Absinthe - has anyone tried making it?

  • Ian Macsween
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 19, 2001
      I'd like to know if the drink that drove artists and poets nuts at the turn of the century (not the recent one) is all that it is cracked up to be.  Does absinthe make the heart grow fonder?  Ian
    • goyeast@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 19, 2001
        I wouldn't drink anything with wormwood unless it was for a specific
        medicinal purpose, and then only for a limited time.

        Having a few drinks of absinthe won't hurt you, but wormwood, a
        primary constituent of traditional absinthe, contains a large amount
        of thujone, a suspected neurotoxin that builds up in your system over
        time and is thought to have narcotic effects similar to marijuana.
        Personally, I would stay away from any alcoholic drink containing
        wormwood, as thujone is very soluable in ethanol. You'd be better
        off drinking a beer and smoking a joint, if that's your thing.
        Wormwood tea, however, is safe because thujone is not very water-
        soluble.

        Scott

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 19, 2001
          PS to post 3767 --

          Here's a good link regarding thujone:

          http://ntp-
          server.niehs.nih.gov/htdocs/Chem_Background/ExecSumm/Thujone.html

          And in my last post, that's "narcotic affects," not "effects," just
          in case anyone cares, which they probably don't.

          --- In Distillers@y..., Ian Macsween <ianelamacsween@s...> wrote:
          > I'd like to know if the drink that drove artists and poets nuts at
          the turn of the century (not the recent one) is all that it is
          cracked up to be. Does absinthe make the heart grow fonder? Ian
        • Strounge
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 20, 2001
            > I'd like to know if the drink that drove artists and >poets nuts at the turn of the century (not the recent >one) is all that it is cracked up to be. Does >absinthe make the heart grow fonder? Ian

            absinthe only really got its reputation through being cheaper by the bottle than a loaf of bread in France and therefore conducive to alcoholism, the problems caused by it were no worse than the problems caused by gin in England at about the same time. Long term useage of thujone containing mixtures does lead to a gradual onset of neurological problems but it by far overshadowed buy the amount of alcohol taken alongside it, thujone of eliminated from the body. albeit of a period of days. Culinary sage is actualy higher in thujone than wormwood ( think about that next time you're eating stuffing).

            I make it once in a while - we get through a bottle a year at home, if you want to know whether you like it but can't kind or don't want to pay the thirty or forty quid a bottle for a rather inferior product then this is a quick recipie -

            Pack a jar with dried wormwood, fill it up to the top with 90% ethanol, leave it for three weeks, colelct the ethanaol, fill the jar again, leave it over night and drain, add to this an equal volume of pernod and if you can get hold of it, a small handful of pennyroyal and hyssop. Distil. To the distillate and a small handful of fresh wormwood, a little pennyroyal and some hyssop, leave it until you like the shade of green, strain and bottle.

            If you like the result then it's worth making the stuff from scratch ( which needs a huge variety of herbs) there many different recipes floating around for absinthe - all of which are probably based on different manufacturers commerical recipes. I tend to favour very high wormwood contents myself.

            As for effect - it's got an amazing aromatic scent, the flavour isn't to everyones taste ( I prefer it unsweetened myself ) and I suppose it does have an effect somewhat over the effect of the alcohol alone, it makes me quite bouncy and awake - but then, how much of that is placebo due to the reputation of the stuff,
            happy drinking,
            Strounge

            Powered by Outblaze
          • goyeast
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 5, 2001
              In an earlier post, I wrote that thujone is a suspected toxin.
              Well, it looks like the specific mechanism of its toxicity has been
              discovered. Here's an article that explains the research if anyone
              is interested:

              "Toxin in absinthe makes neurons run wild.(alpha-thujone)(Brief
              Article)" --

              http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m1200/14_157/61617774/p1/article.jhtm