Re: copper scrubber question

  • krazydiamond65
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2006
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "izdrunk" <izdrunk@...> wrote:

      > What is the lifespan of copper scrubber mesh in a stainless steel
      > tower? I have used it aa few times and I backwash after each run.
      > Just wondering.

      I stoppped using copper mesh in a stainless column as I had problems
      with a silvery deposit working it's way up the mesh and eventually
      coming out with the spirit, esp as the %abv dropped. Wasn't sure
      whether this was a time thing or corrosion problem increasing as the
      amount of water in vapour increased, but when looking on the home
      distillation site for answers (I think it was there), found a table
      giving the galvanic corrosiveness of various metals. Worked out that
      copper was likely to corrode when in contact with stainless and an
      electrolyte. Same thing happened when I tried to attch a copper
      condensor to my stainless column.

      I've since gone to an all copper column/condensor and the mesh just
      needs a bath in citric acid, lemon juice or vinegar to remove the
      tarnish before I do a clean spirit run, and although I'm prob losing
      a bit through the cleaning and use, it's lasting ok, much better than
      in the stainless column. Much may depend on the type of wash, and the
      boiling vessel also... good luck!