looking for all corn recipies and instructions.

  • kirtgk
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 24, 2006
      ive done many sugar washes and now feel ready to try something
      different. im asking all of you for recipies and instructions using
      cracked corn. i dont want to add in other grains and such just yet. as
      far as yeast ill be using alcotec and for enzymes ive got beano.

      basicaly im going to the next level in this hobby and im loving it all
      the way.

      chillin and stillin
      kirtgk
    • rodmacd2000
      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 24, 2006
        Get a copy of Ian Smiley's book "Making Pure Corn Whiskey". Available
        at Mr Smiley's own WEB site ( http://www.home-distilling.com ) for US
        $25 including postage. Also can be purchased from the Amphora Society (
        http://www.amphora-society.com )and Brewhaus US ( www.brewhaus.com ).

        I have no financial interest in the book - I'm just an admirer of Ian
        Smiley.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kirtgk" <kirtgk@...> wrote:

        > ive done many sugar washes and now feel ready to try something
        > different. im asking all of you for recipies and instructions using
        > cracked corn. i dont want to add in other grains and such just yet. as
        > far as yeast ill be using alcotec and for enzymes ive got beano.
        >
        > basicaly im going to the next level in this hobby and im loving it all
        > the way.
        >
        > chillin and stillin
        > kirtgk

      • kirtgk
        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 24, 2006
          thanks rod for the info. i was actually looking for a less cost way
          for recipes like ones the group members pass around to each other. im
          not ready to spend around 25.00 dollars for something i may not
          enjoy, follow my drift??

          if youve got some recipies id love it if youd share them with me.
          contact me via email to save on unecessary posting of messages.

          thanks in advance
          kirtgk

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rodmacd2000" <rmacdoug@...> wrote:

          > Get a copy of Ian Smiley's book "Making Pure Corn Whiskey". Available
          > at Mr Smiley's own WEB site ( http://www.home-distilling.com ) for US
          > $25 including postage. Also can be purchased from the Amphora Society (
          > http://www.amphora-society.com )and Brewhaus US ( www.brewhaus.com ).
          >
          > I have no financial interest in the book - I'm just an admirer of Ian
          > Smiley.
          >
          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kirtgk" <kirtgk@> wrote:
          > >
          > > ive done many sugar washes and now feel ready to try something
          > > different. im asking all of you for recipies and instructions using
          > > cracked corn. i dont want to add in other grains and such just yet. as
          > > far as yeast ill be using alcotec and for enzymes ive got beano.
          > >
          > > basicaly im going to the next level in this hobby and im loving it all
          > > the way.
          > >
          > > chillin and stillin
          > > kirtgk

        • Cary Rhodes
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 24, 2006
            Kirk

            the recipe is very easy as far as the proportions of components.
            Its the proceedure that is more complex.

            In it simplest terms, you have got to heat the mash to convert the
            starch in the corn using malted grains to get fermentable sugars for
            the yeast to do its job.

            Smiley's book is the best and simplest proceedure. He elaborates on
            a cooked mash and a noncooked sour mash method.

            there is definately and art to cooked mash.

            cary

            -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kirtgk" <kirtgk@...> wrote:

            > thanks rod for the info. i was actually looking for a less cost way
            > for recipes like ones the group members pass around to each other.
            im
            > not ready to spend around 25.00 dollars for something i may not
            > enjoy, follow my drift??
            >
            > if youve got some recipies id love it if youd share them with me.
            > contact me via email to save on unecessary posting of messages.
            >
            > thanks in advance
            > kirtgk
            >

            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rodmacd2000" <rmacdoug@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Get a copy of Ian Smiley's book "Making Pure Corn Whiskey".
            Available
            > > at Mr Smiley's own WEB site ( http://www.home-distilling.com )
            for US
            > > $25 including postage. Also can be purchased from the Amphora
            Society (
            > > http://www.amphora-society.com )and Brewhaus US (
            www.brewhaus.com ).

            > > I have no financial interest in the book - I'm just an admirer
            of Ian
            > > Smiley.
            > >
            > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kirtgk" <kirtgk@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > ive done many sugar washes and now feel ready to try something
            > > > different. im asking all of you for recipies and instructions
            using
            > > > cracked corn. i dont want to add in other grains and such just
            yet. as
            > > > far as yeast ill be using alcotec and for enzymes ive got
            beano.

            > > > basicaly im going to the next level in this hobby and im
            loving it all
            > > > the way.
            > > >
            > > > chillin and stillin
            > > > kirtgk

          • Tony Turner
            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 24, 2006
              Hi Kirt,
              I know I'll get a half dozen people telling me what swill these recipes are but I have two for you that are easy and make a very nice spirit.

              First, in the files section of the "New Distillers" group is a folder named "Corn Whiskey Recipe". The recipe calls for Corn, Beano, sugar and wheat malt or barley malt. Its very easy if you follow the instructions included with the recipe.

              Second, Over on www.homedistiller.org in the Wiki section you will find Uncle Jessie's Corn Whiskey. This recipe is a very simple "no cook' corn and sugar recipe that tells you how to make a very good sour mash type spirit. Again, follow the instructions to the letter and you'll be rewarded with a nice spirit.

              Third, I started an all grain bourbon type spirit today that I hope will be good. I used 80% 10% and 10% along with 35% back-set from one of my other corn whiskey recipes. I have taken very good notes and I'll post the results after I cook it off and age it a bit. As of now it smells wonderful in the fermenter ---- time will tell.

