nocino time

  • miciofelice2003
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 3, 2006
      Hi to everybody.

      Tomorrow 40 days were gone from the St. John day, when I started with
      nocino.

      So, tomorrow I'll filter the infusion I prepared 40 days ago, then
      I'll dilute about 150 - 200 grams, per liter of alcohol I used, of
      sugar in water enought to reach 40 alcoholic degree and then I'll
      bottle.

      Then, I've only to wait till Christmas (of course whitout open the
      bottles before that time).

      Ciao a tutti
      da

      micio felice
    • greg tufts
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 3, 2006
        What is this "nocino" you speak of ? Perhaps I
        missed your past posts, please enlighten me MIcio.
        cheers and thanks
        greg
        --- miciofelice2003 <miciofelice2003@...> wrote:

        > Hi to everybody.
        >
        > Tomorrow 40 days were gone from the St. John day,
        > when I started with
        > nocino.
        >
        > So, tomorrow I'll filter the infusion I prepared 40
        > days ago, then
        > I'll dilute about 150 - 200 grams, per liter of
        > alcohol I used, of
        > sugar in water enought to reach 40 alcoholic degree
        > and then I'll
        > bottle.
        >
        > Then, I've only to wait till Christmas (of course
        > whitout open the
        > bottles before that time).
        >
        > Ciao a tutti
        > da
        >
        > micio felice

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • miciofelice2003
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 4, 2006
          Hi, Greg.

          Yes, may be you missed the message of that period: anyway you have
          to look for message N°. 36148, where I explained how to prepare a
          liqueur called "nocino". You have to use wallnuts, it's well
          prepared in some regions of Italy and in Abruzzo they are used to
          drink at 70 alcoholic degree (I mean 70% in volume).

          For me it's too strong, so I prefer 38 - 40%.

          But remember: if you want to prepare a good nocino you must have at
          your disposal a young, blond virgin girl .... :<)

          Ciao a tutti
          da

          micio felice

          36148

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 4, 2006
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "miciofelice2003"
            <miciofelice2003@...> wrote:

            > But remember: if you want to prepare a good nocino you must have at
            > your disposal a young, blond virgin girl .... :<)
            >
            > Ciao a tutti
            > da
            >
            > micio felice

            There's no such thing as a virgin in western culture. They roll on
            their dummies (pacifiers) in the cradle.

          • homadechilly
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 4, 2006
              I have access to an old blonde, and not so virgin woman to pick my
              walnuts..will that work as well
            • Anthony Athawes
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 4, 2006
                After you have had your wicked way, is she any more use for making Nocino?

                Yes, may be you missed the message of that period: anyway you have
                to look for message N°. 36148, where I explained how to prepare a
                liqueur called "nocino". You have to use wallnuts, it's well
                prepared in some regions of Italy and in Abruzzo they are used to
                drink at 70 alcoholic degree (I mean 70% in volume).

                For me it's too strong, so I prefer 38 - 40%.

                But remember: if you want to prepare a good nocino you must have at
                your disposal a young, blond virgin girl .... :<)

                Ciao a tutti
                da

                micio felice

                36148

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, greg tufts <gregtufts@...> wrote:

                > What is this "nocino" you speak of ? Perhaps I
                > missed your past posts, please enlighten me MIcio.
                > cheers and thanks
                > greg
                > --- miciofelice2003 <miciofelice2003@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Hi to everybody.
                > >
                > > Tomorrow 40 days were gone from the St. John day,
                > > when I started with
                > > nocino.
                > >
                > > So, tomorrow I'll filter the infusion I prepared 40
                > > days ago, then
                > > I'll dilute about 150 - 200 grams, per liter of
                > > alcohol I used, of
                > > sugar in water enought to reach 40 alcoholic degree
                > > and then I'll
                > > bottle.
                > >
                > > Then, I've only to wait till Christmas (of course
                > > whitout open the
                > > bottles before that time).
                > >
                > > Ciao a tutti
                > > da
                > >
                > > micio felice

                > http://mail.yahoo.com

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • greg tufts
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 4, 2006
                  Collect 23 to 25 walnuts with green skins, St John
                  day etc
                  thanks Micio
                  cheers

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • miciofelice2003
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 4, 2006
                    Dear Antony,
                    "honny soit qui mal y pense" a French king said.

