Oak barrels (again sorry)

  • Ian
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 8, 2006
      Gidday, I have found a source of oak barrels,
      It appears they have been used too age wine!, They arnt very old (less then 5yrs, and have only recently been emptied (4weeks-ish)

      Are these still okay too age my rum on?  I'm going too get a much superior product ageing in a 'genuine' oak barrel rather then 1/2 a handful of oak chips in a 5l glass demi?

      are there any rules?, Anything I should look out for?

      Its 'okay' too move a full or 1/2 full barrel?

      Cheers

    • Robert Thomas
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 8, 2006
        Hi Ian, comments interspersed:

        --- Ian <ian@...> wrote:

        > Gidday, I have found a source of oak barrels,
        > It appears they have been used too age wine!, They arnt very old
        > (less then 5yrs, and have only recently been emptied (4weeks-ish)
        4 weeks can be a LOOONg time for barrels...

        > Are these still okay too age my rum on? I'm going too get a much
        > superior product ageing in a 'genuine' oak barrel rather then 1/2 a
        > handful of oak chips in a 5l glass demi?
        1. pull out the bung and have a good sniff. Would you be prepared to
        try a glass full of something smelling like that? Yes? goto 2
        2. shine a torch in there. Is it white and filmy? Not a major headache
        for spirits, but not optimal
        3. does it leak? If it doesn't hold liquid it is dead (unless yu want
        to take up coopering)
        4. can you fill it in one/ish go, and feed it (evaporation).

        If all the above are ok, then, yes, using 2nd hand barrels is very
        useful: it is not a money saving reason (any more) for Scorch producers
        to use old barrels. they do add flavour, and almost as importantly they
        have less of some flavours (tannin eg) than new oak.

        cheers
        Rob.

        > are there any rules?, Anything I should look out for?
        >
        > Its 'okay' too move a full or 1/2 full barrel?
        >
        > Cheers

        Cheers,
        Rob.

        Yahoo! Music Unlimited
        Access over 1 million songs.
        http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited
      • Ian
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 8, 2006
          Hurm,.  So they have too be full?

          I don't think I'll ever beable too drink 220l of my rum :)   I get called a piss-pot already!

          Thanks again!   ill try and find a smaller one!!

          Im assuming the same go's with smaller barrels as well!,  Thanks for your time and efforts!!
          > Gidday, I have found a source of oak barrels,
          > It appears they have been used too age wine!, They arnt very old
          > (less then 5yrs, and have only recently been emptied (4weeks-ish)
          4 weeks can be a LOOONg time for barrels...

          > Are these still okay too age my rum on? I'm going too get a much
          > superior product ageing in a 'genuine' oak barrel rather then 1/2 a
          > handful of oak chips in a 5l glass demi?
          1. pull out the bung and have a good sniff. Would you be prepared to
          try a glass full of something smelling like that? Yes? goto 2
          2. shine a torch in there. Is it white and filmy? Not a major headache
          for spirits, but not optimal
          3. does it leak? If it doesn't hold liquid it is dead (unless yu want
          to take up coopering)
          4. can you fill it in one/ish go, and feed it (evaporation) .

          If all the above are ok, then, yes, using 2nd hand barrels is very
          useful: it is not a money saving reason (any more) for Scorch producers
          to use old barrels. they do add flavour, and almost as importantly they
          have less of some flavours (tannin eg) than new oak.

          cheers
          Rob.

          > are there any rules?, Anything I should look out for?
          >
          > Its 'okay' too move a full or 1/2 full barrel?
          >
          > Cheers

          Cheers,
          Rob.

          Yahoo! Music Unlimited
          Access over 1 million songs.
          http://music. yahoo.com/ unlimited

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        • Robert Thomas
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 8, 2006
            Yup, they have to be full (ish) otherwise the staves dry out and leak,
            or worse weaken the barrel.
            You get more evaporation per litle of content in smaller barrels, and a
            faster "effect' on the contents (due to surface/volume ratio).
            have fun.
            Rob.

            --- Ian <ian@...> wrote:

            > Hurm,. So they have too be full?
            >
            > I don't think I'll ever beable too drink 220l of my rum :) I get
            > called a piss-pot already!
            >
            > Thanks again! ill try and find a smaller one!!
            >
            > Im assuming the same go's with smaller barrels as well!, Thanks for
            > your time and efforts!!

            Cheers,
            Rob.

            Sponsored Link

            Free Uniden 5.8GHz Phone System with Packet8 Internet Phone Service
            http://www.getpacket8.net/yahoo2