Bi carb tsp or tbsp ?

  • jfpottery
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2006
      I've read that some use a teaspoon of bicard per liter and some use a
      tabelspoon. I read that when heated the solution can become caustic
      and might attack copper in the still. My heating element is copper and
      I would like to add enough but not too much to preserve my element if,
      indeed, it is a problem.

      Thanks, jfp
    • Robert Thomas
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2006
        I personally use about a tBsp of bicarb per litre of ethanol (not lets
        say 30% diluted stuff). Then dilute to a safe level for distillation.
        As to safety with copper: alkalies with dissolve copper compounds
        (including oxides) to some extent. Copper itself is usually fairly safe
        providing you don't supply oxygen to the mix.
        Just make sure you wash the boiler very well right after distilling.
        cheers
        Rob.

        --- jfpottery <jfpottery@...> wrote:

        > I've read that some use a teaspoon of bicard per liter and some use a
        >
        > tabelspoon. I read that when heated the solution can become caustic
        > and might attack copper in the still. My heating element is copper
        > and
        > I would like to add enough but not too much to preserve my element
        > if,
        > indeed, it is a problem.
        >
        > Thanks, jfp

        Cheers,