Wood Chips

  • link2d
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 4, 2006
      Wood Experiment

      The premise for this wood experiment is that I use woods for
      grilling and slow cook (BBQing). I have a feel (taste) for the
      transfer of smoked flavors into meats. I was wondering of the
      ability to transfer flavors into spirits of the same wood. The
      primary woods that I use are Hickory for grilling, Cherry, Lemon/
      Orange, Maple, and Pecan for slow cooking. I've added Live Oak,
      which is used in the fire place, to the mix for kicks and grins.
      Wood was freshly chipped from logs from the wood pile. Although the
      chips/splinters would be immersed in alcohol they were soaked in
      sodium metabisulphite solution. Chips used were not toasted or
      charred. That is the next phase of testing.
      A 19% ABV sugar wash was run though a 36" column with copper mesh
      packing. It ran off at 95%. The alcohol was diluted to 45% using
      distilled water. Filtering was not necessary but for the sake of
      this experiment it was run though Prestige Stone Carbon (activated
      0.4 – 0.85 mm). The intent is for completely neutral spirit.

      Approximately 2 TBS were used per 1 Quart of 45% spirit. I
      typically use that amount of chips for 1 gallon.
      First week testing: Pictures are available. See Photos, `Woods
      Chips'
      1. Cherry Wood- Light caramel color with a reddish hue. The wood
      flavor is very mild with a slight sweet aftertaste. I do not
      perceive tannin transfer or very slight. This may develop over time.
      2. Maple- Some color transfer. More of a tint, not `water white'.
      Wood flavor almost not existent at this point. Some sweetness was
      present. No tannin perceived to have been transferred. The least
      flavor noted.
      3. Lemon/Orange- (Both woods are intermingled on the wood pile. I
      am not able to tell the difference by appearance.) Color is a yellow
      hue. Slight fruit flavor (not citrus) transferred with a good finish
      that lingers. I think that this has promise as a stand alone
      flavoring but doubt that it will greatly influence other flavors if
      commingled.
      4. Pecan- This is my greatest surprise. Caramel color. Strong
      pecan nut flavor as if sipping sweet pecan juice. Almost comes across
      as an aperitif. Tannin feel on the tongue is noted. I think that
      this has the best promise for blending. And this is just the first
      week.
      5. Live Oak- Caramel color. Strong sweet wood flavor. Typical oak
      tannin perceived.
      6. Hickory- Light caramel color. Very slight nutty flavor. Light
      tannin perceived. This may develop over time.

      Don't hesitate with comments, questions, or suggestions. (like this
      group would hesitate)

      Link
    • Anthony Athawes
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 4, 2006
        Congratulations on your experimentation! That's what it should all be about.

        Your result with Pecan were interesting and surprising. I'm afraid we don't
        get exotic trees like that here in England. You didn't mention Horse
        Chestnut - they are one of our most common trees. Oak isn't too far away and
        that will be my first trial.

        But surely charring any of these woods would have some affect?

        Tony

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Link D'Antoni
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 4, 2006
          Tony,

          Yes, I intend charring and will report on that also.
          I'm grilling today as it is 'Labor Day' in the US. I
          have chips set asside to char when the grill it lit
          today. (Ribeyes lightly seasoned and sweet potato over
          hickory. Tossed salad with balsamic vinegar & extra
          virgin olive oil vinegarette dressing. A chilled
          medium plum wine.)
          The ongoing trials will be reported of 1st week, 2nd
          week, 1st 2nd and 3rd Month, then quartly up to the
          year...
          I have someone whose taste buds are more discerning
          than mine to give evaluation. I will report his
          findings.
          I think that some of this will translate to my wines
          as well. I don't brew beer but I'm sure the fruit and
          nut woods might do for that.

          Link

          --- Anthony Athawes <Anthony.Athawes@...>

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • subsonic40grain
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 4, 2006
            <Anthony.Athawes@...> wrote:
            Your result with Pecan were interesting and surprising. I'm afraid we
            don't
            > get exotic trees like that here in England. You didn't mention Horse
            Chestnut - they are one of our most common trees. Oak isn't too far
            away and that will be my first trial.

            ## Anthony! OMG you need a tree lesson! Aesculus Hippocastanun
            (Horse Chestnut) is good for nothing except conker fights! Stick with
            Oak for Gawds sake! P.S We do have Pecan here although rare - My tree
            bible is by Alan Mitchell, do a search on Amazon and you will find it.
            my one is ISBN 0-00-219213-6 :-)Buy it!!!

            Link - your test is bl@@dy excellent! I like the fact that you use
            neutral (like me) and age at 45%. (I age at 43% give or take). Other
            than that my sugar wash turns out fab with the right wood. Zymurgy is
            kinda making me think about grain mind....

            I am going to try a test on Sweet chestnut (Castanea sativa). My
            reasons for this are as follows. The wood has a large amount of
            tannin and is traditionally used for fencing here as it doesn't rot
            easily due to that.
            It has a fabulous perfume when split (it splits real easy) and of
            course the nuts are edible. It is not burnt much as it spits, but in
            a logburner it is great. I had heard a French saying that barrels used
            to be made of it, but I am unsure if this was true or not. Anyway, I
            will give it a go following your recipe and post the result.

