youtube video

  • Robert Thomas
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 27, 2006
      I saw this and thought of you!
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AafSvzXD27c
      The distillation is carried out at 85 degrees????
      Plus at this distillery, which makes gin, whiskey, etc etc, 95 % of the
      fermentables are corn. So "Canadian Whiskey" is flavoured neutral
      alcohol then, is it?

      Cheers,
      Rob.

      Want to start your own business?
      Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
      http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index
    • surya9375
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 28, 2006
        Hey in this video it showed fermentation done in HUGE vats. Way more
        than 25Liters??
        How is the yeast made to tolerate that? I thought anything more than
        25Liters and the yeast wouldnt be able to handel it?

        Thanks and Regards

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>

        ______________

        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 28, 2006
          Yea, and you should see the huge pile of empty turboyeast packets they
          need to use!
          ;)
          Rob.

          --- surya9375 <surya9375@...> wrote:

          > Hey in this video it showed fermentation done in HUGE vats. Way more
          > than 25Liters??
          > How is the yeast made to tolerate that? I thought anything more than
          > 25Liters and the yeast wouldnt be able to handel it?
          >
          > Thanks and Regards
          >

          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I saw this and thought of you!
          > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AafSvzXD27c
          > > The distillation is carried out at 85 degrees????
          > > Plus at this distillery, which makes gin, whiskey, etc etc, 95 % of
          >
          > the
          > > fermentables are corn. So "Canadian Whiskey" is flavoured neutral
          > > alcohol then, is it?
          > >

          > > Cheers,
          > > Rob.

          > ______________
          > > Want to start your own business?
          > > Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
          > > http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index

          Cheers,
          Rob.

          http://new.mail.yahoo.com
        • donald holcombe
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 28, 2006
            Yeast will multiply to a certain level them go to work on the sugar. Even a small amount of yeast will eventually fill a given container . The trick is to get the right amount to get a good population density within a 24 hour time . The reproductive stage is when the yeast uses O2. After that its Anarobic. It dont need O2. Population density can be as much as 50,000,000 / mililiter of wort. 100,000 calls/ mililiter will appear clear. I use 1 sachet for as much as 12 gallon of wash. Never fails !  Extreme Ph or sugar levels may require a Starter to get going. I could ferment that whole vat with 1 sachet of yeast ! The TRICK is it might take some time to build a starter big enough to innoculate that much wort.  LATER

            ____________ __
            > Want to start your own business?
            > Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
            > http://smallbusines s.yahoo.com/ r-index

          • tyler_97355
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 28, 2006
              The main problem with large ferments is the mash temperature. Most
              distilleries will have cooling tubes in the fermentation vat to keep
              it constantly at the optimal fermentation temperature. Generally they
              will set it to ferment at the fastest rate they can without killing
              the yeast. However, this results in more fusel oils produced.
              Fermenting at lower temps produce less fusels, but they also take
              longer. Much longer than 60 hours.

              -Tyler

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 28, 2006
                I never paid any mind to the temp rise in the fermentor till I joined this group . I have since found it can be quite a noticable rise. I guess thats why we never made drum size batches till fall. LATER

                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 29, 2006
                  Hi guys,
                  May be loading huge vats with plenty of yeast (stacking) is ok in
                  places with cold climates. But I live in a tropical country and
                  temperature would be a a huge concern for me. I havent done anything
                  more than 25Liters (would like to as christmas is coming up :-) ),
                  but, I hear that it could wind up leading to a lock. And the yeast
                  killing itself cause of the Temp rise. I like the idea tyler stated. I
                  guess they would be using cooling tubes. I cant see another way they
                  could do it.
                  Say, if I wanted to ferment 100Liters (hypothetically speaking of
                  course :-D ) then do I just dump in 4 sachets of turbo yeast into a
                  vat with cooling tubes? Keeping in mind a sachet for every 25 Liters?
                  Or do I use a lot less (like use 2 sachets) and more time to get a
                  good output with minimal fusel oils?

                  Maybe, I should use just 2 sachets and give it double the time? That
                  should prevent the yeast from creating an excess temperature to kill
                  itself and the time would be good enough to let the yeast work itself
                  through the entire vat, right?

                  Regards
                  Surya
                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe <blackledge_02@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I never paid any mind to the temp rise in the fermentor till I
                  joined this group . I have since found it can be quite a noticable
                  rise. I guess thats why we never made drum size batches till fall. LATER

                • Ian
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 29, 2006

                    Nah,

                    Get a big drum!..  44gal alike!,   Add sugar/molasses + water etc,   Get 2-3 little redwine yeast packets for $2.50 each
                    Chuck them into a 25l fermenter, with a little sugar/molasses/water (less per volume then the big batch),
                    drop in the yeast..  give it a nice big stir!,  add a fishtank air pump,  Let this cruise over night,

                    Wake up nice bright an sparkly!,  Notice your 25l wash is going crazy as a coconut!,

                    Dump all 25l into the 44gal drum,

                    Tad-ARR!!!

                    let that cruise for 6? hrs!   By then it might be a bit warm!..  if it is,  Wet your girlfriends best beach towel,  Wrap it around the 44gal drum holding it on with occy straps!, Add a pedestal fan,

                    walk past it every day or so for a week,  if its hot, add water too towel!

                    give it another week..

                    add too pot still,

                    Holey arsecakes batman! Its rum!!!!