                    Let me stand the doubt ......

                    Ciao a te ed a tutti.

                    micio felice

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Athawes"
                    <Anthony.Athawes@...> wrote:

                    > After you have had your wicked way, is she any more use for making
                    Nocino?

                  • miciofelice2003
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 4, 2006
                      Thar's correct, Greg: it's the right recipe.

                      ciao a tutti

                      micio felice

                    • miciofelice2003
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 4, 2006
                        Thar's correct, Greg: it's the right recipe.

                        ciao a tutti

                        micio felice

                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, greg tufts <gregtufts@...> wrote:

                        > Collect 23 to 25 walnuts with green skins, St John
                        > day etc
                        > thanks Micio
                        > cheers
                        > greg
                        > --- miciofelice2003 <miciofelice2003@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > Hi, Greg.
                        > >
                        > > Yes, may be you missed the message of that period:
                        > > anyway you have
                        > > to look for message N°. 36148, where I explained how
                        > > to prepare a
                        > > liqueur called "nocino". You have to use wallnuts,
                        > > it's well
                        > > prepared in some regions of Italy and in Abruzzo
                        > > they are used to
                        > > drink at 70 alcoholic degree (I mean 70% in volume).
                        > >
                        > > For me it's too strong, so I prefer 38 - 40%.
                        > >
                        > > But remember: if you want to prepare a good nocino
                        > > you must have at
                        > > your disposal a young, blond virgin girl .... :<)
                        > >
                        > > Ciao a tutti
                        > > da
                        > >
                        > > micio felice
                        > >

                        > > 36148
                        > >

                        > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, greg tufts
                        > > <gregtufts@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > What is this "nocino" you speak of ? Perhaps I
                        > > > missed your past posts, please enlighten me MIcio.
                        > > > cheers and thanks
                        > > > greg

                        > > day,

                        > > 40
                        > > degree

                        > > course

                        > > protection around
                        > > > http://mail.yahoo.com

                        > http://mail.yahoo.com

                      • italiandistiller
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 4, 2006
                          Nocino, I think (please correct me Micio if I'm wrong)is derived from
                          the Italian verb nuocere, which means to harm, to damage, and 'ino' a
                          suffux that imples "a little".
                          So, nocino literally means to harm a little.

                          Green walnuts hulls, and not the older black ones, as well as cloves,
                          have a proven property for killing intestinal flukes and suppressing
                          parasitic bacteria and fungi (yeasts) and also many kinds of
                          pathogens which we coincidentally ingest in the course of normal
                          gastro-fare. In becomes imperative that on a cyclic basis, we do a
                          detoxing, or killing of these "little" entities from our bodies for
                          robust health. Nocino will aid in the aspect. Italy's high
                          percentage of centenarians may be in part due to nocino!

                          Here's my nocino recipe:
                          • 30 green walnuts (collected on the 25th of June, blond virgin
                          optional)
                          • 48 oz of your best and cleanest shine
                          • 1 cup sugar
                          • 2 cinnamon sticks
                          • 1 tablespoon whole cloves
                          • rind of 1 lemon
                          • 1 cup water (spring or well)
                          Cut the 30 green walnuts with the kernel into 4 parts and put them in
                          a large jar, add the alcohol and half of the sugar, spices and lemon
                          rind. Place the jar in a sunny window tightly covered for a few
                          months. Filter and add sugar syrup made from 1 cup of water and the
                          rest of sugar. Store in the cellar for a year.
                          Serve cold after a meal.

                          Viva nocino e giovani vergini biondi!