            Oh, and I am going to tip a glass to that Crazy Oz as well. We had
            even heard of him here, he made front page of the broadsheets. Here's
            to you Crazy guy, better to live a day as a tiger than a lifetime as a
            sheep. Or summat like that hic... ;-)Anyway, good on you.
          • subsonic40grain
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 4, 2006
              It was annoying me. It was used for barrels for Balsamic vinegar, I
              knew I saw it somewhere.

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chestnut
            • Robert Hubble
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 4, 2006
                Ah Link,

                Yer a man after me own heart. What are the chances a guy could arrange some
                kind of swap for some pecan wood? And would y' happen to have some o' that
                Drambuie wood, too, while we're at it?

                Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                Get the new Windows Live Messenger!
              • where in the world is kim
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 4, 2006
                  Keep up the good work... and keep us up to date on your experiment.... you just might find a new flavor...

                  Kim

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 5, 2006
                    Zymurgy,

                    I 0NLY have a cord and a half of pecan on the wood
                    pile at the moment... :-).
                    I'd be glad to ship you what you'd like. Do you have
                    means of splitting? I can drag out my 9 tons electric
                    splitter if need be.
                    Give me some info. You might do that in a private
                    mail, right?

                    Link
                    link2d@...

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 5, 2006
                      Kim,
                      I produced toasted and charred chips of each wood but
                      the dog ate my home work. Really. My son brought his
                      dog over and it scattered all my chips throughout the
                      yard.
                      I'll give that another go sometime this week.

                      Stay tuned.

                      Link

                      --- where in the world is kim
                      <whereintheworldiskim@...> wrote:

                      > Keep up the good work... and keep us up to date on
                      > your experiment.... you just might find a new
                      > flavor...
                      >
                      > Kim

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • where in the world is kim
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 5, 2006
                        just make sure that you don't pick up any dog chips... [;-)

                        Kim

                        I produced toasted and charred chips of each wood but
                        the dog ate my home work. Really. My son brought his
                        dog over and it scattered all my chips throughout the
                        yard.
                        I'll give that another go sometime this week.

                        Stay tuned.

                        Link

                        --- where in the world is kim
                        <whereintheworldiskim@...> wrote:

                        > Keep up the good work... and keep us up to date on
                        > your experiment.... you just might find a new
                        > flavor...
                        >
                        > Kim

                      • Mark
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 8, 2006
                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "link2d" <link2d@...> wrote:

                          > Wood Experiment
                          >
                          > <big snip>

                          > Don't hesitate with comments, questions, or suggestions. (like this
                          > group would hesitate)
                          >

                          > Link

                          Thanks for sharing the info. I'm 15 years into this hobby, and I
                          still try different woods and charring and soaking techniques and...
                          and...

                          I tried mesquite once. Horrid. Appalling.

                          For grins, consider adding maple syrup at a rate of 5ml per litre
                          AFTER the wood soak.

                          In the beginners group I have a file posted on how I soak alco on wood.

                          Mark
                        • Link D'Antoni
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 8, 2006
                            Mark,

                            Yeah, i don't even cook with mesquite as the Texas
                            boys do. To me it has a creosote finish/after taste.
                            A friend suggest that I try some cedar that I have on
                            the wood pile. I don't want to waste the pint.
                            When I use the maple wood in smoking it taste like
                            maple syrup is pour over the meat. After the
                            completion of the woods experiment on the neutral
                            spirit I'll try the maple syrup. I wonder how maple
                            will do in my rum? hmmmm?

                            Thanks,

                            Link

                            --- Mark <markgofast@...> wrote:

                            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "link2d"
                            > <link2d@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Wood Experiment
                            > >
                            > > <big snip>
                            >
                            > > Don't hesitate with comments, questions, or
                            > suggestions. (like this
                            > > group would hesitate)
                            > >

                            > > Link
                            > >
                            > Thanks for sharing the info. I'm 15 years into this
                            > hobby, and I
                            > still try different woods and charring and soaking
                            > techniques and...
                            > and...
                            >
                            > I tried mesquite once. Horrid. Appalling.
                            >
                            > For grins, consider adding maple syrup at a rate of
                            > 5ml per litre
                            > AFTER the wood soak.
                            >
                            > In the beginners group I have a file posted on how I
                            > soak alco on wood.
                            >
                            > Mark

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • Larry
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 9, 2006
                              At 09:49 PM 09/08/2006, you wrote:
                              >Yeah, i don't even cook with mesquite as the Texas
                              >boys do. To me it has a creosote finish/after taste.

                              The best South Texas barbecue is actually made with a mix of 60% Mesquite
                              and 40% Oak, for exactly the reason you mention.

                              That's what nearly all the BBQ restaurants south of Waco use.

                              North of Waco, you they don't smoke it long enough, and use only pure Oak
                              or Oak mixed with a little Pecan, or Hickory sawdust.

                              If beef brisket is smoked correctly, a pure mesquite fire will flavor the
                              meat way too strongly, and in fact may put a thick "Smoke Crust" on it that
                              can even cause "Intestinal Distress"... it'll give you The Trots.

                              I couldn't imagine flavoring liquor with it. Like you said, you might just
                              well go out and shave some slivers off the nearest telephone pole, and
                              throw them into your jug to age.