Fwd: Re: [Distillers] Reconstituting sugarcane juice

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 2006
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Héctor A. Landaeta C."
      <coloniera@...> wrote:

      On 8/16/04 8:48 AM, "waljaco" <waljaco@...> wrote:

      > When I tried it, the taste was fine, but the colour was dark, unlike
      > clear sugarcane juice, most probably from the heating action on sugar.

      Hola Vladimiro!
      Long time pal! I have a slight correction to point to you: I¹ve
      pressed...
      how much? Like 6 or 7 tons of sugar cane into cachaça so far and I¹ve
      never
      seen a clear ³guarapo² as we call the juice. The typical color is as of
      that fancy Chinese green tea, sometimes darker, depending on the
      season, dry
      season cane gives a deeper color, like that of Nestea and rainy season
      cane,
      which is a lousy time to pick cane because of the mud fest, is like a
      watered down tea.
      Interesting experiment you are making. From experience I can tell you
      that
      the closest equivalent of dry ³guarapo² is panela or papelón which is just
      it¹s semi-crystallized through boiling form. They do float out some
      debris
      that gets in the surface of the foam on the open boiling cauldrons but
      it¹s
      mostly cane bits and pieces.
      Panela is used regularly in our Andes region to make ³miche² (our
      version of
      moonshine that, IMHO, beats the hell out of the corn version our neighbors
      of the far north favor), which is normally spiced up ³a la² gin
      (inside the
      still) with herbs and roots.
      Salud mi pana!
      --