My Glengoyne Distillery Tour and a Question

  • toddk63
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 30, 2006
      I was in the Trossachs of Scotland last weekend and had the chance to
      to visit the Glengoyne distillery. The primary purpose of my trip was
      the "Quest for the Holy Grail"...that is.. the film location sites of
      "Monty Python and the Holy Grail". I digress.

      I was impressed with their facility and the pride and tradition they
      still have in their process and product to this day. Their whiskey
      (Highland) was pretty good too, though I prefer Islay. Having been on
      many brewery tours, I didn't bother to snap any photos until I saw the
      stills. One large stripper and two smaller spirit stills. Just as I
      snapped the photo, the tour guide said "Sir, no photos please" I said
      sorry and put my camera away (with my photo of the stills still on
      it...tee hee)

      Now on to my process question:

      This is the second tour I've taken of scotch distilleries, and both
      times they did not offer a sample or even a wiff of the spirit as it
      comes straight out of the still. This would help me immensely in my
      own process, as I am uncertain just how foul a raw spirit is supposed
      to be. I am generally a fractionater, and separate my rum in many
      small jars to be blended back later. Typically my blends, with about
      half of the heads and a tiny fraction of tails is pretty good right
      away and at its peak in 3-6 months. In my only attempt to "detune" my
      still with far less scrubbers, the final middle cut came off at about
      88% (as opposed to my usual 94%) and was extremely foul and totally
      undrinkable.

      Is this about right for you pot stillers? Can you make something in a
      couple of passes that is good right away or does it require years of
      aging before it is palatable?

      Like I said before , this is rum, from 3:1 sugar to molasses. 11% wash
      fermented with EC-1118.

      Thanks,

      Todd K.
    • Robert Hubble
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 30, 2006
        Todd,

        Answers inline.

        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        >From: "toddk63" <toddk63@...>
        >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [Distillers] My Glengoyne Distillery Tour and a Question
        >Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 14:27:17 -0000
        >
        >I was in the Trossachs of Scotland last weekend and had the chance to
        >to visit the Glengoyne distillery. The primary purpose of my trip was
        >the "Quest for the Holy Grail"...that is.. the film location sites of
        >"Monty Python and the Holy Grail". I digress.
        >
        >I was impressed with their facility and the pride and tradition they
        >still have in their process and product to this day. Their whiskey
        >(Highland) was pretty good too, though I prefer Islay. Having been on
        >many brewery tours, I didn't bother to snap any photos until I saw the
        >stills. One large stripper and two smaller spirit stills. Just as I
        >snapped the photo, the tour guide said "Sir, no photos please" I said
        >sorry and put my camera away (with my photo of the stills still on
        >it...tee hee)
        >
        >Now on to my process question:
        >
        >This is the second tour I've taken of scotch distilleries, and both
        >times they did not offer a sample or even a wiff of the spirit as it
        >comes straight out of the still. This would help me immensely in my
        >own process, as I am uncertain just how foul a raw spirit is supposed
        >to be. I am generally a fractionater, and separate my rum in many
        >small jars to be blended back later. Typically my blends, with about
        >half of the heads and a tiny fraction of tails is pretty good right
        >away and at its peak in 3-6 months. In my only attempt to "detune" my
        >still with far less scrubbers, the final middle cut came off at about
        >88% (as opposed to my usual 94%) and was extremely foul and totally
        >undrinkable.

        I'm running an unpacked 50mmx750mm column, and my spirit run is ALWAYS the
        second run (beer-stripping first). On a spirit run, abv output starts in the
        high 80%, and usually I make the cut from somewhere around 75% to somewhere
        above 50%. Thes scotch I'm so happy with was from 75% to 55%.

        In virtually every case, if my cut is not clumsily done, the product is
        extremely smooth and very drinkable immediately. Time, oak, and oxygen
        improve the product, but they are not necessary to make it drinkable.

        >Is this about right for you pot stillers? Can you make something in a
        >couple of passes that is good right away or does it require years of

        Your numbers are alien to my experience, and 4 months on oak have given me
        stuff I'd put up against (many or most of) the big kids.

        Does this sound familiar to any of you other potstillers out there?

