Re: [Distillers] Apple Jack (was: Re: Corn Mash Pilot Test Results)

  • dcrawford@clarityconnect.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 10, 2006
      On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 06:08:58 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

      <snip>
      >"hard cider" in the US means cider: cider is apple juice (I'm biting my
      >tongue as I type, don't want to get into a semantic argument!).
      <snip>

      In general, in the US, cider is fresh, hard cider is fermented

      "Cider (or cyder) is an alcoholic beverage made primarily from the
      juices of specially grown varieties of apples. In most places in the
      world, the term refers to fermented apple juice, but the drink is
      known as hard cider in the United States, where the term "cider"
      almost exclusively refers to apple cider, a fresh, minimally processed
      variety of apple juice. "

      -quoted from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_alcoholic_beverages

      DC
    • Michael
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 10, 2006
        I agree that there is no specific definition of "Apple Jack"  I have seen the term used for a number of different drinks. These include:
           Apple wine
           Apple wine fortifed with vodka
           Apple juice (sweet cider) with various percentages of vodka (basically a mixed drink)
           Fermented apple juice (crudely made apple wine or "hard cider")
           Apple wine distilled in a pot still or retort still to make apple brandy
           Apple wine ice concentrated  to approximately 20-30% alcohol
        When I posted my recipe for Apple Jack, I stated that  was posting a recipe for apple flavored spirit. I also stated that I  had never tasted apple brandy, but if I were to imagine what "Apple Jack" SHOULD taste like, it would be a fairly strongly flavored spirit.

        If I were to define the various products, I would define as follows: Remenber I am in the USA
           Sweet Cider = fresh unfermented apple juice
           Hard cider =  fermented apple juice. 3-12% etoh
           Apple wine = Hard cider in a fancy bottle. 12-15% etoh (sometimes used for apple flavored grape wine)
           Apple Brandy = Distilled from apple wine or hard cider using a retort or pot still. Would also include ice concentrated wine. 25-35% etoh
           Fortified apple wine = apple wine fortified with neutral spirits. 25-35% etoh
           Apple flavored spirits = neutral spirits flavored with apples in some fashion such as decoction, or concentrate.  Apple flavored vodka 40-65% etoh
          Apple Jack = apple brandy, fortified wine, flavored spirits or ice concentrated wine. At least 25% etoh to differentiate from hard cider.

        Just my opinion. Feel free to add yours!!

        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 10, 2006
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <hexenwolfe@...> wrote:

          > Apple Jack = apple brandy, fortified wine, flavored spirits or ice
          > concentrated wine. At least 25% etoh to differentiate from hard
          cider.

          > Just my opinion. Feel free to add yours!!

          Applejack is fermented apple juice that has been through the process
          of "Jacking".

          This process requires the fermented juice to be frozen by some means,
          like leaving it out in winter (traditional) or putting it in a freezer
          (modern). In both cases you get a somewhat solid block of ice with a
          slushy semi-liquid core of liquid. This liquid is much higher in
          alcohol than the parent fermented juice. Remember alcohol doesn't
          freeze at these temps, only the water does.

          Break through the ice into the slush core, drain it into another
          container. This is the "applejack". The method is sometimes
          called "Freeze Distillation". It's crude in that you can't remove
          heads & tails like with a heated still. So hangovers are part of the
          equation.