Re: PDA1 still.

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 22, 2006
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...> wrote:

      > I know that the PDA-2 has a max power input of 5.5kw. I would assume
      > that the PDA-1 would have no trouble at all with handling power up
      > to 2.4-3kw considering the column width and size. But then again, i
      > didn't design it. I'm sure that Mike could give you an exact max
      > power input for that when he is avalible.
      >
      > -Tyler

      It's been sorted. However the acknowledgement was posted on another
      forum.

      I think 2000 watts for this extended column would be the upper limit,
      if you want any sort of product quality at all. There's a correlation
      between vapour speed, vapour volume and power input. More power means
      more vapour in a given timeslice. This means more speed up the column
      (diameter of column doesn't change), which in turn expands the HETP.

      Thus the point of best purity is extended upward and you need more
      height (hence the column extension Amphora sells) to keep that point
      within your rig. You also need more packing surface for separation as
      the increased vapour speed reduces the time available for mingling
      with downflowing reflux.

      If I'm wrong I'm sure Mike will let me (us) know.

    • mwmccaw
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 23, 2006
        Absolute agreement with what you wrote (excerpted below), Harry.
        The condenser, if fed with 20 deg C (or cooler) water at a pressure of
        1 bar or higher, will handle 2 kw with some room to spare, but product
        quality will noticeably suffer, and choking will become more likely.
        Cheers,
        Mike McCaw