Re: [Distillers] testing the abv% of the distilate

  • Link D'Antoni
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 30, 2006
      And try...

      http://www.hogacompany.com/distillers.htm
      See accessories -
      'parrot's spout for copper condenser'

      Both of my copper alembics are from Hoga. Armindo
      does great... no... does awesome work.

      Link

      --- Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:

      > This site http://www.wineryequipment.com/ has a link
      > to nice
      > photos. Click on news. There is a page of photos
      > of one of their
      > alembic stills. Near the bottom of the page is a
      > parrot's beak. It
      > is a beauty. Mine is not so elegant, but, does
      > exactly the same thing.
      > Basically it continuously monitors the alcohol %
      > while distilling.
      >
      > At 04:29 AM 8/30/2006, you wrote:
      >
      > >g'day i was just wondering if there was a simple
      > way to test the Abv%
      > >of the distilate continously coming out of a pot
      > still?
      >
      > Derek

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • stevolate
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 30, 2006
        Hi Bayproducer
        I just posted a couple of photos in new_distillers site under mini
        still. Sorry camera not straight. Link below.
        http://tinyurl.com/qjnuf
        With the cooling water entering at bottom of output tube of shotgun
        condenser and then going through cooling coil the output is below 20c
        and can be read from hydrometer with no adjustment.

        Happy drinking

        Stevo

        > g'day i was just wondering if there was a simple way to test the Abv%
        > of the distilate continously coming out of a pot still? or should i
        > just test every 100mls or somthing like that in a test tube with my
        > alcometer.
        > the temp of the distilat will effect the reading wat is a easy way to
        > bring up to 20 degrees C or cool it off so i get accurate readings?
        >

        > thanks
        > bayproducer

      • bayproducer
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 31, 2006
          i was wondering if there would be any pressure build up in someof the
          parrots beaks because they hav the distilate comming up from teh
          bottom?
          are there any realli easy designs to make?
          thanks mates!
          thanks for prompt replies
        • Trid
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 31, 2006
            --- bayproducer <bayproducer@...> wrote:

            > i was wondering if there would be any pressure build up in someof the
            > parrots beaks because they hav the distilate comming up from teh
            > bottom?
            > are there any realli easy designs to make?
            > thanks mates!
            > thanks for prompt replies

            There's no pressure buildup...it is completely open. As for any discrepancies
            due to the distillate flowing upward, the more gap you allow for around the
            hydrometer, the flow will affect less. However, considering that the expectant
            flow is measured in drop/trickle, there's generally not enough flow to cause
            the reading to be off.

            The design isn't that complicated. I used a 3/4" pipe the length of my
            hydrometer, capped the bottom and put a 1"-3/4" reducer on the top. I drilled
            a 1/4" hole in the bottom and soldered some 1/4" OD soft tubing into that hole.
            I gently bent the tubing upward so that it was parallel with the main tube and
            didn't kink. I put a 1/2" to 1/8" reducer on the end of the tubing (1/8" is
            the size that has an OD of 1/4") and then a 1"-1/2" reducer on the smaller
            reducer to make a funnel. On the 1" portion of the main tube, I drilled
            another 1/4" hole, repeated the soft tubing thing, only this time downward, and
            cut it off about even with the bottom of the main tube. I reinforced the inlet
            tube with some 12g copper wire. It looks pretty, but I don't yet have any kind
            of holder/bracket for it, so it fits on a 1L wine carafe. Yep...I have to dump
            it every liter :)

            Hope that made a *little* sense :)
            Trid