RE: [Distillers] Still for Grappa

  • Andrew Bugal
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2006
      You are a maniac.

      Best regards,

      Bwyze

      Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...> wrote:
      Hi Niko,

      In a rough approximation of the apparatus used by our resident grappa
      expert, Micio Felice, I have some parts that I insert into my 20-liter
      potstill to allow me to distill grape pomace without scorching. The still
      uses a (~)750mm high 50mm unpacked copper column with a simple copper Leibig
      condenser. Into the pot I place a 5 liter perforated colander, which is held
      up off the bottom of the boiler by by another kitchen utensil, a spacer to
      allow steaming vegetables in a pressure cooker. The pomace is placed in the
      colander, and I put some of the wine from the pomace in the boiler under the
      colander, and fire up the still. Quality was excellent, although I
      understand that some subtlety in the way I prepared the pomace kept me from
      getting decisive grappa flavor.

      It's still great in coffee.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      >From: "Just Ask !" <nikogrimanis@...>
      >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [Distillers] Still for Grappa
      >Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 08:56:08 -0000
      >
      >Hi Everybody,
      >
      >So nice to see a group like that!
      >I am lucky enough to have a friend who is making his own wine from his
      >own grapes. After the pressing he is giving me the leftovers. I
      >decided to learn how to make Brandy/Grappa, so I am reading all about
      >it. I am getting confused though as to what kind of still is best for
      >this type of alcohol. My goal is to make the best quality Grappa, not
      >necessarily the strongest alcoholic beverage.
      >
      >Could any one of you give me some advise.
      >
      >Thank you very much.
      >
      >Take care and Geia mas!
      >Niko

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      Search from any web page with powerful protection. Get the FREE Windows Live
      Toolbar Today! http://get.live.com/toolbar/overview

    • miciofelice2003
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 2, 2006
        Hi Niko.

        It is not possible to separate the boiler from the column, in
        distillation of grape pomace.

        I mean: the boiler is made for "that" column and the column is made
        for "that" boiler.

        When you distil to get grappa ( and for "grappa" I mean the typical
        spirit you get from the distillation of grape pomaces) you have to
        face two problems a little bit in opposition: to get a clean spirit
        but that spirit must have flavours and aromas.

        To get clean spirit you have to separate carefully the hearth from
        the tails, but in this way you loose a lot of aromas and flavours.

        To get an aromatic grappa, that can satisfy your expectations, you
        have to be able to accept some parts of tails: to decide on the
        quantity and quality of those ones is the "secret" of the
        responsible of the distillation.

        There are two solutions to distil grape pomaces: to put those ones,
        soaked with its fermented wine, into the boiler being careful to put
        on the bottom of the boiler a drilled sheet metal, or to put grape
        pomaces into a basket made by a net having holes very small (to
        avoid the seeds to go beyond).

        Personally, and I'm not the only one but a lot of distilleries do
        like so, I prefer the second solution that offer the advantage to
        avoid any contact with hot parts of the boiler. Such in this way
        it's no possible to get the formation of furphurol (is it written in
        right way? I mean the "furfurolo").

        The basket must be quite distant from the boiler bottom: in those
        space some water will be placed to make steam to strip all the good
        aromas and alcohol from grape pomace, that aren't soaked by water
        but lie on the net.

        You have to calculate the distance because it's no good to add water
        during the distillation, so the volume of water must be enough to
        reach the end of the distillation.

        Some people "mix" the two solutions allowing the water to penetrate
        into the basket, or use a mix of wine and water, or do ... what they
        want.

        Distilleries use bagnomaria or inject steam into the boiler by using
        some nozzles.

        I hope that the informations I gave will be useful.

        Ciao a tutti
        da

        micio felice

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Just Ask !" <nikogrimanis@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Everybody,
        >
        > So nice to see a group like that!
        > I am lucky enough to have a friend who is making his own wine from
        his
        > own grapes. After the pressing he is giving me the leftovers. I
        > decided to learn how to make Brandy/Grappa, so I am reading all
        about
        > it. I am getting confused though as to what kind of still is best
        for
        > this type of alcohol. My goal is to make the best quality Grappa,
        not
        > necessarily the strongest alcoholic beverage.
        >
        > Could any one of you give me some advise.
        >
        > Thank you very much.
        >
        > Take care and Geia mas!
        > Niko

      • miciofelice2003
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 3, 2006
          Hi Bob.

          I have to thank you to classify me as an "expert"; the truth is that
          I'm only an amateur, exacty like you.

          I'm only lucky to live in the grappa homeland, so I can find a lot
          of people able to distil it; I'm also lucky to belong to the italian
          forum of grappa, so I can have a lot of informations.

          Ciao a tutti
          da

          micio felice

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Hubble" <zymurgybob@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Niko,
          >
          > In a rough approximation of the apparatus used by our resident
          grappa
          > expert, Micio Felice, I have some parts .....
        • Bob Gibson
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 13, 2006
            Hi Mico, thank you very much for responding to my email, unfortunatly i got burgled two weeks ago, they stole my computer and everything else that wasn't nailed down
            thank God they never found my still! here in nz it is legal to make our own spirits, i have copied yopur recipes for Notcino (spelling) and the limoncino (again) i have been to Italy , and found it to be a fantastic place, i love your culture, your style, your spirt (in more ways than one) to me ! Italy is the epitomy of style! sorry but Germany comes at the bottom, God! just look at there cars!, I'll be back on line as soon as i get my new puter , looking forward to seeing your posts , your new friend Bob

            wrote:

            > Hi Niko,
            >
            > In a rough approximation of the apparatus used by our resident
            grappa
            > expert, Micio Felice, I have some parts .....

          • rjsherrin
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 3, 2008
              I have been a wine maker for years. I primarily use Red Zin grapes. I
              heard someone say to make Grappa from the skins and seeds. This is all
              new to me. Every year we throw the skins over the hill after pressing
              them. Can grappa be made from this and if so, are there any recipes.
            • mstehelin
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 3, 2008
                R,
                There is a wealth of information on the subject. Search the subject
                here and on the net. I know I saw a thread on this forum with a neat
                link to a video of a traditional Grappa still. Micio is the resident
                expert. Basically the "recipe" is to not burn the pomace (skins, and
                yeast) and not to blow up the still by plugging your exit pipe with
                the pomance. Pot stills are what is traditionally used.
                Double boilers, double bottoms, Baine Marie's, steam injection,
                stainless steel meshes, and straw are all methods that have been used
                by different individuals in a effort to prevent scorching and burning
                of the pomace.
                Good luck and enjoy the learning curve.

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rjsherrin" <rjsherrin@...> wrote:

                > I have been a wine maker for years. I primarily use Red Zin grapes. I
                > heard someone say to make Grappa from the skins and seeds. This is all
                > new to me. Every year we throw the skins over the hill after pressing
                > them. Can grappa be made from this and if so, are there any recipes.

              • jamesonbeam1
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 3, 2008

                  Hi Rjs,

                  Matter of fact, we have our resident expert on making Grappa.  His name is Micio (miciofelice2003)  and resides in Italy.

                  The other thing you can do is change the title of this thread to "Ciao Mico - Need Help on Grappa Still"  (like I just did LoL - Im sure he will respond).

                  Vino es Veritas,

                  Jim aka Waldo.