                    :)

                    moral of my story, Stop being fussy!  Ignore what packets say, just dont go crazy with sugar!

                  • Dave
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 29, 2006
                      The heating problem seems to be worse when I do a corn/barley mash.  The rising CO2 pushes the crushed grain up forming a sorta insulating cap on the mash.  I usually punch it down several timed a day.  Seems to solve the problem.

                      Dave H.

                      I never paid any mind to the temp rise in the fermentor till I joined this group . I have since found it can be quite a noticable rise. I guess thats why we never made drum size batches till fall. LATER

                      The main problem with large ferments is the mash temperature. Most
                      distilleries will have cooling tubes in the fermentation vat to keep
                      it constantly at the optimal fermentation temperature. Generally they
                      will set it to ferment at the fastest rate they can without killing
                      the yeast. However, this results in more fusel oils produced.
                      Fermenting at lower temps produce less fusels, but they also take
                      longer. Much longer than 60 hours.

                      -Tyler

                      --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "surya9375" <surya9375@. ..> wrote:

                      > Hey in this video it showed fermentation done in HUGE vats. Way more
                      > than 25Liters??
                      > How is the yeast made to tolerate that? I thought anything more than
                      > 25Liters and the yeast wouldnt be able to handel it?
                      >
                      > Thanks and Regards
                      >

                      > --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@ >
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I saw this and thought of you!
                      > > http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=AafSvzXD27c
                      > > The distillation is carried out at 85 degrees????
                      > > Plus at this distillery, which makes gin, whiskey, etc etc, 95 % of
                      > the
                      > > fermentables are corn. So "Canadian Whiskey" is flavoured neutral
                      > > alcohol then, is it?
                      > >

                      > > Cheers,
                      > > Rob.

                      > ____________ __
                      > > Want to start your own business?
                      > > Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
                      > > http://smallbusines s.yahoo.com/ r-index

                    • Robert Hubble
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 29, 2006
                        Rob,

                        Like you, I'm under the impression that all the liquors produced in the
                        video MIGHT be made from neutral alcohol, with corn as a feedstock.
                        (The video really asks as many questions as it answers). It would be
                        kinda nice to have Canadian whiskey just by barrel-aging vodka, which
                        in my case is just just feints, redistilled with bicarb a couple of times.

                        I have friends who favor Canadian whiskey, which is nice enough, but
                        just not my cup of tea.

                        Does anyone know how Canadian whiskey is really made?

                        Anyway, thanks for the video, Rob.

                        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                        >From: Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>
                        >To: distillers@yahoogroups.com
                        >Subject: [Distillers] youtube video
                        >Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 00:20:56 -0800 (PST)
                        >
                        >I saw this and thought of you!
                        >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AafSvzXD27c
                        >The distillation is carried out at 85 degrees????
                        >Plus at this distillery, which makes gin, whiskey, etc etc, 95 % of the
                        >fermentables are corn. So "Canadian Whiskey" is flavoured neutral
                        >lcohol then, is it?
                        >

                        >Cheers,
                        >Rob.

                        >Want to start your own business?
                        >Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
                        >http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index

                        Stay up-to-date with your friends through the Windows Live Spaces friends
                        list.
                      • Robert Thomas
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 29, 2006
                          Yea Rob, they were pretty hush hush when it came to flavouring up.
                          Sure, we had the token "exotic spices" bit, but the aged "whiskey" was
                          pretty pale. I'd guess the corn distillate was taken off above
                          finishing abv (perhaps the usual 60ish %). That does still leave plenty
                          of corn flavour. Add to that (presumably untoasted) oak and then
                          caramel derived from malt, and bob's your uncle! (oh, no, you're bob!)
                          cheers
                          Rob.

                          p.s. on a 1000 litre mash at ca 1050 with ambient temp at 20 decG the
                          temperature of the fermentation can rise 15 degrees in less than 10
                          hours. The temp rise can be really nice in winter when a certain
                          brewery was unheated. 5 minute break to hug the fermenters!!