        >aging before it is palatable?
        >
        >Like I said before , this is rum, from 3:1 sugar to molasses. 11% wash
        >fermented with EC-1118.
        >
        >Thanks,
        >
        >Todd K.

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        Windows Live Spaces is here! It�s easy to create your own personal Web site.
        http://spaces.live.com/signup.aspx
      • Trid
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 30, 2006
          --- Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

          > I'm running an unpacked 50mmx750mm column, and my spirit run is ALWAYS the
          > second run (beer-stripping first). On a spirit run, abv output starts in the
          > high 80%, and usually I make the cut from somewhere around 75% to somewhere
          > above 50%. Thes scotch I'm so happy with was from 75% to 55%.

          I need to set up a less clumsy way of utilizing my parrot's beak because I've
          abandonded it presently and make my cuts every 2C and then taste blend the
          cuts.

          > In virtually every case, if my cut is not clumsily done, the product is
          > extremely smooth and very drinkable immediately. Time, oak, and oxygen
          > improve the product, but they are not necessary to make it drinkable.

          I think I might be making my cuts a little heavy handed towards the heads end
          in that it seems to be a fairly light spirit, though (imho) drinkable.

          > ... and 4 months on oak have given me
          > stuff I'd put up against (many or most of) the big kids.

          I'm getting a nice color with my pure corn spirit, but after 4 months its still
          tastes a little light. Is there any input regarding the amount of oak
          (more/less, too much/not enough)? Can too much difinitively ruin a batch?

          Trid
          -pot stillin' away
        • Robert Hubble
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 30, 2006
            Hey, Trid,

            My comments are inline.

            Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

            >From: Trid <triddlywinks@...>
            >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: RE: [Distillers] My Glengoyne Distillery Tour and a Question
            >Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 21:29:47 -0700 (PDT)
            >
            >--- Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...> wrote:
            >
            > > I'm running an unpacked 50mmx750mm column, and my spirit run is ALWAYS
            >the
            > > second run (beer-stripping first). On a spirit run, abv output starts in
            >the
            > > high 80%, and usually I make the cut from somewhere around 75% to
            >somewhere
            > > above 50%. Thes scotch I'm so happy with was from 75% to 55%.
            >
            >I need to set up a less clumsy way of utilizing my parrot's beak because
            >I've
            >abandonded it presently and make my cuts every 2C and then taste blend the
            >cuts.

            It couldn't be *too* much clumsier than mine. Mine is held by a kind of
            plywood clamp, which is affixed to a paticle-board box (normally used to
            store drill bits on my drill press), which is raised to the correct height
            for whatever collection container I'm filling by stuffing 2X6" lumber under
            the box. I've got a piece of 1/4" flex copper attached by a fitting to the
            condenser, which I can bend or change as necessary to dribble into the
            parrot's beak. Is that clumsy enough for you?

            > > In virtually every case, if my cut is not clumsily done, the product is
            > > extremely smooth and very drinkable immediately. Time, oak, and oxygen
            > > improve the product, but they are not necessary to make it drinkable.
            >
            >I think I might be making my cuts a little heavy handed towards the heads
            >end
            >in that it seems to be a fairly light spirit, though (imho) drinkable.
            >
            > > ... and 4 months on oak have given me
            > > stuff I'd put up against (many or most of) the big kids.
            >
            >I'm getting a nice color with my pure corn spirit, but after 4 months its
            >still
            >tastes a little light. Is there any input regarding the amount of oak
            >(more/less, too much/not enough)? Can too much difinitively ruin a batch?

            I worked for quite a while with a batch of bourbon, about 75% corn, trying
            to get that definitive bourbon flavor, which I assumed came from the
            charring and carmelization of oak compounds. I had cut some white oak
            lumber, purchased at an outrageous price from a yuppy woodworking store,
            into finger-sized pieces. I charred the pieces by hand with a propane torch,
            trying for that "alligator char" specified by bourbon-barrel burners.

            It sat for a while with three or four pieces in it, and it just never
            developed the flavor I wanted. As you said, it was too light. I kept adding
            and waiting, and after a while it got to be pretty respectable bourbon. I'd
            say *quite* good in fact. Are you charring your oak? If so, I'd just keep
            adding more charred oak and waiting until it has an effect. Yeah, it took me
            along time, too.

