Re: [Distillers] Re: Why 40%abv

  • Derek Hamlet
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 20, 2006
      yes, I've read similar histories of how alcohol came to be 40%abv.
      The other side to the coin is that the higher the
      %abv, the harder it is on the sensitive tissues of the gastro intestinal track.
      Try taking a drop or two of 95% alcohol from your
      still and putting it on your varnished
      tabletop. It melts that stuff in seconds.
      Paint thinner has nothing on this stuff. Well
      that's what everclear does when some folks toss
      one back at the bar in Hyder Alaska.
      That burning feeling is exactly that.
      At 10:07 PM 9/19/2006, you wrote:

      >Actually D.I.Mendeleyev did not propose that 40%abv should be the
      >standard strength for vodka. He actually never drank vodka but only
      >occasionally dry wine.
      >In 1887 he published a paper on "Combination of ethyl alcohol and
      >water" that showed that between 17.6% and 46% by weight, no change in
      >properties is observed.
      >
      >In 1851 there were 3 grades of Russian vodka (then called 'vino') -
      >Polugar - 38°
      >Pjennoje vino - 44.25°
      >Trjokhprobnoje vino - 47.4°
      >
      >In 1868 there appeared a new regulation stipulated that vodka (then
      >called 'vino i spirt') could not be below 40° Tralles.
      >
      >It appears then that it was just a case of a convenient rounding off!
      >
      >wal
      > From
      > (<http://www.isuct.ru/dept/vhk/mendel2.html>http://www.isuct.ru/dept/vhk/mendel2.html)
      >(40%abvolume = 33.3%abweight)
      >
      >--- In
      ><mailto:Distillers%40yahoogroups.com>Distillers@yahoogroups.com,
      >"waljaco" <waljaco@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > From 'About Russian Vodka'
      > >
      > (<http://www.rubin.perm.ru/webs/777/en/classics.htm>http://www.rubin.perm.ru/webs/777/en/classics.htm
      > >
      > > "The modern Russian vodka owes its recipe to Dmitri Ivanovich
      > > Mendeleyev, the creator of the periodic system. It was Mendeleyev who
      > > discovered that the ideal proportion of water and alcohol is in the
      > > vodka of 40% (less or more % may cause damage to the health of the
      > > consumer). In 1894 the Russian government issued a patent for
      > > Mendeleyev's vodka which was named 'Moskovskaya Osobaya' (Moscow's
      > > Special). 40% standard has brought Russian vodka apart from other
      > > European spirits that contained either more or less than the 'golden
      > > middle standard' required."
      > >
      > > From 'Dmitri Mendeleev'
      > >
      > (<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmitri_Mendeleev>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmitri_Mendeleev
      > >
      > > "Mendeleev is also credited for scientifical justification of
      > > the 'optimal' ratio of alcohol of 40% used in Russian vodka."
      > >
      > > wal

      Derek