              A little secret Harry shared with me was to double distill and in the second distilling run add about 40% back-set to the still. This helps carry over a LOT of the flavor of the mash. After three runs using the technique I can say that I'm on my way to the taste I've been hunting for a while.

              Harry pointed me to a site www.howtobrew.com that has some fantastic information on brewing with grains. If you want to skip some of the front end reading (but I suggest that you read the entire site) go to http://howtobrew.com/section3/chapter18.html This is giving you an overview of a beer mash but if you follow the same procedure with Corn, Rye, and Barley Malt you should be on your way to an all grain mash.

              Good luck and if you need help we'll stumble through it together.

              Tony T

              _

              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 24, 2006
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kirtgk" <kirtgk@...> wrote:

                > ive done many sugar washes and now feel ready to try something
                > different. im asking all of you for recipies and instructions using
                > cracked corn. i dont want to add in other grains and such just
                yet. as
                > far as yeast ill be using alcotec and for enzymes ive got beano.
                >
                > basicaly im going to the next level in this hobby and im loving it
                all
                > the way.
                >
                > chillin and stillin
                > kirtgk

                Corn mash recipes range from the very simple to the ridiculously
                complex, and everyone in between. The first thing you've got to ask
                yourself is..."Why do I need corn at all?" It's little more than a
                source of starch that can be converted to glucose. So are a dozen
                other grains. Sugar is easier to use (needs no converting).
                However corn has a unique flavour that signifies American whiskies,
                is relatively cheap and readily available. That's why the old
                moonshiners used both corn AND sugar; corn for the flavour, sugar
                for the yield.

                Bearing this in mind, about the simplest recipe I've seen for a mash
                of this nature is Uncle Jessie's Simple Sourmash. Guaranteed to
                work. It's here...

                http://www.homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/Uncle_Jesse%
                27s_Simple_Sour_Mash_Method

                There are others that do a very good job of corn-based likker. Our
                fellow member Flaming_Pinto uses one that's based on cornmeal. Also
                works well. See msg 24419 Nov 2004. I'll repeat it here for the
                search-challenged...

                <quote>

                I just wanted to let you guys know about a recipe for 'shine that is
                working very well for me. This recipe makes the smoothest 'shine I
                have been lucky enough to run through my still.

                2 1LBS packages of corn meal (I know, it is a mess to work with)
                5 LBS table sugar
                1.5 LBS 6-row barley - well cracked
                your favorite lager yeast

                Bring 4 gallons water to a boil, remove from heat and add in the corn
                meal, stirring to prevent lumps.
                Let sit for until cooled to 160F. The corn meal will thicken to a
                very thick porrige.
                At 160F, stir in barley. The starch from the corn meal will convert
                almost instantly and the wort will thin to a soupy mix.
                Let sit for 30 minutes at least, stirring occationally.
                Bring 1 gallon of water to a boil.
                Stir sugar into boiling water.
                Pour barley/corn meal mixture into fermentor.
                Add sugar-water to fermentor.
                When the temp has dropped to correct temperature, still in your
                yeast.
                Let sit two weeks (or until bubbling stops)

                Strain wort into your pot. I use a wire-mesh strainer. The corn
                meal is so thick and guey at this point it will catch in the strainer
                and the wort will slowly drain out. Rinse corn meal/grains well with
                hot water to get all the wort.

                most people don't like dealing with corn meal but it will give your
                brew the authentic flavor of corn without going threw the trouble of
                boiling for two-three hours and then mashing for another hour. Just
                make sure to use an appropriate strainer before distilling.

                /flaming_pinto
                </quote>

                If you want to learn about all-grain mashing, there's no better free
                online resource than John Palmer's "How To Brew".
                http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/index.html
                This will step you through all the intricacies of mashing grain.
                Then you make a mash of ~80% corn & 20% malted barley and away you
                go.

                Harking back to the question of "Why do I need corn at all?", here's
                another method I use occasionally. I am by nature a lazy bastard,
                and anything I can do to achieve a good result with minimal effort
                (read, no mess) gets my vote. Dextrose Monohydrate (Brewer's sugar,
                dextrose) is essentially a powdered glucose made from converted
                cornmeal. No mashing, no boiling, nada, Just use Dextrose, a bit
                of malt syrup (preferably) or molasses for nutrients, and yeast.
                Voila! White Lightning! Works for me.
                As an extra, you could add cracked corn ala UJ's recipe, but I've
                never found it necessary.

              • donald holcombe
                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 24, 2006
                  Is that 80-10-10 Corn Rye and barley? Im looking for a almost pure corn recipe. Im also looking for a Scotch recipe. Ive had good luck with my 3-2-1 Corn-Barley -Rye recipe. 50-33-16 % .

                  Tony Turner <tonkyman1979@...> wrote: Hi Kirt,
                  I know I'll get a half dozen people telling me what swill these recipes are but I have two for you that are easy and make a very nice spirit.

                  First, in the files section of the "New Distillers" group is a folder named "Corn Whiskey Recipe". The recipe calls for Corn, Beano, sugar and wheat malt or barley malt. Its very easy if you follow the instructions included with the recipe.

                  Second, Over on www.homedistiller.org in the Wiki section you will find Uncle Jessie's Corn Whiskey. This recipe is a very simple "no cook' corn and sugar recipe that tells you how to make a very good sour mash type spirit. Again, follow the instructions to the letter and you'll be rewarded with a nice spirit.

