Still for Grappa

  • Just Ask !
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2006
      Hi Everybody,

      So nice to see a group like that!
      I am lucky enough to have a friend who is making his own wine from his
      own grapes. After the pressing he is giving me the leftovers. I
      decided to learn how to make Brandy/Grappa, so I am reading all about
      it. I am getting confused though as to what kind of still is best for
      this type of alcohol. My goal is to make the best quality Grappa, not
      necessarily the strongest alcoholic beverage.

      Could any one of you give me some advise.

      Thank you very much.

      Take care and Geia mas!
      Niko
    • Robert Hubble
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2006
        Hi Niko,

        In a rough approximation of the apparatus used by our resident grappa
        expert, Micio Felice, I have some parts that I insert into my 20-liter
        potstill to allow me to distill grape pomace without scorching. The still
        uses a (~)750mm high 50mm unpacked copper column with a simple copper Leibig
        condenser. Into the pot I place a 5 liter perforated colander, which is held
        up off the bottom of the boiler by by another kitchen utensil, a spacer to
        allow steaming vegetables in a pressure cooker. The pomace is placed in the
        colander, and I put some of the wine from the pomace in the boiler under the
        colander, and fire up the still. Quality was excellent, although I
        understand that some subtlety in the way I prepared the pomace kept me from
        getting decisive grappa flavor.

        It's still great in coffee.

        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        >From: "Just Ask !" <nikogrimanis@...>
        >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [Distillers] Still for Grappa
        >Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 08:56:08 -0000
        >
        >Hi Everybody,
        >
        >So nice to see a group like that!
        >I am lucky enough to have a friend who is making his own wine from his
        >own grapes. After the pressing he is giving me the leftovers. I
        >decided to learn how to make Brandy/Grappa, so I am reading all about
        >it. I am getting confused though as to what kind of still is best for
        >this type of alcohol. My goal is to make the best quality Grappa, not
        >necessarily the strongest alcoholic beverage.
        >
        >Could any one of you give me some advise.
        >
        >Thank you very much.
        >
        >Take care and Geia mas!
        >Niko

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        Search from any web page with powerful protection. Get the FREE Windows Live
        Toolbar Today! http://get.live.com/toolbar/overview
      • Andrew Bugal
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 2006
          You are a maniac.

          Best regards,

          Bwyze

          Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...> wrote:
          Hi Niko,

          In a rough approximation of the apparatus used by our resident grappa
          expert, Micio Felice, I have some parts that I insert into my 20-liter
          potstill to allow me to distill grape pomace without scorching. The still
          uses a (~)750mm high 50mm unpacked copper column with a simple copper Leibig
          condenser. Into the pot I place a 5 liter perforated colander, which is held
          up off the bottom of the boiler by by another kitchen utensil, a spacer to
          allow steaming vegetables in a pressure cooker. The pomace is placed in the
          colander, and I put some of the wine from the pomace in the boiler under the
          colander, and fire up the still. Quality was excellent, although I
          understand that some subtlety in the way I prepared the pomace kept me from
          getting decisive grappa flavor.

          It's still great in coffee.

          Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

          >From: "Just Ask !" <nikogrimanis@...>
          >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [Distillers] Still for Grappa
          >Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 08:56:08 -0000
          >
          >Hi Everybody,
          >
          >So nice to see a group like that!
          >I am lucky enough to have a friend who is making his own wine from his
          >own grapes. After the pressing he is giving me the leftovers. I
          >decided to learn how to make Brandy/Grappa, so I am reading all about
          >it. I am getting confused though as to what kind of still is best for
          >this type of alcohol. My goal is to make the best quality Grappa, not
          >necessarily the strongest alcoholic beverage.
          >
          >Could any one of you give me some advise.
          >
          >Thank you very much.
          >
          >Take care and Geia mas!
          >Niko

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

          Search from any web page with powerful protection. Get the FREE Windows Live
          Toolbar Today! http://get.live.com/toolbar/overview

        • miciofelice2003
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 2, 2006
            Hi Niko.

            It is not possible to separate the boiler from the column, in
            distillation of grape pomace.

            I mean: the boiler is made for "that" column and the column is made
            for "that" boiler.

            When you distil to get grappa ( and for "grappa" I mean the typical
            spirit you get from the distillation of grape pomaces) you have to
            face two problems a little bit in opposition: to get a clean spirit
            but that spirit must have flavours and aromas.

            To get clean spirit you have to separate carefully the hearth from
            the tails, but in this way you loose a lot of aromas and flavours.

            To get an aromatic grappa, that can satisfy your expectations, you
            have to be able to accept some parts of tails: to decide on the
            quantity and quality of those ones is the "secret" of the
            responsible of the distillation.

