Re: Fwd: Oak Maturation

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 22, 2006
      It appears that "the S.G. of oak is approx. 1000 kg/cubic metre" is
      incorrect. It probably refers to unseasoned oak. Here is a more
      authorative source -

      "The ideal ethanol concentration that yields the maximum solid
      extraction is approximately 55% (v/v) (Singleton and Draper, 1961).
      For the production of lighter products, lower proofs can be used
      yielding a product with less extractives and having a different
      composition. A barrel for 200 litres has as much as 90 square cm/litre
      of wood surface. Evaporation, extraction, oxidation and component
      reactions are maturation efffects related to the conditions of the
      barrels, and they will increase as more wood surface is in contact
      with a unit of beverage (Singleton, 1955). Each mm penetration of the
      beverage to the wood will contribute some 9 cubic cm of extracted oak
      or 5.4 grams of soluble oak solids, assuming a density of 0.6 g/cubic
      cm, and 10X flavor threshold (Singleton, 1995)."

      So 5 grams of oak chips/litre of 55%abv is the
      recommendation.Duration? From 10 days to 10 months.
      This is approx. 2 tablespoons/quart.

      For S.G. of woods -
      http://www.simetric.co.uk/si_wood.htm

      wal