                  Third, I started an all grain bourbon type spirit today that I hope will be good. I used 80% 10% and 10% along with 35% back-set from one of my other corn whiskey recipes. I have taken very good notes and I'll post the results after I cook it off and age it a bit. As of now it smells wonderful in the fermenter ---- time will tell.

                  A little secret Harry shared with me was to double distill and in the second distilling run add about 40% back-set to the still. This helps carry over a LOT of the flavor of the mash. After three runs using the technique I can say that I'm on my way to the taste I've been hunting for a while.

                  Harry pointed me to a site www.howtobrew.com that has some fantastic information on brewing with grains. If you want to skip some of the front end reading (but I suggest that you read the entire site) go to http://howtobrew.com/section3/chapter18.html This is giving you an overview of a beer mash but if you follow the same procedure with Corn, Rye, and Barley Malt you should be on your way to an all grain mash.

                  Good luck and if you need help we'll stumble through it together.

                  Tony T

                  kirtgk <kirtgk@...> wrote: > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kirtgk" <kirtgk@> wrote:

                  > > ive done many sugar washes and now feel ready to try something
                  > > different. im asking all of you for recipies and instructions using
                  > > cracked corn. i dont want to add in other grains and such just yet. as
                  > > far as yeast ill be using alcotec and for enzymes ive got beano.
                  > >
                  > > basicaly im going to the next level in this hobby and im loving it all
                  > > the way.
                  > >
                  > > chillin and stillin
                  > > kirtgk

                  _

                • donald holcombe

                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 24, 2006
                      donald, ive tried many yeasts and the turbos are by far the most
                      convinent to use as they already have the nutrients with them. also
                      they are fairly fast and they are also tolerant to higher ABV% in the
                      fermenter. so for these reasons and past experiances with sugar washes
                      id recommend the turbos to you. my personal prefrance is alcotec 48. i
                      have used others (no names here for i did not like the results more
                      than the alcotec)and keep going back to alcotec. mainly for the yield
                      and slight flavor that yeast will impart on a product.

                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe <blackledge_02@...>
                      wrote:

                      > I use cornmeal in almost all my recipes. I usually let it settle out
                      dip the wort then add water to sparge.I have a chance to get 200lb of
                      dextrose, CHEAP ! Sounds like I can make some sugar wort after all.
                      What Yeast is best for sugar ?

                      > kirtgk <kirtgk@...> wrote: ive done many sugar washes and
                      now feel ready to try something
                      > different. im asking all of you for recipies and instructions using
                      > cracked corn. i dont want to add in other grains and such just yet. as
                      > far as yeast ill be using alcotec and for enzymes ive got beano.
                      >
                      > basicaly im going to the next level in this hobby and im loving it all
                      > the way.
                      >
                      > chillin and stillin
                      > kirtgk

                    • kirtgk
                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 24, 2006
                        yes cary i agree to the art stament. hence the seeking help.
                        i may just have to get this book from mr. or mrs. smiley after all!!

                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Cary Rhodes" <rhodeseng@...> wrote:

                        > Kirk
                        >
                        > the recipe is very easy as far as the proportions of components.
                        > Its the proceedure that is more complex.
                        >
                        > In it simplest terms, you have got to heat the mash to convert the
                        > starch in the corn using malted grains to get fermentable sugars for
                        > the yeast to do its job.
                        >
                        > Smiley's book is the best and simplest proceedure. He elaborates on
                        > a cooked mash and a noncooked sour mash method.
                        >
                        > there is definately and art to cooked mash.
                        >
                        > cary
                        >

                        > -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kirtgk" <kirtgk@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > thanks rod for the info. i was actually looking for a less cost way
                        > > for recipes like ones the group members pass around to each other.
                        > im
                        > > not ready to spend around 25.00 dollars for something i may not
                        > > enjoy, follow my drift??
                        > >
                        > > if youve got some recipies id love it if youd share them with me.
                        > > contact me via email to save on unecessary posting of messages.
                        > >
                        > > thanks in advance
                        > > kirtgk
                        > >

                        > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rodmacd2000" <rmacdoug@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Get a copy of Ian Smiley's book "Making Pure Corn Whiskey".
                        > Available
                        > > > at Mr Smiley's own WEB site ( http://www.home-distilling.com )
                        > for US
                        > > > $25 including postage. Also can be purchased from the Amphora
                        > Society (
                        > > > http://www.amphora-society.com )and Brewhaus US (
                        > www.brewhaus.com ).
                        > > >
                        > > > I have no financial interest in the book - I'm just an admirer
                        > of Ian
                        > > > Smiley.

                        > using
                        > yet. as
                        > beano.

                        > loving it all

                      • kirtgk
                        Message 11 of 28 , Sep 24, 2006
                          thankyou! by all means thanks!
                          you have pointed me to the rescources i need(been looking for) ive
                          done many searches, and gotten some results but most of them were on
                          many different items, not what youve pointed me to

                          thanks again kirtgk

                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Tony Turner <tonkyman1979@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Kirt,
                          > I know I'll get a half dozen people telling me what swill these
                          recipes are but I have two for you that are easy and make a very nice
                          spirit.

                          > First, in the files section of the "New Distillers" group is a
                          folder named "Corn Whiskey Recipe". The recipe calls for Corn, Beano,
                          sugar and wheat malt or barley malt. Its very easy if you follow the
                          instructions included with the recipe.