            >Trid
            >-pot stillin' away

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

            Search from any web page with powerful protection. Get the FREE Windows Live
            Toolbar Today! http://get.live.com/toolbar/overview
          • Trid
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 30, 2006
              --- Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

              > >I need to set up a less clumsy way of utilizing my parrot's beak because
              > >I've
              > >abandonded it presently and make my cuts every 2C and then taste blend the
              > >cuts.
              >
              > It couldn't be *too* much clumsier than mine. Mine is held by a kind of
              > plywood clamp, which is affixed to a paticle-board box (normally used to
              > store drill bits on my drill press), which is raised to the correct height
              > for whatever collection container I'm filling by stuffing 2X6" lumber under
              > the box. I've got a piece of 1/4" flex copper attached by a fitting to the
              > condenser, which I can bend or change as necessary to dribble into the
              > parrot's beak. Is that clumsy enough for you?

              The downspout is a gentle "S" curve...it just happens to hug the lip of a 1L
              wine carafe. If I balance it 'just so' and then cant the carafe 'just so' then
              it will precariously set the alcoholmeter plumb in the p.b's cylinder. I have
              no other container where it fits 'just so' enough :) It's just a matter of
              getting off my butt and assembling a bracket so that it's not dependent on its
              reciever.

              > >I'm getting a nice color with my pure corn spirit, but after 4 months its
              > >still
              > >tastes a little light. Is there any input regarding the amount of oak
              > >(more/less, too much/not enough)? Can too much difinitively ruin a batch?
              >
              > I worked for quite a while with a batch of bourbon, about 75% corn, trying
              > to get that definitive bourbon flavor, which I assumed came from the
              > charring and carmelization of oak compounds.

              Mine is only light to medium toast...which too might be the reason for the
              light flavors.

              > I had cut some white oak
              > lumber, purchased at an outrageous price from a yuppy woodworking store,
              > into finger-sized pieces.

              *cough*wouldn'tknowanythingaboutthat*cough*

              > I charred the pieces by hand with a propane torch,
              > trying for that "alligator char" specified by bourbon-barrel burners.

              I think I'll char a few for some subsequent batches coming up soon.

              > It sat for a while with three or four pieces in it, and it just never
              > developed the flavor I wanted. As you said, it was too light. I kept adding
              > and waiting, and after a while it got to be pretty respectable bourbon. I'd
              > say *quite* good in fact. Are you charring your oak? If so, I'd just keep
              > adding more charred oak and waiting until it has an effect. Yeah, it took me
              > along time, too.

              That's the beauty of the hobby...make a batch, wait, sample, not quite, tweak,
              wait, make another batch, wait, sample, compare to the older batch, repeat.

              Trid
              -took some incriminating photos...uploading shortly
            • toddk63
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 31, 2006
                OK, so your scotch is palatable straight away. Can any pot still rum
                makers chime in on their raw spirit? Could it be my yeast selection
                (EC-1118)? Could it be my raw materials 3:1 Sugar/Molasses versus
                lovely malted barley? Or could it be that's just what you get when
                you try to detune a fractionating column?

                I'm starting to see that I may just have to do a run as a pot still.
                I've been resisting this because of the extra time involved to set it
                up and take it down two or three times. Finally, is it OK to store
                low wines for a month or two before doing the spirit run?

                Thanks all,

                Todd K.
              • Robert Hubble
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 31, 2006
                  Todd,

                  Actually, I *have* made rum using Lalvin EC-1118 yeast, and using
                  agricultural molasses. The product was ok, with one exeption. That was one
                  of my first runs on my first still in many years, and I used flexible
                  plastic hose to more easily route the product to the collection containers.
                  The high-percent EtOH leached *something* (plasticizer, I assume) from the
                  hose, and it gave the rum a kind of off flavor.

                  We drank the rum anyway, and it was ok, but subsequent hose-less runs of
                  other boozes demonstrated that the rum was not my best effort.