                          À Salute,

                          Bob

                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, greg tufts <gregtufts@...> wrote:

                          > Collect 23 to 25 walnuts with green skins, St John
                          > day etc
                          > thanks Micio
                          > cheers
                          > greg
                          > --- miciofelice2003 <miciofelice2003@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > Hi, Greg.
                          > >
                          > > Yes, may be you missed the message of that period:
                          > > anyway you have
                          > > to look for message N°. 36148, where I explained how
                          > > to prepare a
                          > > liqueur called "nocino". You have to use wallnuts,
                          > > it's well
                          > > prepared in some regions of Italy and in Abruzzo
                          > > they are used to
                          > > drink at 70 alcoholic degree (I mean 70% in volume).
                          > >
                          > > For me it's too strong, so I prefer 38 - 40%.
                          > >
                          > > But remember: if you want to prepare a good nocino
                          > > you must have at
                          > > your disposal a young, blond virgin girl .... :<)
                          > >
                          > > Ciao a tutti
                          > > da
                          > >
                          > > micio felice
                        • miciofelice2003
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 5, 2006
                            Dear Bob,
                            really I don't know the exact meaning of the word "nocino"; in my
                            opinion means "liqueur extract by walnuts", but also your
                            interpretation is proper and can be true.

                            in my opinion it's better to avoid to put sugar inside the jar
                            during fermentation, but this's matter of opinion.

                            what I can't accept is to wait 1 year or more to taste my delicious
                            nocino: no, it's too much!

                            I disagree also about the definition of "optional" when you speak of
                            the blond, virgin, girl, etc.: how can you define "it"
                            as "optional"??????? (smile)

                            In this case, let me say what Sir George Bernard Shaw said:
                            "Take everything from me but not the superfluous!"

                            Anyway: I took the recipe from the book written by Pellegrino
                            Artusi: he wrote his book (the first "scientific" book about the art
                            of cooking)at the end of 1800, almost in the beginning of 1900, so
                            more than 1 century was gone.
                            But, let me say, a person (I mean Pellegrino Artusi) that start his
                            book writing:
                            " two are the life functions: to feed ourselves and to propagate the
                            species" must be a person that undestood everythimg in life!!!

                            ( a big smile!!!)

                            A person that start a book, about food cooking, such in this way
                            MUST be a reliable person!!! (another big smile)

                            So, O.K., let's stop to joke and become a little bit serious:
                            Pellegrino Artusi was the first and, in my opinion, sometimes is
                            still the best in cook writing.
                            His recipes have the taste of the old wisdom, the wisdom of ours
                            grand-fathers.
                            It's a heritage of wisdom and knowledge that must not be forgotten.

                            Ciao a tutti
                            da

                            micio felice

                            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "italiandistiller"
                            <italiandistiller@...> wrote:

                            > Nocino, I think (please correct me Micio if I'm wrong)is derived
                            from
                            > the Italian verb nuocere, which means to harm, to damage,
                            and 'ino' a
                            > suffux that imples "a little".
                            > So, nocino literally means to harm a little.
                            >
                            > Green walnuts hulls, and not the older black ones, as well as
                            cloves,
                            > have a proven property for killing intestinal flukes and
                            suppressing
                            > parasitic bacteria and fungi (yeasts) and also many kinds of
                            > pathogens which we coincidentally ingest in the course of normal
                            > gastro-fare. In becomes imperative that on a cyclic basis, we do a
                            > detoxing, or killing of these "little" entities from our bodies
                            for
                            > robust health. Nocino will aid in the aspect. Italy's high
                            > percentage of centenarians may be in part due to nocino!
                            >
                            > Here's my nocino recipe:
                            > • 30 green walnuts (collected on the 25th of June, blond
                            virgin
                            > optional)
                            > • 48 oz of your best and cleanest shine
                            > • 1 cup sugar
                            > • 2 cinnamon sticks
                            > • 1 tablespoon whole cloves
                            > • rind of 1 lemon
                            > • 1 cup water (spring or well)
                            > Cut the 30 green walnuts with the kernel into 4 parts and put them
                            in
                            > a large jar, add the alcohol and half of the sugar, spices and
                            lemon
                            > rind. Place the jar in a sunny window tightly covered for a few
                            > months. Filter and add sugar syrup made from 1 cup of water and
                            the
                            > rest of sugar. Store in the cellar for a year.
                            > Serve cold after a meal.
                            >
                            > Viva nocino e giovani vergini biondi!
                            >
                            > À Salute,
                            >
                            > Bob
                            >

