Blackstrap versus A grade molasses

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 4, 2006
      Rum quality
      http://tinyurl.com/eag9e

      wal
    • toddk63
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 6, 2006

        > Rum quality
        > http://tinyurl.com/eag9e
        >
        > wal

        This begs the question: Is there any difference, from a distillers
        standpoint whether you use fancy grade or blackstrap plus refined sugar?

        Todd K.
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 7, 2006
          Raw sugar (muscovado sugar) was not refined in Barbados or Jamaica but
          sent to England. Sugarcane juice was concentrated by heating until it
          crystallised naturally - the liquid syrup remaining was the first
          molasses. The crystallised dark brown sugar was packed into barels and
          sent to England. On the way, more syrup settled, leaving a light brown
          muscovado at the top of the barrel, and a dark brown muscovado at the
          bottom. This is the origin of the light brown and dark brown sugars in
          our supermarkets. These days they are white sugar with added molasses
          (3% & 6.5%).
          The molasses after the first crystallisation is high in sugar and can
          be further processed. Not certain if this was done in the past. In any
          case the early molasses used for early rums was richer in sugar than
          our present day blackstrap molasses as the extraction was not as
          efficient.
          I think A grade molasses contains some 75% sugar. There is also B, C
          and then Blackstrap.

          wal

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "toddk63" <toddk63@...> wrote:

          > > Rum quality
          > > http://tinyurl.com/eag9e
          > >
          > > wal
          > >

          > This begs the question: Is there any difference, from a distillers
          > standpoint whether you use fancy grade or blackstrap plus refined sugar?
          >
          > Todd K.

        • subsonic40grain
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 7, 2006
            Does this mean that as I use dsrk muscovado sugar for my rum I am
            doing things ok? :))

            Ok, actually the purpose of my post was to say that tonight I had a
            fine dinner party and for part of the desert course served an Orange
            Liqueur made to one of Wals recipe. It has been sitting around
            ageing for a few months just waiting for the right moment, and
            tonight was the night to pull that cork!!

            Now guys, I made it exactly to his recipe and, (in a flourish of
            extravagance I have to admit :)) served it in pre 1840 (Prussian
            War) cut crystal glasses. It just set it off 'nicely'. Better than
            Jam Jars :-& Of course I didn't tell my guests I made it...

            Wal - if only you had been here. 'Thank you'. It was PERFECT.
            I just wanted to post my thanks to you for all the recipes you
            post. Maybe you don't realise, but sometimes we get some great
            discussions and conversations, and dare I say it, we make new
            friends thanks to our hobby and your recipes.

            P.S. Link2D - sorry but if you are reading this we also drank the
            1977 vintage Queens Jubilee port we were saving for you :((. I'm
            REALLY sorry! You know how it is..... Few beers, rums, the bottle
            is spotted....
            Well you don't! but it was REALLY nice! I will sort out summat as
            good / if not better :))No worries.

            A jolly Subsonic. Mmmm, where is that Porto....

            .... sent to England. On the way, more syrup settled, leaving a
            light brown muscovado at the top of the barrel, and a dark brown
            muscovado at the
            bottom. This is the origin of the light brown and dark brown sugars
            in our supermarkets.
          • Link D'Antoni
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 7, 2006
              LOL...

              Yeah, sure! You were going 'save' the 1977 vintage
              Queens Jubilee port for me?! I'm sure it would have
              been worth the trip. I'm glad to hear that you and
              yours enjoyed it as much as I WOULD have... :-)

              Alas, All is forgiven! Have a drink on me.

              None other,

              Link

              --- subsonic40grain <subsonic40grain@...>

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Robert Hubble
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 7, 2006
                Comments inline, smart guy.

                Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                >From: "subsonic40grain" <subsonic40grain@...>
                >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [Distillers] Re: Blackstrap versus A grade molasses
                >Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 19:58:13 -0000
                >
                >Does this mean that as I use dsrk muscovado sugar for my rum I am
                >doing things ok? :))
                >
                >Ok, actually the purpose of my post was to say that tonight I had a
                >fine dinner party and for part of the desert course served an Orange
                >Liqueur made to one of Wals recipe. It has been sitting around
                >ageing for a few months just waiting for the right moment, and
                >tonight was the night to pull that cork!!
                >
                >Now guys, I made it exactly to his recipe and, (in a flourish of
                >extravagance I have to admit :)) served it in pre 1840 (Prussian
                >War) cut crystal glasses. It just set it off 'nicely'. Better than
                >Jam Jars :-& Of course I didn't tell my guests I made it...
                >
                >Wal - if only you had been here. 'Thank you'. It was PERFECT.

                Isn't that just the coolest part of our hobby? At least in your mind's
                eye, (and quite probably in reality) you're serving them something
                better than anything they've ever had, AND YOU DID IT YOURSELF!

                Congratulations on a big score, and I wish you many more.

                >I just wanted to post my thanks to you for all the recipes you
                >post. Maybe you don't realise, but sometimes we get some great
                >discussions and conversations, and dare I say it, we make new
                >friends thanks to our hobby and your recipes.

                I've never really thanked Wal properly for ALL the recipes and insights
                that I've use to great advantage,so I'll second that motion, Subsonic.

                http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwlo0050000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://www.windowsonecare.com/?sc_cid=msn_hotmail