Apple Jack Recipe

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 2006
      Here is a new recipe for apple flavored spirits.
      My wife and I were making apple sauce a few weeks ago. We peeled
      the apples using a mechanical apple peeler. This machine peels the
      skin off the apple in long narrow strips. As I was finishing the first
      bushel of apples I decided there must be a use for the skins that were
      collecting. I selected the best red ones and loosely filled a gallon
      jar. I then poured in 3 1/2 quarts of 55% abv neutral spirits from my
      latest distilling.I let this decoction sit for 5 days. The spirits
      became bright, candy apple red, and the apple skins bleached white.
      The next weekend we were finishing the second bushel of apples, so I
      removed the first batch of peelings, and replaced them with a second
      batch. Again I waited five days then strained the results. The liquor
      was a beautiful red with the smell of fresh apples. There was
      surprisingly little taste of apples however. To increase the taste of
      apples, I purchased a small, 6 ounce, container of unsweetened, frozen
      apple juice concentrate. One third of this container (about 2 ounces)
      was added to each quart of liquor. This dramatically added to the
      flavor of the liquor, but it also sweetened it a bit. To cut the
      sweet, I added 1/3 tsp of powdered ascorbic acid (about 1500 mg of
      vitamin C)to each quart. It came out just perfect. Final yield 3
      quarts plus 1/2 pint. (less loss than I anticipated.)
      I have never tasted apple brandy distilled from apple juice, but if
      anyone asked me what "Apple Jack" SHOULD taste like, I would say it
      should taste just like clean neutral spirits with a moderately strong
      slightly sweet, slightly tangy apple flavor. The pretty red color just
      adds to the appeal.

      So the recipe:
      3 1/2 quarts 55%abv neutral grain spirits.
      The skins of about 40 apples thinly peeled.
      One 6 ounce container of unsweetened, frozen, apple juice concentrate.
      1 teaspoon of powdered ascorbic or citric acid for tartness.

      Place the skins of the apples in a closed container with the
      spirits. Allow to soak for at least one week. Remove spirits from
      apple skins. Add 2 ounces of concentrate and 1/3 teaspoon of ascorbic
      or citric acid per quart of liquor.Allow spirits to sit undisturbed
      until clear. Rack-off or carefully transfer the clear liquor to clean
      jars for storage. (there will be a very small amount of pectin
      clouding from the apples. I did not even notice it until the liquor
      had been sitting in jars for a week. When I got the product out to
      show my son-in-law, I noticed that there were some lees settled out on
      the bottom of the quart jars, and the liquor had clarified some.)
    • gff_stwrt
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 6, 2006
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <hexenwolfe@...> wrote:

        > Here is a new recipe for apple flavored spirits.
        snip...

        > So the recipe:
        > 3 1/2 quarts 55%abv neutral grain spirits.
        > The skins of about 40 apples thinly peeled.
        > One 6 ounce container of unsweetened, frozen, apple juice
        concentrate.
        > 1 teaspoon of powdered ascorbic or citric acid for tartness.

        snip...

        Hi, Michael, hi folks,

        I will look in the supermarket but don't recall seeing apple juice
        concentrate; perhaps it is more readily available in other countries
        than Australia.

        Would it maybe work roughly as well to use apple juice, (at the
        equivalent rate which would be several times the quantity) with very
        high percentage alcohol so as to come out with about the same alcohol
        concentration?

        Regards,

        The Baker
      • Cary Rhodes
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 7, 2006
          I wish I had thought of that when my apples were in season. They
          are all gone now.

          I tried making apple jack last year with little success.

          The column takes out all the character.

          cary

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 7, 2006
            > Hi, Michael, hi folks,
            >
            > I will look in the supermarket but don't recall seeing apple juice
            > concentrate; perhaps it is more readily available in other countries
            > than Australia.
            >
            > Would it maybe work roughly as well to use apple juice, (at the
            > equivalent rate which would be several times the quantity) with very
            > high percentage alcohol so as to come out with about the same alcohol
            > concentration?
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > The Baker

            Here in the USA, there are several types of frozen fruit juice
            concentrate available in the super market. Usually there is apple,
            orange, and fruit punch. I will admit that tese products are not as
            common as they once were. Much of the fruit juice is now sold as
            pasturized whole juice, in cartons or bottles.

            As to the possibility of using whole juice to dilute high test neutral
            spirits, that might work if you started with 95%abv. If you started
            with clarified apple juice. Raw apple juice contains a lot of pectin
            that clouds the result. Heating the pectin sets it and makes it
            unfilterable. I always dilute my high test to about 70% abv with water
            before filtering it through charcoal to reduce the pass through of
            water soluable congeners. This reduces clouding and off flavors. It
            also means I don't have high test to dilute with. When I tried to
            dilute 55% with whole apple juice it came out watery tasting. Anytime
            I have tried flavoring the high test before filtering, the active
            charcoal filtered out the flavors and such that had been added.
          • diskmaster23
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 8, 2006
              I just want you guys to make sure that when trying to make hard cider.

              Do not take the short-cut by buying store apple cider. If you do buy
              store apple cider find one without preservatives. That might be
              diffcult, but this might save those idiots (like me) some trouble.

              One hobbyist's mistake.

              Disk