Re: [Distillers] Re: Apple Jack

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2006
      Yo' Guys,

      Freezing is also a form of distillation.  Traditionally in cold climates one can store a barrel of fermented apple juice outside for a month or so and it will eventually concentrate the alcohol by freezing and thawing the water and leaving a core of apple jack which you can either drill to or use a red hot piece of steel to get through the ice to the alcohol core.   In areas where it does not get cold enough, one can freeze the must in a freezer and scoop out the ice crystals.  The downside of this process is that the fusel alcohols are also concentrated and drinking the stuph will produce a memorable hangover.  This process usually produces about 30 - 40 % alcohol.

      Regards, Dave H.