Re: testing the abv% of the distilate
- Hi Bayproducer
I just posted a couple of photos in new_distillers site under mini
still. Sorry camera not straight. Link below.
With the cooling water entering at bottom of output tube of shotgun
condenser and then going through cooling coil the output is below 20c
and can be read from hydrometer with no adjustment.
> g'day i was just wondering if there was a simple way to test the Abv%
> of the distilate continously coming out of a pot still? or should i
> just test every 100mls or somthing like that in a test tube with my
> the temp of the distilat will effect the reading wat is a easy way to
> bring up to 20 degrees C or cool it off so i get accurate readings?
- i was wondering if there would be any pressure build up in someof the
parrots beaks because they hav the distilate comming up from teh
are there any realli easy designs to make?
thanks for prompt replies
- --- bayproducer <bayproducer@...> wrote:
> i was wondering if there would be any pressure build up in someof theThere's no pressure buildup...it is completely open. As for any discrepancies
> parrots beaks because they hav the distilate comming up from teh
> are there any realli easy designs to make?
> thanks mates!
> thanks for prompt replies
due to the distillate flowing upward, the more gap you allow for around the
hydrometer, the flow will affect less. However, considering that the expectant
flow is measured in drop/trickle, there's generally not enough flow to cause
the reading to be off.
The design isn't that complicated. I used a 3/4" pipe the length of my
hydrometer, capped the bottom and put a 1"-3/4" reducer on the top. I drilled
a 1/4" hole in the bottom and soldered some 1/4" OD soft tubing into that hole.
I gently bent the tubing upward so that it was parallel with the main tube and
didn't kink. I put a 1/2" to 1/8" reducer on the end of the tubing (1/8" is
the size that has an OD of 1/4") and then a 1"-1/2" reducer on the smaller
reducer to make a funnel. On the 1" portion of the main tube, I drilled
another 1/4" hole, repeated the soft tubing thing, only this time downward, and
cut it off about even with the bottom of the main tube. I reinforced the inlet
tube with some 12g copper wire. It looks pretty, but I don't yet have any kind
of holder/bracket for it, so it fits on a 1L wine carafe. Yep...I have to dump
it every liter :)
Hope that made a *little* sense :)