                            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, greg tufts <gregtufts@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Collect 23 to 25 walnuts with green skins, St John
                            > > day etc
                            > > thanks Micio
                            > > cheers
                            > > greg
                            > > --- miciofelice2003 <miciofelice2003@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > > Hi, Greg.
                            > > >
                            > > > Yes, may be you missed the message of that period:
                            > > > anyway you have
                            > > > to look for message N°. 36148, where I explained how
                            > > > to prepare a
                            > > > liqueur called "nocino". You have to use wallnuts,
                            > > > it's well
                            > > > prepared in some regions of Italy and in Abruzzo
                            > > > they are used to
                            > > > drink at 70 alcoholic degree (I mean 70% in volume).
                            > > >
                            > > > For me it's too strong, so I prefer 38 - 40%.
                            > > >
                            > > > But remember: if you want to prepare a good nocino
                            > > > you must have at
                            > > > your disposal a young, blond virgin girl .... :<)
                            > > >
                            > > > Ciao a tutti
                            > > > da
                            > > >
                            > > > micio felice

                          • italiandistiller
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 5, 2006
                              <miciofelice2003@...> wrote:

                              >I disagree also about the definition of "optional" when you speak of
                              >the blond, virgin, girl, etc.: how can you define "it"
                              >as "optional"??????? (smile)

                              What I really meant to say was "clothing is optional" but my blonde
                              Polish wife was looking over my shoulder at that moment. (Un
                              Siciliano e una Polacca--quello è matto :> )

                              >So, O.K., let's stop to joke and become a little bit serious:
                              >Pellegrino Artusi was the first and, in my opinion, sometimes is
                              >still the best in cook writing.
                              >His recipes have the taste of the old wisdom, the wisdom of ours
                              >grand-fathers.
                              >It's a heritage of wisdom and knowledge that must not be forgotten.

                              Thanks Micio I didn't know about him. I pasted below an interesting
                              blurb from Amazon where I just bought a copy of his book. I'm looking
                              forward to the section on Liquors.

                              Cheers,

                              Bob

                              The name Pellegrino Artusi (1820^-1910) means little to the average
                              American cook, but to the late-nineteenth-century Italian housewife,
                              Artusi's La Scienza in Cucina e l'Arte di Mangiar Bene (The Science
                              of Cookery and the Art of Eating Well), was The Joy of Cooking.
                              Artusi rebelled against the ascendancy of French cooking over Italian
                              in its homeland, but he did so at the cost of imposing a Tuscan-
                              Romagnan standard over all Italian cuisine. So profound became his
                              influence over Italian home cooking that regional differences dived
                              underground until reaction only recently set in. The true value of
                              this book, helpfully and affectionately annotated, lies in its
                              precise limning of a turning point in Italian cultural history, when
                              the political unification of a nation also produced a standardization
                              of middle-class household cooking throughout the peninsula. Mark
                              Knoblauch.
                            • miciofelice2003
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 5, 2006
                                Dear Bob,
                                I understand. When a wife is standing behind you, looking over your
                                shoulder, it's imperative to do everything to keep the family peace.

                                Nocino doesn't come from "nuocere" (italian verb to mean something
                                like to damage) but come from "noce", that is the italian word to
                                define the walnut. The "ino" mean little, nice but referred to what
                                you get from "noce".

                                There is a particular grapes named "uva fragola" (strawberry grape)
                                because smell and taste like strawberry. "Fragola" mean "strawberry".

