Re: Apple Jack Recipe

  • gff_stwrt
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 6, 2006
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <hexenwolfe@...> wrote:

      > Here is a new recipe for apple flavored spirits.
      snip...

      > So the recipe:
      > 3 1/2 quarts 55%abv neutral grain spirits.
      > The skins of about 40 apples thinly peeled.
      > One 6 ounce container of unsweetened, frozen, apple juice
      concentrate.
      > 1 teaspoon of powdered ascorbic or citric acid for tartness.

      snip...

      Hi, Michael, hi folks,

      I will look in the supermarket but don't recall seeing apple juice
      concentrate; perhaps it is more readily available in other countries
      than Australia.

      Would it maybe work roughly as well to use apple juice, (at the
      equivalent rate which would be several times the quantity) with very
      high percentage alcohol so as to come out with about the same alcohol
      concentration?

      Regards,

      The Baker
    • Cary Rhodes
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 7, 2006
        I wish I had thought of that when my apples were in season. They
        are all gone now.

        I tried making apple jack last year with little success.

        The column takes out all the character.

        cary

      • Michael
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 7, 2006
          > Hi, Michael, hi folks,
          >
          > I will look in the supermarket but don't recall seeing apple juice
          > concentrate; perhaps it is more readily available in other countries
          > than Australia.
          >
          > Would it maybe work roughly as well to use apple juice, (at the
          > equivalent rate which would be several times the quantity) with very
          > high percentage alcohol so as to come out with about the same alcohol
          > concentration?
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > The Baker

          Here in the USA, there are several types of frozen fruit juice
          concentrate available in the super market. Usually there is apple,
          orange, and fruit punch. I will admit that tese products are not as
          common as they once were. Much of the fruit juice is now sold as
          pasturized whole juice, in cartons or bottles.

          As to the possibility of using whole juice to dilute high test neutral
          spirits, that might work if you started with 95%abv. If you started
          with clarified apple juice. Raw apple juice contains a lot of pectin
          that clouds the result. Heating the pectin sets it and makes it
          unfilterable. I always dilute my high test to about 70% abv with water
          before filtering it through charcoal to reduce the pass through of
          water soluable congeners. This reduces clouding and off flavors. It
          also means I don't have high test to dilute with. When I tried to
          dilute 55% with whole apple juice it came out watery tasting. Anytime
          I have tried flavoring the high test before filtering, the active
          charcoal filtered out the flavors and such that had been added.
        • diskmaster23
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 8, 2006
            I just want you guys to make sure that when trying to make hard cider.

            Do not take the short-cut by buying store apple cider. If you do buy
            store apple cider find one without preservatives. That might be
            diffcult, but this might save those idiots (like me) some trouble.

            One hobbyist's mistake.

            Disk