Ready Reckoner

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 27, 1999
      Hi everyone,

      Well, I promised a ready reckoner for converting weights and measurements,
      and here it is. I've stuck to units we're most likely to use on this Forum,
      but
      if anyone can think of others please let us all know. I have used capital
      letters
      to distinguish Imperial units from US units, simply because the Imperial
      gallon
      is bigger than the US gallon. No other reason - really guys!!!

      Conversion from US Units:
      (1 gallon = 4 quarts = 8 pints = 128 floz = 231 cubic inches)
      US Metric Imperial
      1 gallon = 3.785 litre = 0.833 Gallon
      1 quart = 946.35 ml = 0.883 Quart
      1 pint = 473.18 ml = 0.833 Pint
      1 floz = 29.57 ml = 1.041 Floz

      Conversion from Imperial Units:
      (1 Gallon = 4 Quarts = 8 Pints = 160 Floz = 277.42 cubic inches)
      Imperial Metric US
      1 Gallon = 4.546 litre = 1.201 gallon
      1 Quart = 1.137 litre = 1.201 quart
      1 Pint = 568.26 ml = 1.201 pint
      1 Floz = 28.41 ml = 0.96 floz

      Conversion from Metric Units:
      1 litre = 1000 ml = 0.264 US gallon = 33.81 US Floz = 0.22 Imp Gallon = 35.2
      Imp Floz
      1 kilogram = 1000 gm = 2.205 lb = 35.28 oz (both US and Imp)
      1 gram = 0.3528 oz (both US and Imp)
      1 lb (both US and Imp) = 453.5 gram
      1 oz (both US and Imp) = 28.35 gram

      I hope you all find this useful.
      Handy hint: to save a lot of skull sweat, just stick to fluid ounces and
      you won't
      go far wrong as it happens that both the US and the Imperial fluid ounce are
      near as dammit the same!

      Now a 'trivia' question for our American Cousins:
      If Queen Liz I introduced the 282 cubic inch gallon during her reign
      (1558-1603)
      why did the Pilgrim Fathers take with them in 1620 the 'older' 231 cubic
      inch gallon?
      Was it because the Mayflower hadn't had a refit for ages?
      Was it because they chose an economy carrier??
      Or was it because they were just sentimental???

      Mike
      in Godzone

      PS. Did anyone spot my "deliberate" error in my last posting?
      There are 4 quarts, or 8 pints in every gallon - not in every pint!!!