Substituting non-centrifugal raw sugar

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 2006
      See msg 37408.
      Non-centifugal raw sugars still contain residual molasses and have a
      sugar content of around 90%(see msg.37412). They are convenient to use
      in making rum as they can be regarded as a dried sugarcane juice. You
      can make a substitute using white sugar and blackstrap (from Dutch
      'stroop' = syrup) molasses (50% sugar content). By using the Pearson
      Square (see msg. 4986) we find that to make a 90% sugar content raw
      sugar we need to add 250 g of blackstrap molasses to each kilogram of
      white table sugar (1:4 ratio).
      To make a 10%abv rum wash, we need 700 g white sugar & 175 g of
      blackstrap molasses/4l water. (Based on the fact that 17 g of sugar/l
      makes 1%abv)

      wal