            There are two solutions to distil grape pomaces: to put those ones,
            soaked with its fermented wine, into the boiler being careful to put
            on the bottom of the boiler a drilled sheet metal, or to put grape
            pomaces into a basket made by a net having holes very small (to
            avoid the seeds to go beyond).

            Personally, and I'm not the only one but a lot of distilleries do
            like so, I prefer the second solution that offer the advantage to
            avoid any contact with hot parts of the boiler. Such in this way
            it's no possible to get the formation of furphurol (is it written in
            right way? I mean the "furfurolo").

            The basket must be quite distant from the boiler bottom: in those
            space some water will be placed to make steam to strip all the good
            aromas and alcohol from grape pomace, that aren't soaked by water
            but lie on the net.

            You have to calculate the distance because it's no good to add water
            during the distillation, so the volume of water must be enough to
            reach the end of the distillation.

            Some people "mix" the two solutions allowing the water to penetrate
            into the basket, or use a mix of wine and water, or do ... what they
            want.

            Distilleries use bagnomaria or inject steam into the boiler by using
            some nozzles.

            I hope that the informations I gave will be useful.

            Ciao a tutti
            da

            micio felice

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Just Ask !" <nikogrimanis@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi Everybody,
            >
            > So nice to see a group like that!
            > I am lucky enough to have a friend who is making his own wine from
            his
            > own grapes. After the pressing he is giving me the leftovers. I
            > decided to learn how to make Brandy/Grappa, so I am reading all
            about
            > it. I am getting confused though as to what kind of still is best
            for
            > this type of alcohol. My goal is to make the best quality Grappa,
            not
            > necessarily the strongest alcoholic beverage.
            >
            > Could any one of you give me some advise.
            >
            > Thank you very much.
            >
            > Take care and Geia mas!
            > Niko

          • miciofelice2003
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 3, 2006
              Hi Bob.

              I have to thank you to classify me as an "expert"; the truth is that
              I'm only an amateur, exacty like you.

              I'm only lucky to live in the grappa homeland, so I can find a lot
              of people able to distil it; I'm also lucky to belong to the italian
              forum of grappa, so I can have a lot of informations.

              Ciao a tutti
              da

              micio felice

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Hubble" <zymurgybob@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi Niko,
              >
              > In a rough approximation of the apparatus used by our resident
              grappa
              > expert, Micio Felice, I have some parts .....
            • Bob Gibson
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 13, 2006
                Hi Mico, thank you very much for responding to my email, unfortunatly i got burgled two weeks ago, they stole my computer and everything else that wasn't nailed down
                thank God they never found my still! here in nz it is legal to make our own spirits, i have copied yopur recipes for Notcino (spelling) and the limoncino (again) i have been to Italy , and found it to be a fantastic place, i love your culture, your style, your spirt (in more ways than one) to me ! Italy is the epitomy of style! sorry but Germany comes at the bottom, God! just look at there cars!, I'll be back on line as soon as i get my new puter , looking forward to seeing your posts , your new friend Bob

                wrote:

                > Hi Niko,
                >
                > In a rough approximation of the apparatus used by our resident
                grappa
                > expert, Micio Felice, I have some parts .....

              • rjsherrin
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 3, 2008
                  I have been a wine maker for years. I primarily use Red Zin grapes. I
                  heard someone say to make Grappa from the skins and seeds. This is all
                  new to me. Every year we throw the skins over the hill after pressing
                  them. Can grappa be made from this and if so, are there any recipes.
                • mstehelin
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 3, 2008
                    R,
                    There is a wealth of information on the subject. Search the subject
                    here and on the net. I know I saw a thread on this forum with a neat
                    link to a video of a traditional Grappa still. Micio is the resident
                    expert. Basically the "recipe" is to not burn the pomace (skins, and
                    yeast) and not to blow up the still by plugging your exit pipe with
                    the pomance. Pot stills are what is traditionally used.
                    Double boilers, double bottoms, Baine Marie's, steam injection,
                    stainless steel meshes, and straw are all methods that have been used
                    by different individuals in a effort to prevent scorching and burning
                    of the pomace.
                    Good luck and enjoy the learning curve.

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rjsherrin" <rjsherrin@...> wrote:

                    > I have been a wine maker for years. I primarily use Red Zin grapes. I
                    > heard someone say to make Grappa from the skins and seeds. This is all
                    > new to me. Every year we throw the skins over the hill after pressing
                    > them. Can grappa be made from this and if so, are there any recipes.

                  • jamesonbeam1
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 3, 2008

                      Hi Rjs,

                      Matter of fact, we have our resident expert on making Grappa.  His name is Micio (miciofelice2003)  and resides in Italy.

                      The other thing you can do is change the title of this thread to "Ciao Mico - Need Help on Grappa Still"  (like I just did LoL - Im sure he will respond).

                      Vino es Veritas,

                      Jim aka Waldo.