                          > Second, Over on www.homedistiller.org in the Wiki section you will
                          find Uncle Jessie's Corn Whiskey. This recipe is a very simple "no
                          cook' corn and sugar recipe that tells you how to make a very good
                          sour mash type spirit. Again, follow the instructions to the letter
                          and you'll be rewarded with a nice spirit.

                          > Third, I started an all grain bourbon type spirit today that I hope
                          will be good. I used 80% 10% and 10% along with 35% back-set from one
                          of my other corn whiskey recipes. I have taken very good notes and
                          I'll post the results after I cook it off and age it a bit. As of now
                          it smells wonderful in the fermenter ---- time will tell.

                          > A little secret Harry shared with me was to double distill and in
                          the second distilling run add about 40% back-set to the still. This
                          helps carry over a LOT of the flavor of the mash. After three runs
                          using the technique I can say that I'm on my way to the taste I've
                          been hunting for a while.

                          > Harry pointed me to a site www.howtobrew.com that has some fantastic
                          information on brewing with grains. If you want to skip some of the
                          front end reading (but I suggest that you read the entire site) go to
                          http://howtobrew.com/section3/chapter18.html This is giving you an
                          overview of a beer mash but if you follow the same procedure with
                          Corn, Rye, and Barley Malt you should be on your way to an all grain mash.

                          > Good luck and if you need help we'll stumble through it together.
                          >
                          > Tony T
                          >
                          > kirtgk <kirtgk@...> wrote: > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com,
                          "kirtgk" <kirtgk@> wrote:

                          > > > ive done many sugar washes and now feel ready to try something
                          > > > different. im asking all of you for recipies and instructions using
                          > > > cracked corn. i dont want to add in other grains and such just
                          yet. as
                          > > > far as yeast ill be using alcotec and for enzymes ive got beano.
                          > > >
                          > > > basicaly im going to the next level in this hobby and im loving
                          it all
                          > > > the way.
                          > > >
                          > > > chillin and stillin
                          > > > kirtgk
                          > > >

                          > _

                        • kirtgk
                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 24, 2006
                            youve helped me before and yet another time. thanks harry.
                            ive studied the uncle jessie recipie and im more intersted in getting
                            the full corn effect not just some flavoring like it says.

                            as for the cornmeal recipe i tried to email flaming_pinto and the mail
                            was returned as the email address was discontinued or cancelled.
                            if anyone out there is "flaming_pinto" then please email me for i ame
                            intersted in your procedures if your willing to share them.

                            thanks kirtgk

                            Message 13 of 28 , Sep 24, 2006
                              Oops! Sorry Tony, didn't mean to steal yer thunder. Seems our posts
                              crossed.

                            • Tony Turner
                              Message 14 of 28 , Sep 24, 2006
                                No problem Harry. Your advice is always better than mine. Heck! most of what I know about any of this came from you or your site. I take the advice and then try what I've read and been told. It seems to work well that way. Thank you for all you've taught me.

                                Humbly,
                                Tony T

                                Message 15 of 28 , Sep 24, 2006
                                  Hi Donald,
                                  It is 80-10-10 Corn Rye Barley Malt. I think my next try will be 75-10-15. The SG was a little lower than I had thought it would be (1.05) I may have added too much water trying to coll it down so that may be why it's low. I used a course ground rye flour because that was all I could get locally and I know I won't be doing that again, it's messy and thick. I've built a mash tun out of a 40QT cooler and some slotted PVC but I didn't use it because of the rye flour (I didn't think it would drain).

                                  I may stir in a few pounds of sugar in a couple of days to get the yield up but I kinda wanted it to be just the grain on this one. What are your thoughts?

                                  This was my first attempt at all grain and while it didn't do exactly what I wanted I do know where I made my mistakes and I think I will be better prepared for my next attempt.

                                  BTW! Did you ever post the 7 box breakfast beer recipe? I really want to try it.

                                  You guys are the best. Thanks for being here to help us newbies.

                                  Tony T

                                  donald holcombe <blackledge_02@...> wrote: Is that 80-10-10 Corn Rye and barley? Im looking for a almost pure corn recipe. Im also looking for a Scotch recipe. Ive had good luck with my 3-2-1 Corn-Barley -Rye recipe. 50-33-16 % .

                                • rodmacd2000
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Sep 25, 2006
                                    Suit yourself Kirk but I can't understand why you are willing to
                                    invest several hours of your time and a fair number of dollars in
                                    material to experiment rather that spend a lousy $25 to get the word
                                    from the guru who is the recognized expert on this subject.

