Re: Still for Grappa

  • miciofelice2003
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 3, 2006
      Hi Bob.

      I have to thank you to classify me as an "expert"; the truth is that
      I'm only an amateur, exacty like you.

      I'm only lucky to live in the grappa homeland, so I can find a lot
      of people able to distil it; I'm also lucky to belong to the italian
      forum of grappa, so I can have a lot of informations.

      Ciao a tutti
      da

      micio felice

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Hubble" <zymurgybob@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Niko,
      >
      > In a rough approximation of the apparatus used by our resident
      grappa
      > expert, Micio Felice, I have some parts .....
    • Bob Gibson
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 13, 2006
        Hi Mico, thank you very much for responding to my email, unfortunatly i got burgled two weeks ago, they stole my computer and everything else that wasn't nailed down
        thank God they never found my still! here in nz it is legal to make our own spirits, i have copied yopur recipes for Notcino (spelling) and the limoncino (again) i have been to Italy , and found it to be a fantastic place, i love your culture, your style, your spirt (in more ways than one) to me ! Italy is the epitomy of style! sorry but Germany comes at the bottom, God! just look at there cars!, I'll be back on line as soon as i get my new puter , looking forward to seeing your posts , your new friend Bob

        wrote:

        > Hi Niko,
        >
        > In a rough approximation of the apparatus used by our resident
        grappa
        > expert, Micio Felice, I have some parts .....

      • rjsherrin
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 3, 2008
          I have been a wine maker for years. I primarily use Red Zin grapes. I
          heard someone say to make Grappa from the skins and seeds. This is all
          new to me. Every year we throw the skins over the hill after pressing
          them. Can grappa be made from this and if so, are there any recipes.
        • mstehelin
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 3, 2008
            R,
            There is a wealth of information on the subject. Search the subject
            here and on the net. I know I saw a thread on this forum with a neat
            link to a video of a traditional Grappa still. Micio is the resident
            expert. Basically the "recipe" is to not burn the pomace (skins, and
            yeast) and not to blow up the still by plugging your exit pipe with
            the pomance. Pot stills are what is traditionally used.
            Double boilers, double bottoms, Baine Marie's, steam injection,
            stainless steel meshes, and straw are all methods that have been used
            by different individuals in a effort to prevent scorching and burning
            of the pomace.
            Good luck and enjoy the learning curve.

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rjsherrin" <rjsherrin@...> wrote:

            > I have been a wine maker for years. I primarily use Red Zin grapes. I
            > heard someone say to make Grappa from the skins and seeds. This is all
            > new to me. Every year we throw the skins over the hill after pressing
            > them. Can grappa be made from this and if so, are there any recipes.

          • jamesonbeam1
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 3, 2008

              Hi Rjs,

              Matter of fact, we have our resident expert on making Grappa.  His name is Micio (miciofelice2003)  and resides in Italy.

              The other thing you can do is change the title of this thread to "Ciao Mico - Need Help on Grappa Still"  (like I just did LoL - Im sure he will respond).

              Vino es Veritas,

              Jim aka Waldo.