Re: [Distillers] Re: Investing in copper

  • Link D'Antoni
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006
      "You will find that the State is the kind of
      organization which, though it does big things badly,
      does small things badly, too."
      -- John Kenneth Galbraith

      (That goes for all of 'em.)

      > > The reasons why were reported 2 weeks ago in
      > new_distillers...

      > > But you're right about the pot scrubbers
      > disappearing. A friend
      > of
      > > mine scoured (pun intended) the Atherton
      > Tablelands supermarkets
      > and
      > > came up with the last 5 in captivity. There's
      > none in any Cairns
      > > chain-stores. Jeez...bananas at $12 a kilo, no
      > bloody
      > copper...what
      > > next? Ah well, there's a State election this
      > Saturday, so we in
      > > Queensland can show our disgust with Premier Pete.
      > ;-)
      > >

      > > Slainte!
      > > regards Harry

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Toni Smith
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006
        This so called shortage is just an opportunistic price hike. About 95% of
        the crop was actually already harvested. Most of the pickers had already
        moved on to other crops in other areas due to lack of work. I know a lot of
        seasonal workers as I have followed the harvest trail myself.

        Toni Smith

        MSN Messenger HYPERLINK
        "mailto:tonimarie29@..."tonimarie29@...

        Yahoo Messenger HYPERLINK
        "mailto:tonimarie29au@..."tonimarie29au@...

        ~*~*~Love is a hearts willingness to overcome any obstacle at any
        price...Only those who truly love can accomplish this...it is one of the
        only things worth fighting for~*~*~

        > > Jeez...bananas at $12 a kilo, no bloody
        > > copper...what next?
        >
        > But WHY did Lady Fingers go up to $10 a
        > kilo ? There was no cyclone in Balina.

        ..........Bananas are bananas, cavs, ladys, breed doesn't matter.
        It's supply & demand, like everything else. Imports are banned
        (risk of disease, aka 'bullshit'), and the banana industry is
        determined to re-establish at consumers expense. They even had a
        growers meeting up here where the growers were advised by the
        control board to 'not' return & grow too quickly. The idea was to
        return to full production 'gradually' so as not to flood the market
        and drive prices down. The growers who chose to 'not grow now' were
        to be compensated (paid) for waiting. Where do you think the cash
        came from for compensation? Yup, from the exorbitantly high prices
        being asked for the limited produce available. If that ain't a
        novel way of 'price fixing', then I'm a monkey's uncle.