Re: Parrot's beak

  • headsmashedin
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 2, 2006
      Making one is all well an good if skilled in that area, I am not. I
      had to purchased my still an those in my complex my frown on
      torches, soldering and the like. Thanks just the same for your
      suggestion. I found a place called 'Brokenbranch' that sells them
      for $78.00, I have one on the way.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...>
      wrote:

      > Make it. A bit of 3/4" copper, some 1/2" copper., a bit of 1/4"
      > flexible copper, a flange, some solder and she's ready sing Yo YO
      Ho
      > and a bottle of rum.
      > On the other hand, if there's just a ton of guys out there who
      want
      > them, then, I'll design and build some beauties for an
      astronomically
      > exhorbitant cost.
      > They really are simple. Why do I know this, because I made one.
      It
      > took about 1/2 an hour.
      > At 05:53 PM 8/31/2006, you wrote:
      >
      > >Do you folks know where I can purchase a parrot's beak? Thank you
      > >

      > Derek

    • Larry
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 3, 2006
        At 10:53 PM 09/02/2006, you wrote:
        >had to purchased my still an those in my complex my frown on
        >torches, soldering and the like.

        Then I wonder how they're going to feel about your new Gas Grill with all
        the tubing coming out of it and no burgers coming off the fire...

        Looks like you're gonna be running wash in the kitchen. <grin>
      • Andrew Bugal
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 3, 2006
          Good one man. Like that.

          Bwyze

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 3, 2006
            Would you be kind enoungh to share the web site for
            Brokenbranch?

            thanks,

            Link

            http://mail.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 3, 2006
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Link D'Antoni <link2d@...> wrote:

              > Would you be kind enoungh to share the web site for
              > Brokenbranch?
              >
              > thanks,
              >
              > Link

              It's our old sparring partner, Stilldrinkin.com. The turbostomper
              crew. Remember the pics of potstills & some curvy chick? Same mob
              as were trying to rip Tony's entire site (homedistiller.org) and
              flog it (they stopped that when Tony got pissed at 'em). Same mob
              as threatened to sue Suitcase over freely available and NON-patented
              still design (Suit told 'em to go take a hike after consulting
              here). It's all in the archives.

              I believe their forums are a haven for disgruntled ex-
              yahoo.distillers. ;-)

            • Link D'Antoni
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 3, 2006
                10-4 on that Harry.
                I definately don't want to offend Tony. Most of my
                refinement in regard to this hobby is owed to Tony...
                and the occasional mishap in the wine room. I've
                learn a lot from those mishaps but that's another
                chapter in the book.
                I guess I'll get around to making my own parrots
                beak. Getting one from Hoga is not reasonable usless
                purchasing some other higher ticket item as the cost
                of wire transfer(checque), etc.

                Thanks for the heads up.

                Link

                --- Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

                > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Link D'Antoni
                > <link2d@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Would you be kind enoungh to share the web site
                > for
                > > Brokenbranch?
                > >
                > > thanks,
                > >
                > > Link
                >

                > It's our old sparring partner, Stilldrinkin.com.
                > The turbostomper
                > crew. Remember the pics of potstills & some curvy
                > chick? Same mob
                > as were trying to rip Tony's entire site
                > (homedistiller.org) and
                > flog it (they stopped that when Tony got pissed at
                > 'em). Same mob
                > as threatened to sue Suitcase over freely available
                > and NON-patented
                > still design (Suit told 'em to go take a hike after
                > consulting
                > here). It's all in the archives.
                >
                > I believe their forums are a haven for disgruntled
                > ex-
                > yahoo.distillers. ;-)
                >

                > Slainte!
                > regards Harry

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Pete H
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 6, 2010
                  Just viewed a few of the pics of parrot's beaks created by members of this forum. Wonderous, mysterious works of art some of them.

                  Started me thinking they might be a good idea. Even started drawing mods that I thought might suit my methods. Mods like running condenser output through a coil captured inside a water jacket (which cools the condenser) to ensure product temp is going to give correct readings.

                  Also thought about the problem of getting the drip rate right if you don't see the output until the parrot's beak is overflowing as with some designs which are direct connected to the condenser output.

                  Then thinking it through further, given the radical temp escalation I have noticed once the purest ethanol (78C - 82C) has left the column at around 95%, do I really care about losing maybe 100 - 200ml of hard to win, and probably not cost effective tails that may still be left in the boiler?

                  I'm talking about the tail end of the tails, not the tail run itself which generally yields around .5 ltr of re-boilable output.

                  By the tails of the tails stage, smell and taste of the product has me deciding its time to switch of the power.

                  Any thoughts?