                  Other than that, my still has run bourbon, scotch, *lots* of eau-de-vies,
                  brandies, schnapps, and grappas, *all* of it smooth and sweet after one
                  beer-stripping run and one spirit run.

                  I'm not sure what problems you are having, and I can't relate to the head
                  temperatures you list, but there's nothing intrinsically wrong with running
                  molasses-1118 wash through a potstill.

                  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

                  Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                  >From: "toddk63" <toddk63@...>
                  >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: [Distillers] Raw Spirit - was Glengoyne tour
                  >Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 08:00:49 -0000
                  >
                  >OK, so your scotch is palatable straight away. Can any pot still rum
                  >makers chime in on their raw spirit? Could it be my yeast selection
                  >(EC-1118)? Could it be my raw materials 3:1 Sugar/Molasses versus
                  >lovely malted barley? Or could it be that's just what you get when
                  >you try to detune a fractionating column?
                  >
                  >I'm starting to see that I may just have to do a run as a pot still.
                  >I've been resisting this because of the extra time involved to set it
                  >up and take it down two or three times. Finally, is it OK to store
                  >low wines for a month or two before doing the spirit run?
                  >
                  >Thanks all,
                  >
                  >Todd K.

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Call friends with PC-to-PC calling -- FREE
                • toddk63
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 31, 2006
                    Not bad news at all. Just the sort of data point I was looking for.
                    I was struggling to decide between pot stilling the same wash with the
                    same yeast (EC-1118) or doing the detuned column thing again , but
                    using bread yeast this time. I only wanted to change one thing at a
                    time, and I only get the opportunity to run the still once or twice a
                    year recently. That makes for a steep learning curve. I hope to
                    increase that frequency this year though.

                    Does it matter that I'm not doing 100% molasses, but rather 2:1 brown
                    sugar / molasses wash?

                    Thanks,

                    Todd K.

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Hubble" <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

                    > Todd,
                    >
                    > Actually, I *have* made rum using Lalvin EC-1118 yeast, and using
                    > agricultural molasses. The product was ok, with one exeption. That
                    was one
                    > of my first runs on my first still in many years, and I used flexible
                    > plastic hose to more easily route the product to the collection
                    containers.
                    > The high-percent EtOH leached *something* (plasticizer, I assume)
                    from the
                    > hose, and it gave the rum a kind of off flavor.
                    >
                    > We drank the rum anyway, and it was ok, but subsequent hose-less
                    runs of
                    > other boozes demonstrated that the rum was not my best effort.
                    >
                    > Other than that, my still has run bourbon, scotch, *lots* of
                    eau-de-vies,
                    > brandies, schnapps, and grappas, *all* of it smooth and sweet after one
                    > beer-stripping run and one spirit run.
                    >
                    > I'm not sure what problems you are having, and I can't relate to the
                    head
                    > temperatures you list, but there's nothing intrinsically wrong with
                    running
                    > molasses-1118 wash through a potstill.
                    >
                    > Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
                    >
                    > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
                    >

                    > >From: "toddk63" <toddk63@...>
                    > >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                    > >Subject: [Distillers] Raw Spirit - was Glengoyne tour
                    > >Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 08:00:49 -0000
                    > >
                    > >OK, so your scotch is palatable straight away. Can any pot still rum
                    > >makers chime in on their raw spirit? Could it be my yeast selection
                    > >(EC-1118)? Could it be my raw materials 3:1 Sugar/Molasses versus
                    > >lovely malted barley? Or could it be that's just what you get when
                    > >you try to detune a fractionating column?
                    > >
                    > >I'm starting to see that I may just have to do a run as a pot still.
                    > >I've been resisting this because of the extra time involved to set it
                    > >up and take it down two or three times. Finally, is it OK to store
                    > >low wines for a month or two before doing the spirit run?
                    > >
                    > >Thanks all,
                    > >
                    > >Todd K.

                    > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    > Call friends with PC-to-PC calling -- FREE

                  • Link D'Antoni
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 31, 2006
                      Todd,

                      I run Rum (molasses) pot still.
                      I have have a supply of 84 Brix molasses which is run
                      in the 24" column (non reflux). I have previously
                      used Red Star wine yeast. I cut the molasses to 14%
                      alc (one gallon molasses : 4 gallons water). It
                      usually ferments to approx 7ish% then add white sugar
                      bring the Potential upward to 17.5 -18%. This allows
                      all to ferment out. The first few times I made my
                      cuts to late. I was greedy and had to re-run more the
                      last third. But practice and patience makes perfect
                      and experience is the best teacher and other sayings.

