Re: [Distillers] Bi carb tsp or tbsp ?

  • Robert Thomas
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2006
      I personally use about a tBsp of bicarb per litre of ethanol (not lets
      say 30% diluted stuff). Then dilute to a safe level for distillation.
      As to safety with copper: alkalies with dissolve copper compounds
      (including oxides) to some extent. Copper itself is usually fairly safe
      providing you don't supply oxygen to the mix.
      Just make sure you wash the boiler very well right after distilling.
      cheers
      Rob.

      --- jfpottery <jfpottery@...> wrote:

      > I've read that some use a teaspoon of bicard per liter and some use a
      >
      > tabelspoon. I read that when heated the solution can become caustic
      > and might attack copper in the still. My heating element is copper
      > and
      > I would like to add enough but not too much to preserve my element
      > if,
      > indeed, it is a problem.
      >
      > Thanks, jfp

      Cheers,