Re: [Distillers] Re: Raw Spirit - was Glengoyne tour

  • Link D'Antoni
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2006
      Todd,

      Agreed. I know that 18% wash goes against
      traditional. I was first told to use beer yeast and
      ferment to 5%ish to have max flavor. I didn't like
      the result.
      I am getting commercial grade 84 Brix molasses. My
      next try was for 14% wash using Red Star wine yeast.
      I found that the molasses only fermented down to about
      7%. I then added sugars in to bring the wash up to
      14%... well, it fermented up to 17.5% and 18%. My
      guess is that is the limit of wine yeast that was
      used. The result was/is quite nice. Store shelf
      molasses is added back (1 TBS / gallon) for additional
      flavor.
      There again I'll be trying the Schnapps yeast to see
      what comes of it.

      Link

      http://mail.yahoo.com