Re: Raw Spirit - was Glengoyne tour

  • toddk63
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1 1:07 AM
      Thanks for the info. So I'll plan a similar wash as last time, 2:1
      sugar/molasses, 10%abv. Strip one one night, then spirit run another.

      I tried molasses in the final spirit to finish, but didn't like it. I
      prefer carmelized sugar. I've also done lots of wood experiments.
      Med. toast oak by itself can be bit astringent. Jack Daniels chips
      are devine. A mixture of the two is perfection.

      Your pot stilling of a 18% abv wash goes against traditional advice,
      but you seem to like the results, no?

      Todd K.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Link D'Antoni <link2d@...> wrote:

      > Todd,
      >
      > I run Rum (molasses) pot still.
      > I have have a supply of 84 Brix molasses which is run
      > in the 24" column (non reflux). I have previously
      > used Red Star wine yeast. I cut the molasses to 14%
      > alc (one gallon molasses : 4 gallons water). It
      > usually ferments to approx 7ish% then add white sugar
      > bring the Potential upward to 17.5 -18%. This allows
      > all to ferment out. The first few times I made my
      > cuts to late. I was greedy and had to re-run more the
      > last third. But practice and patience makes perfect
      > and experience is the best teacher and other sayings.
      >
      > I like dark rums so I add one tablespoon per gallon
      > store bought molasses for aging on charred oak. I get
      > the color and taste desired.
      > I'm playing/experimenting with various woods for
      > aging that I will try with some of the next yeild.
      > I'll give 1st results (1st week) of the wood
      > experimenting this Sunday.
      > I'm setting setting up a 75 gallon wash next week.
      > I'll be trying Prestige Schnapps Yeast with that
      > molasses.
      >
      > Link

    • Link D'Antoni
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1 6:58 AM
        Todd,

        Agreed. I know that 18% wash goes against
        traditional. I was first told to use beer yeast and
        ferment to 5%ish to have max flavor. I didn't like
        the result.
        I am getting commercial grade 84 Brix molasses. My
        next try was for 14% wash using Red Star wine yeast.
        I found that the molasses only fermented down to about
        7%. I then added sugars in to bring the wash up to
        14%... well, it fermented up to 17.5% and 18%. My
        guess is that is the limit of wine yeast that was
        used. The result was/is quite nice. Store shelf
        molasses is added back (1 TBS / gallon) for additional
        flavor.
        There again I'll be trying the Schnapps yeast to see
        what comes of it.

        Link

        http://mail.yahoo.com