Re: testing the abv% of the distilate

  • stevolate
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 30, 2006
      Hi Bayproducer
      I just posted a couple of photos in new_distillers site under mini
      still. Sorry camera not straight. Link below.
      http://tinyurl.com/qjnuf
      With the cooling water entering at bottom of output tube of shotgun
      condenser and then going through cooling coil the output is below 20c
      and can be read from hydrometer with no adjustment.

      Happy drinking

      Stevo

      > g'day i was just wondering if there was a simple way to test the Abv%
      > of the distilate continously coming out of a pot still? or should i
      > just test every 100mls or somthing like that in a test tube with my
      > alcometer.
      > the temp of the distilat will effect the reading wat is a easy way to
      > bring up to 20 degrees C or cool it off so i get accurate readings?
      >

      > thanks
      > bayproducer

    • bayproducer
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 31, 2006
        i was wondering if there would be any pressure build up in someof the
        parrots beaks because they hav the distilate comming up from teh
        bottom?
        are there any realli easy designs to make?
        thanks mates!
        thanks for prompt replies
      • Trid
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 31, 2006
          --- bayproducer <bayproducer@...> wrote:

          > i was wondering if there would be any pressure build up in someof the
          > parrots beaks because they hav the distilate comming up from teh
          > bottom?
          > are there any realli easy designs to make?
          > thanks mates!
          > thanks for prompt replies

          There's no pressure buildup...it is completely open. As for any discrepancies
          due to the distillate flowing upward, the more gap you allow for around the
          hydrometer, the flow will affect less. However, considering that the expectant
          flow is measured in drop/trickle, there's generally not enough flow to cause
          the reading to be off.

          The design isn't that complicated. I used a 3/4" pipe the length of my
          hydrometer, capped the bottom and put a 1"-3/4" reducer on the top. I drilled
          a 1/4" hole in the bottom and soldered some 1/4" OD soft tubing into that hole.
          I gently bent the tubing upward so that it was parallel with the main tube and
          didn't kink. I put a 1/2" to 1/8" reducer on the end of the tubing (1/8" is
          the size that has an OD of 1/4") and then a 1"-1/2" reducer on the smaller
          reducer to make a funnel. On the 1" portion of the main tube, I drilled
          another 1/4" hole, repeated the soft tubing thing, only this time downward, and
          cut it off about even with the bottom of the main tube. I reinforced the inlet
          tube with some 12g copper wire. It looks pretty, but I don't yet have any kind
          of holder/bracket for it, so it fits on a 1L wine carafe. Yep...I have to dump
          it every liter :)

          Hope that made a *little* sense :)
          Trid