                          --- Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

                          > Rob,
                          >
                          > Like you, I'm under the impression that all the liquors produced in
                          > the
                          > video MIGHT be made from neutral alcohol, with corn as a feedstock.
                          > (The video really asks as many questions as it answers). It would be
                          > kinda nice to have Canadian whiskey just by barrel-aging vodka, which
                          > in my case is just just feints, redistilled with bicarb a couple of
                          > times.
                          >
                          > I have friends who favor Canadian whiskey, which is nice enough, but
                          > just not my cup of tea.
                          >
                          > Does anyone know how Canadian whiskey is really made?
                          >
                          > Anyway, thanks for the video, Rob.
                          >
                          > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
                          >

                          > >From: Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>
                          > >To: distillers@yahoogroups.com
                          > >Subject: [Distillers] youtube video
                          > >Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 00:20:56 -0800 (PST)
                          > >
                          > >I saw this and thought of you!
                          > >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AafSvzXD27c
                          > >The distillation is carried out at 85 degrees????
                          > >Plus at this distillery, which makes gin, whiskey, etc etc, 95 % of
                          > the
                          > >fermentables are corn. So "Canadian Whiskey" is flavoured neutral
                          > >lcohol then, is it?
                          > >

                          > >Cheers,
                          > >Rob.

                          > >Want to start your own business?
                          > >Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
                          > >http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index

                          > Stay up-to-date with your friends through the Windows Live Spaces
                          > friends
                          > list.

                          Cheers,
                          Rob.

                          Yahoo! Music Unlimited
                          Access over 1 million songs.
                          http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited
                        • Robert Hubble
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 30, 2006
                            Rob,

                            While I understand some of the quaint colloquialisms of the empire, Bob IS
                            (or technically, was) my uncle, and I was named for him. He, in turn, was
                            named for his great-great-grandfather Bob, a figure of some note in our
                            American Whiskey Rebellion, having his corporeal ass incarcerated by no less
                            than George Washington, for his defense of untaxed distillation in our new
                            federation of states.

                            It was in all the papers.

                            Long story short, you can see that I came by this particular form of
                            rebellion honestly. Makes a man proud, it does.

                            Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                            >From: Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>
                            >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                            >Subject: RE: [Distillers] youtube video
                            >Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 07:54:20 -0800 (PST)
                            >
                            >Yea Rob, they were pretty hush hush when it came to flavouring up.
                            >Sure, we had the token "exotic spices" bit, but the aged "whiskey" was
                            >pretty pale. I'd guess the corn distillate was taken off above
                            >finishing abv (perhaps the usual 60ish %). That does still leave plenty
                            >of corn flavour. Add to that (presumably untoasted) oak and then
                            >caramel derived from malt, and bob's your uncle! (oh, no, you're bob!)
                            >cheers
                            >Rob.
                            >
                            >p.s. on a 1000 litre mash at ca 1050 with ambient temp at 20 decG the
                            >temperature of the fermentation can rise 15 degrees in less than 10
                            >hours. The temp rise can be really nice in winter when a certain
                            >brewery was unheated. 5 minute break to hug the fermenters!!
                            >
                            >--- Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > Rob,
                            > >
                            > > Like you, I'm under the impression that all the liquors produced in
                            > > the
                            > > video MIGHT be made from neutral alcohol, with corn as a feedstock.
                            > > (The video really asks as many questions as it answers). It would be
                            > > kinda nice to have Canadian whiskey just by barrel-aging vodka, which
                            > > in my case is just just feints, redistilled with bicarb a couple of
                            > > times.
                            > >
                            > > I have friends who favor Canadian whiskey, which is nice enough, but
                            > > just not my cup of tea.
                            > >
                            > > Does anyone know how Canadian whiskey is really made?
                            > >
                            > > Anyway, thanks for the video, Rob.
                            > >
                            > > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
                            > >

                            > > >From: Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>
                            > > >To: distillers@yahoogroups.com
                            > > >Subject: [Distillers] youtube video
                            > > >Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 00:20:56 -0800 (PST)
                            > > >
                            > > >I saw this and thought of you!
                            > > >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AafSvzXD27c
                            > > >The distillation is carried out at 85 degrees????
                            > > >Plus at this distillery, which makes gin, whiskey, etc etc, 95 % of
                            > > the
                            > > >fermentables are corn. So "Canadian Whiskey" is flavoured neutral
                            > > >lcohol then, is it?
                            > > >

                            > > >Cheers,
                            > > >Rob.
                            > > >

                            > >____________________________________________________________________________________
                            > > >Want to start your own business?
                            > > >Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
                            > > >http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index

                            > > Stay up-to-date with your friends through the Windows Live Spaces
                            > > friends
                            > > list.
                            > >
                            >http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mk
                            > >

                            >Cheers,
                            >Rob.

                            >Yahoo! Music Unlimited
                            >Access over 1 million songs.
                            >http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited

                            Get free, personalized commercial-free online radio with MSN Radio powered
                            by Pandora http://radio.msn.com/?icid=T002MSN03A07001
                          • Andrew Bugal
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 30, 2006
                              Bob,

                              With credentials like that, you would qualify for immigration to Australia.

                              Regards,

                              Bwyze

                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 2, 2006
                                Thanks, Bwyze, I'm honored..........aren't I?

                                friends module.