Re: [Distillers] Re: (Semi-OT) Harvesting CO2

  • Trid
    Message 1 of 46 , Aug 29, 2006
      --- Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:
      > Hi Trid,
      > I like your train of thought, but you aren't really making 'oodles'
      > of CO2.

      Fortunately, "oodles" is relative :)
      I'm just relating to the number of bubbles observed times volume times time
      divided by the square root of fidgety plus parts on hand divded by motivation.

      > Yeast has two enzymes that convert the saccharides to
      > ethanol. Invertase converts dissacharides (such as sucrose) to
      > monosaccharides by a catalytic hydrolysis (addition of water)
      > reaction. Glucose and fructose are then converted to ethanol and
      > carbon dioxide by the enzyme zymase.
      >
      > One mole of sucrose will produce four moles of ethanol and four
      > moles of carbon dioxide.

      True, but there's a significant difference in volume of said moles.

      > It's not that much, and the equipment and energy input necessary to
      > harvest and purify it just ain't worth the trouble in a home
      > hobbyist environment (how much energy/money to fire up that
      > compressor?).

      It's a tiny compressor...I used it originally for airbrushing but 35psi didn't
      quite cut it. A friend gave me his franken-compressor (long story) and I
      didn't need thissun any longer. However, the 1/4" NPT threads on the inlet
      haunted me with "I can do something with that one day..."

      > Commercial operations do thousands of gallons per
      > day. That's a horse of a different colour. Hobbyists can get CO2
      > as dry ice at a fraction of the cost of recovering their own gases.

      ...but that would be too easy.

      > DIY is a noble thing, but one must be practical.

      Shall we compare the financial outlay on our home rigs to the cost of a bottle
      of McCallan? I think we've abandoned practical a while back :) How many of
      our home projects have started with "I wonder if I can..."?

      > Slainte!
      > regards Harry

      And cheers to you too :)
      Thanks for the input!
      Trid
    • Trid
      Message 46 of 46 , Aug 29, 2006
        --- Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:
        > Hi Trid,
        > I like your train of thought, but you aren't really making 'oodles'
        > of CO2.

        Fortunately, "oodles" is relative :)
        I'm just relating to the number of bubbles observed times volume times time
        divided by the square root of fidgety plus parts on hand divded by motivation.

        > Yeast has two enzymes that convert the saccharides to
        > ethanol. Invertase converts dissacharides (such as sucrose) to
        > monosaccharides by a catalytic hydrolysis (addition of water)
        > reaction. Glucose and fructose are then converted to ethanol and
        > carbon dioxide by the enzyme zymase.
        >
        > One mole of sucrose will produce four moles of ethanol and four
        > moles of carbon dioxide.

        True, but there's a significant difference in volume of said moles.

        > It's not that much, and the equipment and energy input necessary to
        > harvest and purify it just ain't worth the trouble in a home
        > hobbyist environment (how much energy/money to fire up that
        > compressor?).

        It's a tiny compressor...I used it originally for airbrushing but 35psi didn't
        quite cut it. A friend gave me his franken-compressor (long story) and I
        didn't need thissun any longer. However, the 1/4" NPT threads on the inlet
        haunted me with "I can do something with that one day..."

        > Commercial operations do thousands of gallons per
        > day. That's a horse of a different colour. Hobbyists can get CO2
        > as dry ice at a fraction of the cost of recovering their own gases.

        ...but that would be too easy.

        > DIY is a noble thing, but one must be practical.

        Shall we compare the financial outlay on our home rigs to the cost of a bottle
        of McCallan? I think we've abandoned practical a while back :) How many of
        our home projects have started with "I wonder if I can..."?

        > Slainte!
        > regards Harry

        And cheers to you too :)
        Thanks for the input!