Conical column

  • mampoer_boer
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2006
      I have been pot stilling for about a year and has made some very tasty
      flavored spirits. My best being a peach brandy.

      I am looking at the different types of reflux stills, and want to
      start making vodka.

      I have been Looking at the still column that Micio built and I have
      been thinking…

      How would a column work that has a conical shape. Something like 50mm
      at the boiler and then expanding to 100-150mm at the top. With a total
      length of about 1m.

      My theory is that as the column widens the vapor speed decreases and
      the surface aria (scrubbers) increases proportionally.

      With this type of setup I imagine that flooding of the column would
      also be more difficult and reflux ratio should be greatly improved. As
      would be product takeoff rate.

      I would love to know your opinion on this and what type of product
      take off and vapor management would be best suited to this.

      My reason for not using a straight pipe is that I cannot find any at a
      reasonable price. 0.4mm copper plate is about 1/3 of the price by
      weight and I don't have to buy a 6m length. So I would be making my
      column any way…

      Appreciate you comments.

      Mampoer Boer
    • donald holcombe

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 30, 2006
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe <blackledge_02@...>
          wrote:

          > How would a column work that has a conical shape. Something like 50mm
          > at the boiler and then expanding to 100-150mm at the top. With a
          total
          > length of about 1m.
          >
          > My theory is that as the column widens the vapor speed decreases and
          > the surface aria (scrubbers) increases proportionally.

          Interesting idea, but what about big at the bottom and small at the
          top? I'm thinking that: purity increases going up the column, so
          perhaps the vapor speed would decrease if the column is a constant
          diameter. So going smaller in diameter would increase the vapor
          speed. Maybe.

          - ouch - no my brain hurts.