how to make johhny wlalker using wood chips???

  • i_brew_spirits
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 20, 2006
      What the best way to make this with natural spirits???
      What chip to use and what flavors to use (still spirits ones)

      any help would be great...
    • Ian
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 20, 2006
        ey,

        I ran some normal "oak" from the brew shop, And still spirits tenase? bourbon, Came out real good!!..
        Was a great hit with my bourbon drinking mates!.. even I had a little guzzle and I hate the stuff!
        :)

        What the best way to make this with natural spirits???
        What chip to use and what flavors to use (still spirits ones)

        any help would be great...

      • Andrew Bugal
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 20, 2006
          My recipe for scotch is as follows:

          2 litres of minimum 43% ABV neutral spirit
          Still Spirits Classic Finest reserve whisky sachets
          10 mls cream sherry
          5 mls liquid peat smoke essence
          1 tablespoon powered glucose mixed in 100 ml of warm water (Powered glucose will give the final product "legs" on the glass but will not add sweetness).

          Use a container capable of holding 2.5 litres of liquid. Add the spirit.
          Put the plug in the sink and stand the container in it. Add hot water from the tap up a third of the outside of the container. Throw in the unopened sachets of mix into the sink as well to warm up. Let them stand for 5 minutes to warm up.

          Then, open the sachets and add to the spirit. Remove from sink, cap and swirl to mix in. Add glucose mix, sherry and peat smoke essence. Close and swirl again. Then add two tablespoons bourbon chips (these are chips guaranteed to have come from used bourbon barrels).

          Close and swirl again and then put away for three weeks if you can.

          At the end of three weeks, strain through a coffee filter and put into individual bottles. Will make 3 - 700 ml bottles. Leave for another three weeks if you can and enjoy. I believe you will be impressed.

          Best regards,

          Bwyze

          i_brew_spirits <i_brew_spirits@...> wrote:
          What the best way to make this with natural spirits???
          What chip to use and what flavors to use (still spirits ones)

          any help would be great...

        • Cary Rhodes
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 20, 2006
            Andrew

            I haven't tried to make scotch.

            I believe I will try it.

            the liquid peat smoke?? is that a grocery store shelf item or does
            it come from Brewhaus guys.

            cary

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Bugal <bwyze44@...> wrote:

            > My recipe for scotch is as follows:
            >
            > 2 litres of minimum 43% ABV neutral spirit
            > Still Spirits Classic Finest reserve whisky sachets
            > 10 mls cream sherry
            > 5 mls liquid peat smoke essence
            > 1 tablespoon powered glucose mixed in 100 ml of warm water
            (Powered glucose will give the final product "legs" on the glass but
            will not add sweetness).

            > Use a container capable of holding 2.5 litres of liquid. Add
            the spirit.
            > Put the plug in the sink and stand the container in it. Add hot
            water from the tap up a third of the outside of the container.
            Throw in the unopened sachets of mix into the sink as well to warm
            up. Let them stand for 5 minutes to warm up.

            > Then, open the sachets and add to the spirit. Remove from sink,
            cap and swirl to mix in. Add glucose mix, sherry and peat smoke
            essence. Close and swirl again. Then add two tablespoons bourbon
            chips (these are chips guaranteed to have come from used bourbon
            barrels).

            > Close and swirl again and then put away for three weeks if you
            can.

            > At the end of three weeks, strain through a coffee filter and
            put into individual bottles. Will make 3 - 700 ml bottles. Leave
            for another three weeks if you can and enjoy. I believe you will be
            impressed.

            > Best regards,
            >
            > Bwyze
            >
            > i_brew_spirits <i_brew_spirits@...> wrote:
            > What the best way to make this with natural spirits???
            > What chip to use and what flavors to use (still spirits ones)
            >
            > any help would be great...

          • Andrew Bugal
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 20, 2006
              Probably Brewhaus. Still Spirits put it into their Scotch making kit but you can buy it separately. I got mine from Brewers Den which sells the brewing supplies, essences, etc.

              Regards,
              Bwyze

              Cary Rhodes <rhodeseng@...> wrote:
              Andrew

              I haven't tried to make scotch.

              I believe I will try it.

              the liquid peat smoke?? is that a grocery store shelf item or does
              it come from Brewhaus guys.

              cary

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Bugal <bwyze44@...> wrote:

              > My recipe for scotch is as follows:
              >
              > 2 litres of minimum 43% ABV neutral spirit
              > Still Spirits Classic Finest reserve whisky sachets
              > 10 mls cream sherry
              > 5 mls liquid peat smoke essence
              > 1 tablespoon powered glucose mixed in 100 ml of warm water
              (Powered glucose will give the final product "legs" on the glass but
              will not add sweetness).

              > Use a container capable of holding 2.5 litres of liquid. Add
              the spirit.
              > Put the plug in the sink and stand the container in it. Add hot
              water from the tap up a third of the outside of the container.
              Throw in the unopened sachets of mix into the sink as well to warm
              up. Let them stand for 5 minutes to warm up.

              > Then, open the sachets and add to the spirit. Remove from sink,
              cap and swirl to mix in. Add glucose mix, sherry and peat smoke
              essence. Close and swirl again. Then add two tablespoons bourbon
              chips (these are chips guaranteed to have come from used bourbon
              barrels).

              > Close and swirl again and then put away for three weeks if you
              can.

              > At the end of three weeks, strain through a coffee filter and
              put into individual bottles. Will make 3 - 700 ml bottles. Leave
              for another three weeks if you can and enjoy. I believe you will be
              impressed.

              > Best regards,
              >
              > Bwyze
              >
              > i_brew_spirits <i_brew_spirits@...> wrote:
              > What the best way to make this with natural spirits???
              > What chip to use and what flavors to use (still spirits ones)
              >
              > any help would be great...

            • Mark
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 27, 2006
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Bugal <bwyze44@...> wrote:

                > My recipe for scotch is as follows:
                >
                > 2 litres of minimum 43% ABV neutral spirit
                > Still Spirits Classic Finest reserve whisky sachets
                > 10 mls cream sherry
                > 5 mls liquid peat smoke essence
                > 1 tablespoon powered glucose mixed in 100 ml of warm water
                (Powered glucose will give the final product "legs" on the glass but
                will not add sweetness).

                (snip)

                How many packets of "Still Spirits Classic Finest reserve whisky
                sachets" ??

                Mark
              • Andrew Bugal
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 27, 2006
                  Mark,

                  My apologies for that omission. I use both packets that come with the product for this recipe.

                  Regards,

                  Bwyze

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 27, 2006
                    Mark,

                    I just looked at this email again. That should read powdered glucose - not powered Glucose. Also, be sure to stand your mixing jug with the spirit and the unopened sachets of the scotch flavouring in hot water for a few minutes until they all warm up. That allows the flavouring to be better mixed in with the alcohol.

                    Regards,

                    Bwyze

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 3, 2006
                      i made this one, but used a normal scotch(green packet x1) and Finest
                      reserve whisky x 1, have to say, Bloody good, people have said it
                      tastes like dewers.. i think it's great but a little too much
                      bite(43%-45%)...
                      so have to say mark, good on yah mate........ love it.....
                      will have to try with 2x Finest reserve whisky next time, only had 1
                      left....

                      does anyone else have anything else to add to the recipes???????

                      i'm trying some wood chips with sweet sherry and cream cherry,,,trying
                      to find the best scotch...... have alot of taste testing to do...