as in a 2" column.
                                >
                                > These are my pointers for now.
                                >
                                > Hey if things work out post it back to this site and let us know
                                how
                                > things went.
                                >
                                > Regards
                                > Surya

                              • surya9375
                                Message 15 of 21 , Dec 4, 2006
                                  Some time back when I thought I had done quite a bit of reading I
                                  posted a few questions and Harry got back to me with the answers and a
                                  lot of links proving beyond a doubt that I had a LOT more reading to
                                  do :-)

                                  One of those links was this

                                  http://homedistiller.org/static_menu.htm

                                  In this link under "Theory" you'll find "Reflux Still Design Theory"
                                  and "Coulmn height" underthat. If you work out the math You'll be a
                                  better judge to know how high is enough for you. You need to know the
                                  vapour through put that your boiler would give off.

                                  on average
                                  (excerpt from the link above)
                                  "No packing, purity = 62% , 15cm packing = 82%, 30cm = 88%, 45cm =
                                  90%, 60cm = 92%, 75cm = 92.8%, 90cm = 93.4%, 105cm = 93.9%. These
                                  won't be exact, and depend on a number of different factors, but it
                                  shouldn't be too far off."

                                  And they where talking about 2" wide coloumn at most. On 2" columns
                                  150cm is supposed to give you real good purity. I'm talking about 95.5
                                  and the likes. How much is too much is for you to decide.

                                  But when you widen the column to 3" the purity will fall. I think 1.5
                                  meters is a good place to start. I'm not sure but I think you will be
                                  going higher if you want a high purity cause the funny thing is that
                                  the first levels of purity are eaisly achived (with little hight
                                  increase). But from 90% it starts gets tough to push it furthur. You
                                  would need to put in more height per %.

                                  I guess you would already be knowing that commercial still that target
                                  at vodka (pure ethnol, no flavour) usually use columns that are 4" and
                                  wider. But they dont just use a mesh or something like we do. They use
                                  actual plates, that has water flowing through them, throughout the
                                  column that the vapour pushes through and bubbles upward to the next
                                  plate.

                                  Regards
                                  Surya.

                                • don1lia2joe3
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Dec 4, 2006
                                    I run a 4 inch colum still for making alcohol using the FFS plans
                                    posted on the alcoholfuel list. It produces 5 gallons per hour of 195
                                    proof alcohol but it is all the alchols mixed together (as this is a
                                    fule alcohol still)
                                    The alcohol can then be run through a smaller (50mm) seperating
                                    column to seperate the alcohols at an incredable speed. you have to
                                    be on your toes though as you can miss the seperation point quickly.

                                    Donald

                                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mavnkaf" <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

                                    > After building a 2.5 meter 50 mm LM still with insulation, 1100
                                    watt
                                    > stillspirit element in a 20 L hot water Urn. I found the purity
                                    > went up alot but I did not feel comfortable to increase the liquid
                                    > off take too much. So the time taken was only about 2 hours
                                    shorter
                                    > than normal(10 hours).
                                    >
                                    > SO after talking to one of the Mike's I'm thinking about making a 3
                                    > inch / 76 mm diameter column. Can anyone tell me about their
                                    > experiences in making and running such a still.
                                    >
                                    > Also what type of still design a 76 mm column would it lend self
                                    > to?
                                    > LM,VM also the condenser type. I can make a shotgun condencer, and
                                    > all ready have a 50 mm shotgun condenser that has about 6.3 meters
                                    > copper 6mm tubing if its helpes? But happy to make one like
                                    Stevo's.

                                    > The maths, well I don't much, but I think it goes like
                                    4.9x2000/750=
                                    > 1306"/sec @ 3 inch column in a unpacked column which I'm told is,
                                    >
                                    > "which is right on the nose for all intents and purposes. It's not
                                    > the length of the column that matters, but its diameter. All the
                                    > best,
                                    > Mike Nixon"
                                    >
                                    > So what I'm after is results and if possible a good starting lenght
                                    > for such diameter. Any takers?
                                    >
                                    > Cheers
                                    > Marc

                                  • abbababbaccc
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Dec 4, 2006
                                      Here are some observation from 3" columns versus 2" stuff:

                                      On average you loose ~1% ABV when moving from 2" to 3" if all other
                                      parameters are kept equal. In practise thise means that HETP is
                                      increased by 50% using very rough estimation. This promotes the use of
                                      higher column to fix things. For height I'd recommend at least 1.5
                                      meters if you can afford it.

                                      Packing, as mentioned mesh rolls are recommended to avoid voids in
                                      packing.

                                      Product removal, for neutral alcohol VM and ARC are the best.
                                      Succesfull 3" columns have been built using both approaches.

                                      Power, 2kW to the column works well.

                                      Otherwise things are roughly the same as they are with 2" columns.

                                      Cheers, Riku
                                    • surya9375
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Dec 5, 2006
                                        Head on Rikku.

                                        I would just like to adda comment from a reply I got from Amphora
                                        Society when I enquired to purchase the copper mesh.

                                        ------------------------------------
                                        >One pound of mesh would be sufficient to pack one metre of 2 inch
                                        >diameter column, so you would need two pounds to accomplish your aim
                                        >of packing 1.5 metre. This would leave about 0.5 pound spare, but it
                                        >should be noted that the top reflux condenser needs mesh inside if it
                                        >is to function at full efficiency. It would therefore not be wasted.
                                        ------------------------------------

                                        If this is true then I guess you would need more than 2 pounds to have
                                        enough for a 3" column.