                                The wine that they get from those grapes is named "fragolino".

                                My wife is Hungarian, and we have a lot of fun reading some recipes,
                                not for what he write, but for "how" he write, in such a very
                                official, old italian, ...

                                Anyway, thanks for the blurb you posted: explained something I
                                didn't know.

                                Ciao a tutti
                                da

                                micio felice
                              • PhilipWilson
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 21, 2006
                                  I filtered my batch of nocino yesterday, after starting a couple of weeks later than the italian
                                  calendar to make up for later ripening in the UK. It's thick, fragrant stuff, which I hope will
                                  mellow some with age.

                                  I also tried something I read somewhere else - adding a bottle of cheap white wine to the
                                  walnuts and spices left over after filtering. Wait for a few hours then filter and sweeten to
                                  taste for a brown, nocino-flavoured apertif that can be drunk now. It's very nice, in an
                                  aromatic, bitter sort of way.

                                  Thanks, Micio.

                                  Phil
                                • miciofelice2003
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 21, 2006
                                    Hi Phil.

                                    Don't mention it.

                                    I'm glad if you will like the taste of nocino.

                                    Don't forget to stir some sugar (I'm used to add 150 gr of it per
                                    lt. of pure alcohol used, but other people use some different
                                    quantities) with the water you think being enough to dilute the
                                    alcohol to the alcoholic degree you like (normally 38 - 40 %, but I
                                    know people that enjoy to drink it at 65 %) and then store in your
                                    cellar till Christmas (in Italy; in GB you have to wait ... what was
                                    the delay? Two weeks? O.K. You are allowed to taste that one two
                                    weeks after Christmas).

                                    Ciao a tutti
                                    da

                                    micio felice

                                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "PhilipWilson" <pgw@...> wrote:

                                    > I filtered my batch of nocino yesterday, after starting a couple
                                    of weeks later than the italian
                                    > calendar to make up for later ripening in the UK. It's thick,
                                    fragrant stuff, which I hope will
                                    > mellow some with age.
                                    >
                                    > I also tried something I read somewhere else - adding a bottle of
                                    cheap white wine to the
                                    > walnuts and spices left over after filtering. Wait for a few
                                    hours then filter and sweeten to
                                    > taste for a brown, nocino-flavoured apertif that can be drunk
                                    now. It's very nice, in an
                                    > aromatic, bitter sort of way.
                                    >
                                    > Thanks, Micio.
                                    >
                                    > Phil

                                  • Jim Wallace
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 30, 2007
                                      Micio ... I had been following your thread on making nocino earlier this year and started a batch from walnits collected in June
                                      The original flavor was VERY tannic or bitter in nature and has currently subsided but still has quite a rough edge as we approach christmas and time for it to be ready (6 months)...

                                      From other sources I see to make it and at the first christmas filter it ant then wait to the next christmas to serve it (18 months) ...

                                      will this tannic/bitter flavor subside in the next year ... it currently has a very beautiful herbal aroma and flavor but the rough edge is still enough to keep from totally enjoying it

                                      do you have any comments on this???

                                       Re: nocino time
                                      Posted by: "miciofelice2003" miciofelice2003@...   miciofelice2003
                                      Sat Aug 5, 2006 6:41 am (PST)

                                      Dear Bob,
                                      really I don't know the exact meaning of the word "nocino"; in my
                                      opinion means "liqueur extract by walnuts", but also your
                                      interpretation is proper and can be true.

                                      in my opinion it's better to avoid to put sugar inside the jar
                                      during fermentation, but this's matter of opinion.

                                      what I can't accept is to wait 1 year or more to taste my delicious
                                      nocino: no, it's too much!

                                                   Jim Wallace         jim@...

                                                        Advanced Cheesemaking Workshops

                                             ...   finished for 2007 ... our 2008 schedule will be posted soon

                                          Offering Technical Help and Classes at :

                                          New England Cheesemaking Supply Company ... www.cheesemaking.com