                                    As usual my opinion FWIW
                                    Rod

                                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kirtgk" <kirtgk@...> wrote:

                                    > thanks rod for the info. i was actually looking for a less cost way
                                    > for recipes like ones the group members pass around to each other. im
                                    > not ready to spend around 25.00 dollars for something i may not
                                    > enjoy, follow my drift??
                                    >
                                    > if youve got some recipies id love it if youd share them with me.
                                    > contact me via email to save on unecessary posting of messages.
                                    >
                                    > thanks in advance
                                    > kirtgk
                                    >

                                    > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rodmacd2000" <rmacdoug@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Get a copy of Ian Smiley's book "Making Pure Corn Whiskey". Available
                                    > > at Mr Smiley's own WEB site ( http://www.home-distilling.com ) for US
                                    > > $25 including postage. Also can be purchased from the Amphora
                                    Society (
                                    > > http://www.amphora-society.com )and Brewhaus US ( www.brewhaus.com ).
                                    > >
                                    > > I have no financial interest in the book - I'm just an admirer of Ian
                                    > > Smiley.
                                    > >
                                    > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kirtgk" <kirtgk@> wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > ive done many sugar washes and now feel ready to try something
                                    > > > different. im asking all of you for recipies and instructions using
                                    > > > cracked corn. i dont want to add in other grains and such just
                                    yet. as
                                    > > > far as yeast ill be using alcotec and for enzymes ive got beano.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > basicaly im going to the next level in this hobby and im loving
                                    it all
                                    > > > the way.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > chillin and stillin
                                    > > > kirtgk

                                  • tyler_97355
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Sep 25, 2006
                                      Somewhere i heard that a turbo yeast can add a bad flavor to your
                                      whisky. I have always used ec-1118 or bread yeast for my whisky. I
                                      don't think that the old time moonshiners were using lab grown
                                      specially cultivated yeast for their whisky. I would also imagine
                                      that the grains in the mash would supply plenty of nutrients for the
                                      yeast. I could be wrong on the turbo yeast, but that is just what i
                                      have heard. Just i two cents.

                                      -Tyler

                                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kirtgk" <kirtgk@...> wrote:

                                      > donald, ive tried many yeasts and the turbos are by far the most
                                      > convinent to use as they already have the nutrients with them. also
                                      > they are fairly fast and they are also tolerant to higher ABV% in
                                      the
                                      > fermenter. so for these reasons and past experiances with sugar
                                      washes
                                      > id recommend the turbos to you. my personal prefrance is alcotec
                                      48. i
                                      > have used others (no names here for i did not like the results more
                                      > than the alcotec)and keep going back to alcotec. mainly for the
                                      yield
                                      > and slight flavor that yeast will impart on a product.
                                      >

                                      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe <blackledge_02@>
                                      > wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > I use cornmeal in almost all my recipes. I usually let it settle
                                      out
                                      > dip the wort then add water to sparge.I have a chance to get 200lb
                                      of
                                      > dextrose, CHEAP ! Sounds like I can make some sugar wort after all.
                                      > What Yeast is best for sugar ?
                                      > >
                                      > > kirtgk <kirtgk@> wrote: ive done many sugar washes and
                                      > now feel ready to try something
                                      > > different. im asking all of you for recipies and instructions
                                      using
                                      > > cracked corn. i dont want to add in other grains and such just
                                      yet. as
                                      > > far as yeast ill be using alcotec and for enzymes ive got beano.
                                      > >
                                      > > basicaly im going to the next level in this hobby and im loving
                                      it all
                                      > > the way.
                                      > >
                                      > > chillin and stillin
                                      > > kirtgk

                                    • donald holcombe

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Sep 25, 2006
                                            no offense intended. just wanted to fish the waters and possiably find
                                            one to try. seems as though ill keep searching fo now. wife dosnt like
                                            the fact of cash going into a hobby she dosnt participate in. if she
                                            drinks, it MUST be new years eve:-)

                                          • Tony Turner
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Sep 25, 2006
                                              Hi Kirt,
                                              I found these recipes today so I just copied and pasted them to this message. Maybe one of them will work for you.

                                              Good luck,
                                              Tony T

                                              Whiskey

                                              INGREDIENTS:
                                              10 lbs. Whole kernel corn, untreated
                                              5 Gallons Water
                                              1 Cup Yeast, champagne yeast starter

                                              DIRECTIONS:
                                              Put corn in a burlap bag and wet with warm water. Place bag in a warm dark
                                              place and keep moist for about ten days. When the sprouts are about a 1/4" long
                                              the corn is ready for the next step. Wash the corn in a tub of water, rubbing
                                              the sprouts and roots off.. Throw the sprouts and roots away and transfer the
                                              corn into your primary fermenter. With a pole or another hard object mash the
                                              corn, make sure all kernels are cracked. Next add 5 gallons of boiling water
                                              and when the mash cools add yeast. Seal fermenter and vent with a water sealed
                                              vent. Fermentation will take 7-10 days. When fermentation is done, pour into
                                              still filtering through a pillow case to remove all solids.

                                              RYE WHISKEY

                                              INGREDIENTS:
                                              7 Lbs. Rye
                                              2 Lbs. Barley
                                              1 Lbs. Malt
                                              6 gallons of water
                                              3 grams Yeast
                                              1 gram Ammonium-fluoride.

                                              DIRECTIONS:
                                              Heat water to 70 degrees and then mix in malt and grain. While stirring the
                                              mixture slowly heat to 160 degrees (raise temperature 5 degrees every 2
                                              minutes). Keep mixture at 160 degrees stirring constantly for 2-3 hours to
                                              convert starch into fermentable sugar and dextrin. Filter off liquid and place
                                              into fermentation device and allow to cool to 70- 80 degrees. Immediately pitch
                                              with 3 grams of yeast. To avoid secondary fermentation and contamination add 1
                                              gram of ammonium-fluoride. Stir liquid for 1 minute then cover and seal with a
                                              airlock.Mash will take 5-7 days to ferment. After fermentation is complete pour
                                              into, still filtering through a pillow case to remove all solids.