                      I like dark rums so I add one tablespoon per gallon
                      store bought molasses for aging on charred oak. I get
                      the color and taste desired.
                      I'm playing/experimenting with various woods for
                      aging that I will try with some of the next yeild.
                      I'll give 1st results (1st week) of the wood
                      experimenting this Sunday.
                      I'm setting setting up a 75 gallon wash next week.
                      I'll be trying Prestige Schnapps Yeast with that
                      molasses.

                      Link

                      --- toddk63 <toddk63@...> wrote:

                      > OK, so your scotch is palatable straight away. Can
                      > any pot still rum
                      > makers chime in on their raw spirit? Could it be my
                      > yeast selection
                      > (EC-1118)? Could it be my raw materials 3:1
                      > Sugar/Molasses versus
                      > lovely malted barley? Or could it be that's just
                      > what you get when
                      > you try to detune a fractionating column?
                      >
                      > I'm starting to see that I may just have to do a run
                      > as a pot still.
                      > I've been resisting this because of the extra time
                      > involved to set it
                      > up and take it down two or three times. Finally, is
                      > it OK to store
                      > low wines for a month or two before doing the spirit
                      > run?
                      >
                      > Thanks all,
                      >
                      > Todd K.

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • toddk63
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 1, 2006
                        Thanks for the info. So I'll plan a similar wash as last time, 2:1
                        sugar/molasses, 10%abv. Strip one one night, then spirit run another.

                        I tried molasses in the final spirit to finish, but didn't like it. I
                        prefer carmelized sugar. I've also done lots of wood experiments.
                        Med. toast oak by itself can be bit astringent. Jack Daniels chips
                        are devine. A mixture of the two is perfection.

                        Your pot stilling of a 18% abv wash goes against traditional advice,
                        but you seem to like the results, no?

                        Todd K.

                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Link D'Antoni <link2d@...> wrote:

                        > Todd,
                        >
                        > I run Rum (molasses) pot still.
                        > I have have a supply of 84 Brix molasses which is run
                        > in the 24" column (non reflux). I have previously
                        > used Red Star wine yeast. I cut the molasses to 14%
                        > alc (one gallon molasses : 4 gallons water). It
                        > usually ferments to approx 7ish% then add white sugar
                        > bring the Potential upward to 17.5 -18%. This allows
                        > all to ferment out. The first few times I made my
                        > cuts to late. I was greedy and had to re-run more the
                        > last third. But practice and patience makes perfect
                        > and experience is the best teacher and other sayings.
                        >
                        > I like dark rums so I add one tablespoon per gallon
                        > store bought molasses for aging on charred oak. I get
                        > the color and taste desired.
                        > I'm playing/experimenting with various woods for
                        > aging that I will try with some of the next yeild.
                        > I'll give 1st results (1st week) of the wood
                        > experimenting this Sunday.
                        > I'm setting setting up a 75 gallon wash next week.
                        > I'll be trying Prestige Schnapps Yeast with that
                        > molasses.
                        >
                        > Link

                      • Link D'Antoni
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 1, 2006
                          Todd,

                          Agreed. I know that 18% wash goes against
                          traditional. I was first told to use beer yeast and
                          ferment to 5%ish to have max flavor. I didn't like
                          the result.
                          I am getting commercial grade 84 Brix molasses. My
                          next try was for 14% wash using Red Star wine yeast.
                          I found that the molasses only fermented down to about
                          7%. I then added sugars in to bring the wash up to
                          14%... well, it fermented up to 17.5% and 18%. My
                          guess is that is the limit of wine yeast that was
                          used. The result was/is quite nice. Store shelf
                          molasses is added back (1 TBS / gallon) for additional
                          flavor.
                          There again I'll be trying the Schnapps yeast to see
                          what comes of it.

                          Link

                          http://mail.yahoo.com