                                        Regards
                                        Surya

                                        > Here are some observation from 3" columns versus 2" stuff:
                                        >
                                        > On average you loose ~1% ABV when moving from 2" to 3" if all other
                                        > parameters are kept equal. In practise thise means that HETP is
                                        > increased by 50% using very rough estimation. This promotes the use of
                                        > higher column to fix things. For height I'd recommend at least 1.5
                                        > meters if you can afford it.
                                        >
                                        > Packing, as mentioned mesh rolls are recommended to avoid voids in
                                        > packing.
                                        >
                                        > Product removal, for neutral alcohol VM and ARC are the best.
                                        > Succesfull 3" columns have been built using both approaches.
                                        >
                                        > Power, 2kW to the column works well.
                                        >
                                        > Otherwise things are roughly the same as they are with 2" columns.
                                        >
                                        > Cheers, Riku

                                      • abbababbaccc
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Dec 5, 2006
                                          Surya,

                                          This applies to reflux coil type condensers where you have large
                                          opening in the middle of the condenser. Filling this void with mesh
                                          slows down the vapor flow and improves condenser efficiency thus
                                          preventing vapor from escaping. Although it is not always needed it
                                          does not hurt to fill that void just in case.

                                          Cheers, Riku

                                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "surya9375" <surya9375@...> wrote:

                                          > Head on Rikku.
                                          >
                                          > I would just like to adda comment from a reply I got from Amphora
                                          > Society when I enquired to purchase the copper mesh.
                                          >
                                          > ------------------------------------
                                          > >One pound of mesh would be sufficient to pack one metre of 2 inch
                                          > >diameter column, so you would need two pounds to accomplish your
                                          aim
                                          > >of packing 1.5 metre. This would leave about 0.5 pound spare,
                                          but it
                                          > >should be noted that the top reflux condenser needs mesh inside
                                          if it
                                          > >is to function at full efficiency. It would therefore not be
                                          wasted.
                                          > ------------------------------------
                                          >
                                          > If this is true then I guess you would need more than 2 pounds to
                                          have
                                          > enough for a 3" column.
                                          >
                                          > Regards
                                          > Surya

                                        • mavnkaf
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Dec 5, 2006
                                            Thanks guys again for the very good info, this is the sort of
                                            information I could not find in the archive.

                                            Donald, your post was interesting but I'm not going down that road,
                                            the off take speed you mention is very fast! Thanks for your
                                            thoughts.

                                            Surya and Riku, both of you mention a reduction of purity, that part
                                            I seemed to have missed in my reading, can some one point towards
                                            some thing I can read about this issue? I wrong most of the time
                                            but I don't think I seen it at home distiller?

                                            To Riku, as I have mentioned, I like the ARC setup but where can I
                                            find more detailed info that will match a 3" column to a 3 " set up?
                                            I'm abit confused about the inside sencer tube compared to outside
                                            one. I have got admit that I have not read/found all the reading
                                            stuff relating to this subject, sorry.

                                            As far the condenser goes, I already have a shotgun condenser that
                                            has about 6 meters of 6 mm copper tube in it. Copper packing, I
                                            think about 4-5 pounds will do it?

                                            Cheers Marc

                                            > Surya,
                                            >
                                            > This applies to reflux coil type condensers where you have large
                                            > opening in the middle of the condenser. Filling this void with
                                            mesh
                                            > slows down the vapor flow and improves condenser efficiency thus
                                            > preventing vapor from escaping. Although it is not always needed
                                            it
                                            > does not hurt to fill that void just in case.
                                            >
                                            > Cheers, Riku
                                            >
                                            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "surya9375" <surya9375@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Head on Rikku.
                                            > >
                                            > > I would just like to adda comment from a reply I got from Amphora
                                            > > Society when I enquired to purchase the copper mesh.
                                            > >
                                            > > ------------------------------------
                                            > > >One pound of mesh would be sufficient to pack one metre of 2
                                            inch
                                            > > >diameter column, so you would need two pounds to accomplish
                                            your
                                            > aim
                                            > > >of packing 1.5 metre. This would leave about 0.5 pound spare,
                                            > but it
                                            > > >should be noted that the top reflux condenser needs mesh inside
                                            > if it
                                            > > >is to function at full efficiency. It would therefore not be
                                            > wasted.
                                            > > ------------------------------------
                                            > >
                                            > > If this is true then I guess you would need more than 2 pounds
                                            > have
                                            > > enough for a 3" column.
                                            > >
                                            > > Regards
                                            > > Surya

                                          • abbababbaccc
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Dec 5, 2006
                                              Reduced quality using larger columns have been shown in practise. I
                                              don't know whether anyone have actually written about it.

                                              My writings about ARC can be found at
                                              http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Listings2.htm#Books%
                                              20Listings - Simple low cost stills

                                              The internal sensor pipe has several advantages and is thus
                                              recommended. You can use plans for smaller diameter column and make
                                              measures a bit larger in proportion. Just make sure you won't
                                              encounter flooding, i.e. calculate things according to the power you
                                              plan on using.

                                              Cheers, Riku