                                              GOOD WHISKEY

                                              I thought you might like my moonshine recipe. I've made countless gallons of good whiskey with this one. I haven't made any in several years, but one of these days I'm going to buy a fine still made by you and.............

                                              The ingredients are malt, sugar, yeast and rain water. You can buy the malt from any big supermarket, if they don't have it they will order it for you. The brand names for the malt and yeast I always used was Blue Ribbon, and Red Top. The malt is a liquid and comes in a can, the yeast comes in cakes.

                                              To every can of malt you will add 5 gallons of warm water, disolve 5 pounds of sugar and add 1 cake of yeast. Mix all this together in a barrel made of plastic, stainless steel, or copper, under no circumstances use aluminum. Keep it covered with cheese cloth to keep the bugs out. Keep it in a warm place till it ferments. Then you can cook it off in your still and you have the smoothest whiskey you have ever tasted.

                                              After you run off the whiskey, it is clear like water. You can color it by taking a piece of dry fruit wood (or maple), burn the fruit wood over a flame till it is blackened real good, then drop the burned fruitwood in your clear whiskey. In a few days the whiskey will be the color of store bought whiskey.

                                              I hope you find this recipe to be to your satisfaction.

                                              JD's Black Label Recipe It consists of 80% corn, 12% rye, 8% malt (a high enzyme 6-row variety will be needed). Steep your ingredients in 140 to 150 degree water for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Wait until it has cooled to 68 degrees before adding your yeast. After fermentation, it is distilled once in a pot still with a thumper, then filtered through a 10 foot layer of maple charcoal (this takes about 4 days). It then is placed in new, charred American oak barrels where it ages for 5 years, 6 months before it is bottled. But instead of aging in oak barrels, you can fish out a piece of half burned white oak from the fire place, crush it up and place this in the container with your product. Shake it up once a day for about 3 months and then filter it through a coffee filter for a beautiful amber color. Cut it back to 80 or 90 proof for a smooth taste.

                                              The premium brand called Gentlemen J is aged in the same way, with the same grain bill, but it is filtered through maple charcoal again after aging.
                                              Sweetened with a dash of REAL maple syrup (the kind that has a slight smokey flavor)- this will taste JUST like the store bought spirit- but will be a LOT smoother. The spirit should be aged at less than 65%abv, to prevent vanillins from clouding up the smokey sweetness from the maple syrup.
                                              WATERMELON-ELDERBERRY MOONSHINE BRANDY
                                              32 Ib watermelon
                                              1 1/4 Ib dried elderberries
                                              water to 5 gallon
                                              juice and zest of 10 lemons
                                              36 cups granulated sugar
                                              wine or distillers yeast
                                              Cut the rind off of melon, cut melon into one-inch cubes, remove loose seeds, and put melon and any free juice in primary (crock, plastic pail, etc.). Grate the yellow thinly off ten lemons, then juice the lemons and add the juice and zest (gratings) to primary. Add dried elderberries. Add water to make up 5 gallons. Stir in sugar and stir well to dissolve. Cover primary with cloth, wait 12 hours and add yeast. Cover and ferment 3 days, stirring daily. Strain juice into secondary (demijohn) and fit airlock. Ferment 30 days.
                                              MOUNTAIN DEW RECIPE

                                              In making "Mountain Dew" or "White Lightnin'" the first step is to convert the starch of the grain into sugar. (Commercial distillers use malt.) This is done by "sprouting" the corn. Shelled, whole corn is covered with warm water in a container with a hole in the bottom. Place a hot cloth over it. Add warm water from time to time as it drains. Keep in a warm place for about 3 days or until corn has 2 inch sprouts. Dry it and grind it into meal. Make mush (or mash) with boiling water. Add rye mash that has been made the same way, if you have it. Yeast (1/2 pound per 50 gallons of mash) may be added to speed up the fermentation if you have it. Without it, 10 or more days will be required instead of about 4. In either case, it must be kept warm. When the mash gets through "working" or bubbling up and settles down, it is then ready to run. At this stage, the mash has been converted into carbonic acid and alcohol. It is called "wash" or beer and it is sour.. The
                                              "cooker" consists of two main parts, mainly the top and the bottom. After the mash is put inside, the top is pasted on with "red dog chop" or some other paste. This is so that if the fire is too hot and pressure builds up, the top will blow off preventing an explosion which might wreck the still. In the top of the cooker a copper pipe, or "arm" projects over to one side and tapers down from a 4 or 5 inch diameter to the same diameter as the "worm" (one or one and a quarter inch). To make the "worm," a 20 foot copper pipe is filled with sand, the ends are stopped up, and it is wrapped around a fence post. The sand prevents "kinking" of the pipe. The spiral or coil, called the worm, is then cleaned and attached firmly to the end of the arm in such a way that it is down inside a barrel. The barrel will be kept full of cold, running water. Of the water runs in the top and out an opening at the bottom, it can circulate better. A fire under the cooker causes the spirit
                                              to rise in vapor along with the steam. it goes into the arm and then the worm where the cold water causes condensation. This is collected at the end in a container. The first run off, or "singlings", is weak and impure and must be redistilled to rid it of water and rank oils. for the second run off, or the "doublings," the cooker is cleaned out and the singlings, along with some water, is heated and run through again. The first quart will be far too strong (about 200 proof) and toward the last it will be weak (about 10 proof). The skill is in the mixing to make it 100 proof. If a tablespoon of the liquid does not"flash" or burn when thrown on the fire, there is not enough alcohol left to bother running any more. To test for the right proof, a small glass vial is used. When the small bubbles rise properly after the vial is tilted and when they set half above and half below the top of the liquid, then it is the right proof. The liquor is then filtered through
                                              charcoal and is ready for consumption. There are many ways of making moonshine. This is just one way. For other ways, check with your nearest revenuer.

