Re: Barrel Bungs - What Materials are O.K.?

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 10, 2006
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "toddk63" <toddk63@...> wrote:

      > I took my 3 liter 1000 oaks barrel and drilled a bigger (1 1/2") hole
      > so I could easily get wood chips in and out. I now have a BIG hole I
      > need to stopper. 65% to 70% abv normally
      >
      > My question is, what materials are O.K.

      Just a thought - would a bathtub stopper work? How close would a
      stainless steel fender washer fit the hole? Or maybe a bit bigger
      hole, and you could fashion a stopper out of 1.5" dia copper pipe. Or
      maybe take a 1.25" copper cap, and build up the OD with leadfree solder
      to fit the hole.

      70%abv puts it out of the common plastic materials group - so I'd think
      you'll want a butyl material or better.

      Or, maybe not. Will the barrel be stored "upright", and the 70%abv
      liquid won't contact the stopper? I don't know if fumes from 70%abv
      are as strong as liquid 70%.

      Mark