My new toy

  • miciofelice2003
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2006
      Ciao a tutti.

      My new toy is finished: I have to thanks a lot Claudio that realized
      it making a lot of acrobatic feats with his tools to build the
      column, but the result is really nice.

      Anyway: the column is reacting very well to any variation of
      distillation regime, and it's also having a good capability to
      separate the components.

      Having the boiler at 92 °C the bottom column was 91 °c and the top
      column was 88 °C. The middle comun was about 86.5 °C-
      The delta P were some 2 mm of water column the bottom Venturi and 3
      mm of water column the top Venturi.

      This made me a little bit disappointed because my calculation gave a
      delta P of 4 and 5 mm of water column, respectively.

      May be I simplified too much my calculations, but next version will
      have the Venturi sections a little bit more narrow.

      The taste was good, but Claudio and me only tasted a little bit
      because the column was new and it was too early to drink the
      distillate: in fact the copper was still "nacked" because was just
      cleaned inside with chloridric acid to eliminate all the oxides of
      welding.

      So, column need to form inside the patina of oxides to protect the
      metal from any attack.

      I'm planning to use the column this November to distillate some
      second wine: at that period it will be perfect and I will report my
      impression about the taste.

      The conclusions are that the column work in good way and there is
      still the possibility to improve it.

      A picture of the column under test is on the photobucket

      http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/m35/miciofelice/

      Ciao a tutti
      da

      micio felice