                                              Moonshine
                                              5 gallon bucket of sweet feed (Sweet feed has several different grains and molasses making it a great tasting whiskey.)
                                              one package of yeast (using distillers yeast will increase quality and quantity)
                                              5 pounds sugar
                                              water

                                              Put enough feed to cover bottom of 5 gallon bucket a good 4 inches deep Add 5 pounds of sugar. Fill 1/2 full with boiling water. Mix until sugar is dissolved. Mix the rest and finish filling with warm water. Add the yeast after it has cooled to the recomended temperture on the yeast label. Cover with lid--our lid has a little cap that screws on, leave it loose to breathe.

                                              4-5 days later it's ready to run! This is an old-timer recipe and works quite well. My liquor is always 150-180 proof. I don't recommend this for pot stills unless you filter it by pouring it through a pillow case into a 5 gallon bucket after it has finished fermenting. Otherwise the meal will settle and burn in the bottom of your still. Some folks leave the solids in the pillow case and tie it off where it will not touch the bottom of the still.
                                              WATERMELON-GRAPE MOONSHINE BRANDY
                                              30 Ib watermelon
                                              7-1/2 Ib fresh table red or green grapes
                                              water to 5 gallon
                                              juice and zest of 10 lemons
                                              24 cups granulated sugar
                                              wine or distillers yeast
                                              Cut the rind off of melon, cut melon into one-inch cubes, remove loose seeds, and put melon and any free juice in primary (crock, plastic pail, etc.). Thinly grate the yellow off ten lemons, juice the lemons, and add the juice and zest (gratings) to primary. Separately, wash, destem, and crush the grapes well in a bowl. Add grapes and grape juice. Add water to make up 5 gallon. Add sugar and stir well to dissolve. Cover primary with cloth, wait 24 hours. Add yeast. Cover and ferment 5 days, stirring dairy. Strain juice into secondary (demijohn) and fit airlock. Ferment 30 days.

                                              WHEAT GERM RECIPE

                                              you need

                                              1 jar 20oz. of wheatgerm this can be found by the oatmeal in most grocery
                                              stores
                                              2oz. of an acid blend witch has citric acid, malic acid and another this can
                                              be found in any liqour stores that sell home brewing stuff
                                              5 lbs sugar the cheep stuff works just as good as the name brand
                                              and 5 gallons of water
                                              1oz of bear yeast

                                              All you need to do is steep in water at 180 degrees all of the ingredients except for the yeast for about 30 min while that is steeping put the packet of yeast in a glass of room temperature water as instructed on the packet of yeast after the mix cools filter it into a 6 1/2 gallon glass jar to remove the wheat germ and add the yeast the mix must be no hotter than 80 degrees farenhet and no cooler than 65 degrees or the yeast will die. Check the yeast package for proper temperature. Place a bubbler in the top of the jar when it stops bubbling the mix is ready to distill or is a very good wine that taste like pears. This is the easiest recipe I have found. It's a moonshiners dream.
                                              WELCH"S FROZEN GRAPE JUICE MOONSHINE BRANDY
                                              10 cans (11.5 oz) Welch's 100% frozen grape concentrate
                                              7 Ibs granulated sugar
                                              water to make 5 gallons
                                              wine or distillers yeast
                                              Bring 5 quarts of water to boil and dissolve the sugar in the water. Remove from heat and add frozen concentrate. Add additional water to make five gallons and pour into secondary. Add remaining ingredients except yeast. Cover with cloth fastened with rubber band and set aside 12 hours. after cooling to proper yeast temperature, add activated yeast and recover with cloth. Ferment 30 days..

                                            • Robert Hubble
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Sep 25, 2006
                                                I'd second that recommendation, and I don't own stock in Smiley, either.

                                                Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                                                >From: "rodmacd2000" <rmacdoug@...>
                                                >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                                >Subject: [Distillers] Re: looking for all corn recipies and instructions.
                                                >Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 17:03:19 -0000
                                                >
                                                >Get a copy of Ian Smiley's book "Making Pure Corn Whiskey". Available
                                                >at Mr Smiley's own WEB site ( http://www.home-distilling.com ) for US
                                                >$25 including postage. Also can be purchased from the Amphora Society (
                                                >http://www.amphora-society.com )and Brewhaus US ( www.brewhaus.com ).
                                                >
                                                >I have no financial interest in the book - I'm just an admirer of Ian
                                                >Smiley.
                                                >
                                                >--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kirtgk" <kirtgk@...> wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > ive done many sugar washes and now feel ready to try something
                                                > > different. im asking all of you for recipies and instructions using
                                                > > cracked corn. i dont want to add in other grains and such just yet. as
                                                > > far as yeast ill be using alcotec and for enzymes ive got beano.
                                                > >
                                                > > basicaly im going to the next level in this hobby and im loving it all
                                                > > the way.
                                                > >
                                                > > chillin and stillin
                                                > > kirtgk

                                                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                                Share your special moments by uploading 500 photos per month to Windows Live
                                                Spaces
                                                http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://www.get.live.com/spaces/features
                                              • Sven Pfitt
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Sep 26, 2006
                                                  I would not expect a 'bad' flavor from it, it just is not necessary.
                                                  Turbo yeast is designed for sugar wash and has nutrients included.

