Re: Wood Chips

  • Larry
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 9, 2006
      At 09:49 PM 09/08/2006, you wrote:
      >Yeah, i don't even cook with mesquite as the Texas
      >boys do. To me it has a creosote finish/after taste.

      The best South Texas barbecue is actually made with a mix of 60% Mesquite
      and 40% Oak, for exactly the reason you mention.

      That's what nearly all the BBQ restaurants south of Waco use.

      North of Waco, you they don't smoke it long enough, and use only pure Oak
      or Oak mixed with a little Pecan, or Hickory sawdust.

      If beef brisket is smoked correctly, a pure mesquite fire will flavor the
      meat way too strongly, and in fact may put a thick "Smoke Crust" on it that
      can even cause "Intestinal Distress"... it'll give you The Trots.

      I couldn't imagine flavoring liquor with it. Like you said, you might just
      well go out and shave some slivers off the nearest telephone pole, and
      throw them into your jug to age.