Re: Malted corn in the dryer...

  • Michael Eyre
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 28, 2006
      Yes, you can throw your wet malt in the dryer to dry it off. It takes a
      few cycles on the low setting I found out. Also, you sorta need to have
      *some* clothes in there when you're doing this, or it makes a hell of a
      racket. But then, the clothes that were in there now smell like a lot of
      corn. That and the noise the machine made as it just about jumped off
      it's track were what got my wife all bent out of shape when I did this.
      But yeah, it works. :-)

      Mike

    • Robert Thomas
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 28, 2006
        Isn't this what laundry shops were made for?
        Plus, if it blows the achine up, you just leave (quickish.)
        :)
        rob.

        --- Michael Eyre <meyre@...> wrote:

        > Yes, you can throw your wet malt in the dryer to dry it off. It takes
        > few cycles on the low setting I found out. Also, you sorta need to
        > have
        > *some* clothes in there when you're doing this, or it makes a hell of
        > racket. But then, the clothes that were in there now smell like a lot
        > of
        > corn. That and the noise the machine made as it just about jumped off
        > it's track were what got my wife all bent out of shape when I did
        > this.
        > But yeah, it works. :-)
        >
        > Mike

        Cheers,
        Rob.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Ian

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 28, 2006
            After you were done with this, was there any left over corn smell?

            Disk

            ::side-note::

            I made my 5th batch of rum tonight and I think I finally started
            getting consisant results that I am favorable with.

            For my product, I normally don't smooth it out with any carbon. I
            usually add half TSP of maple surlup and half TSP of honey and it
            comes out so good that even the women don't mind taking a swing of it.

            I do wish my pot still had better separation but the end product is
            always full of favor and burns like mad going down. I always figured
            if you aren't gagging and its burning like hell on the way down...you
            know you got some good shit.

            I am happy to say, that I love this hobby and there is always
            something new to try.

            Disk....again.

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ian" <ian@...> wrote:

            > chuck it all in your pink frilly pillow case :)

            9/27/2006

          • Robert Hubble
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 28, 2006
              Reply inline...

              Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

              >From: "diskmaster23" <diskmaster23@...>
              >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [Distillers] Re: Malted corn in the dryer...
              >Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 02:28:11 -0000
              >
              >After you were done with this, was there any left over corn smell?
              >
              >Disk
              >
              >::side-note::
              >
              > I made my 5th batch of rum tonight and I think I finally started
              >getting consisant results that I am favorable with.
              >
              >For my product, I normally don't smooth it out with any carbon. I
              >usually add half TSP of maple surlup and half TSP of honey and it
              >comes out so good that even the women don't mind taking a swing of it.
              >
              >I do wish my pot still had better separation but the end product is
              >always full of favor and burns like mad going down. I always figured
              >if you aren't gagging and its burning like hell on the way down...you
              >know you got some good shit.

              MOST curious! What %abv's are you using to make the cut? When we had
              "cut-making sessions" with friends tasting various fractions (from a
              potstill run) you could predict the expressions on the faces when they got
              into the hearts (diluted of course, to a uniform 40% abv). The facial
              expressions were NOT displeased.

              Of course, ymmv. Evidently, ymDv! Hmmmm. I'm not doing anything unusual.

              >I am happy to say, that I love this hobby and there is always
              >something new to try.
              >
              >Disk....again.
              >

              >--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ian" <ian@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > chuck it all in your pink frilly pillow case :)

              http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwlo0050000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://www.windowsonecare.com/?sc_cid=msn_hotmail
            • diskmaster23
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 28, 2006
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Hubble" <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

                > Reply inline...
                >
                > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
                >

                > >From: "diskmaster23" <diskmaster23@...>
                > >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                > >Subject: [Distillers] Re: Malted corn in the dryer...
                > >Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 02:28:11 -0000
                > >
                > >After you were done with this, was there any left over corn smell?
                > >
                > >Disk
                > >
                > >::side-note::
                > >
                > > I made my 5th batch of rum tonight and I think I finally started
                > >getting consisant results that I am favorable with.
                > >
                > >For my product, I normally don't smooth it out with any carbon. I
                > >usually add half TSP of maple surlup and half TSP of honey and it
                > >comes out so good that even the women don't mind taking a swing of it.
                > >
                > >I do wish my pot still had better separation but the end product is
                > >always full of favor and burns like mad going down. I always figured
                > >if you aren't gagging and its burning like hell on the way down...you
                > >know you got some good shit.
                >
                > MOST curious! What %abv's are you using to make the cut? When we had
                > "cut-making sessions" with friends tasting various fractions (from a
                > potstill run) you could predict the expressions on the faces when
                they got
                > into the hearts (diluted of course, to a uniform 40% abv). The facial
                > expressions were NOT displeased.

                I usually take everything in between from 75%(which is my max) and to
                50%. I always throw out my first 100ml. After 50% it gets diluted and
                flavorless.