                                                  This is not necessary when fermenting beer with a low ajunct (added
                                                  sugar) content as the grain provides all the nutrients needed.

                                                  I've found bread yeast to be closest to belgian chimay yeast in ester
                                                  profile and don't consider it the best yeast for whisky, however it
                                                  is cheap. I found a pound container of it at Wally Land for $1.75us.

                                                  I still prefer London Ale yeast, Scottish Ale yeast and SNPA yeast in
                                                  that order for ester content. SNPA yeast is very clean. Scottish is
                                                  smokey, London has a nice all around ester profile.

                                                  ymmv.

                                                  Sven

                                                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...> wrote:

                                                  > Somewhere i heard that a turbo yeast can add a bad flavor to your
                                                  > whisky. I have always used ec-1118 or bread yeast for my whisky. I
                                                  > don't think that the old time moonshiners were using lab grown
                                                  > specially cultivated yeast for their whisky. I would also imagine
                                                  > that the grains in the mash would supply plenty of nutrients for
                                                  the
                                                  > yeast. I could be wrong on the turbo yeast, but that is just what i
                                                  > have heard. Just i two cents.
                                                  >
                                                  > -Tyler
                                                  >
                                                  > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kirtgk" <kirtgk@> wrote:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > donald, ive tried many yeasts and the turbos are by far the most
                                                  > > convinent to use as they already have the nutrients with them.
                                                  also
                                                  > > they are fairly fast and they are also tolerant to higher ABV% in
                                                  > the
                                                  > > fermenter. so for these reasons and past experiances with sugar
                                                  > washes
                                                  > > id recommend the turbos to you. my personal prefrance is alcotec
                                                  > 48. i
                                                  > > have used others (no names here for i did not like the results
                                                  more
                                                  > > than the alcotec)and keep going back to alcotec. mainly for the
                                                  > yield
                                                  > > and slight flavor that yeast will impart on a product.
                                                  > >

                                                  > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe
                                                  <blackledge_02@>
                                                  > > wrote:
                                                  > > >
                                                  > > > I use cornmeal in almost all my recipes. I usually let it
                                                  settle
                                                  > out
                                                  > > dip the wort then add water to sparge.I have a chance to get
                                                  200lb
                                                  > of
                                                  > > dextrose, CHEAP ! Sounds like I can make some sugar wort after
                                                  all.
                                                  > > What Yeast is best for sugar ?
                                                  > > >
                                                  > > > kirtgk <kirtgk@> wrote: ive done many sugar washes and
                                                  > > now feel ready to try something
                                                  > > > different. im asking all of you for recipies and instructions
                                                  > using
                                                  > > > cracked corn. i dont want to add in other grains and such just
                                                  > yet. as
                                                  > > > far as yeast ill be using alcotec and for enzymes ive got beano.
                                                  > > >
                                                  > > > basicaly im going to the next level in this hobby and im loving
                                                  > it all
                                                  > > > the way.
                                                  > > >
                                                  > > > chillin and stillin
                                                  > > > kirtgk

                                                • Robert Thomas
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Sep 26, 2006
                                                    --- Tony Turner <tonkyman1979@...> wrote:

                                                    <big snip>
                                                    > 1 gram Ammonium-fluoride.
                                                    <big snip>

                                                    Jeez! what were they doing? making fancy etchings on the bottles?
                                                    don't use ammonium fluoride: it corrodes glass and on heating from acid
                                                    solution releases hydrogen fluoride (HF is highly toxic and very
                                                    selectively corrosive: it will soak through flesh without you noticing
                                                    and dissolve your bones. Not 1 gram, mind, but you get my point).
                                                    I guess those old-timers just grabbed the nearest stuff to throw in!

                                                    Cheers,
                                                    Rob.

                                                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                                                  • Mark
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Sep 30, 2006
                                                      For a small cost increase, flaked corn is a LOT easier to process than
                                                      corn meal.
                                                    • kirtgk
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Sep 30, 2006
                                                        im new at all this grain and such so if you please id love to hear
                                                        some instructions and procedures if youve got the time.

                                                        kirtgk

                                                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <markgofast@...> wrote:

                                                        > For a small cost increase, flaked corn is a LOT easier to process than
                                                        > corn meal.

                                                      • r_g_wilson2
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Sep 30, 2006
                                                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <markgofast@...> wrote:

                                                          > For a small cost increase, flaked corn is a LOT easier to process
                                                          than
                                                          > corn meal.

                                                          Hi Mark,

                                                          What type of "flaked corn" are you asking about? "Brewers" flaked corn
                                                          or "Feed" flaked corn used for livestock (and bourbon :^) ). A huge
                                                          difference between these products. I've noticed when browsing through
                                                          a lot of old e-mails in the forum that most people to not state the
                                                          specific flaked corn product they are talking about.

                                                          I'll let you answer before I go on.

                                                          --rgw
                                                        • donald holcombe
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Oct 1 6:39 PM
                                                            Are you talking about breakfast corn flakes or flakes like for brewing?

                                                            Mark <markgofast@...> wrote: For a small cost increase, flaked corn is a LOT easier to process than
                                                            corn meal.