RE: [Distillers] Re: For Zymurgybob et al Scotch afficionados

  • Robert Hubble
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2006
      Comments inline

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      >From: "subsonic40grain" <subsonic40grain@...>
      >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [Distillers] Re: For Zymurgybob et al Scotch afficionados
      >Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 23:20:48 -0000
      >
      >Now that is very very nice reading tonight. Harry you provide
      >knowledge, you can judge a man by his reading. Sumat like that, (I
      >forget the quote). Lovely, nice, just relaxing, reading and a wee
      >dram at the end of a hard day.
      >
      >There was me thinking Gordon Brown just taxed people.... ;-P
      >
      >His saving grace is the tradition of having a Whisk(e)y at the
      >dispatches box. Pity he didn't have a few more, then again maybe he
      >did?
      >
      >http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/business.cfm?id=323342004
      >
      >Oh, politics, yeah maybe not good ;-P
      >
      >So, ok. I did a run today and pulled 2.8 litres of 95.5%
      >(temperature corrected) So I am resting on my laurels. Well
      >chuffed. Took bl@@dy ages mind (like half a day). Sat it all
      >(minus 1 litre) on carbon (just poured about 500g of nice 'proper'
      >activated carbon into the demijohn (Gallon jar)) and kept back 1
      >litre for Zymurgybobs Gin recipe. (Can't be bothered with all that
      >filtering business, I just bung the carbon in at 43% and it works
      >great.) Dunno about 500g It's just a baby tin I keep it in so it
      >seems like a good volume....
      >
      >P.S. Trid - You are mad. Nice reading your posts mind - keep it
      >up :-)
      >
      >Where was I, oh yes, I will sit the spare litre of 95% on the
      >botanicals and ice wok it after. Then add that to the neutral. (I
      >forget whether to sit the botanicals at 95% or 40% so guys, don't
      >reply! - I will check my work server Monday as it has the full
      >recipe.)
      >
      >If Bob is ok I will post the results of the 'Zymurgy Gin Run' as I
      >have decided to call it. I have sampled Zymurgybobs and can claim
      >FAME!!!!!

      Subsonic,

      OK, hell! I'd be wildly flattered. Besides, I'm really interested in finding
      out how it went. And (blush, shuffle) thanks for the kind words. In truth, I
      AM getting good reports on the gin from my happy testers. While I'm proud of
      the gin, my success is due to Tony Ackland's essence still, Wal's "10 best"
      gin recipes, and Harry's (or was it Rob Thomas's) bicarbonate procedure for
      distilling low wines. My personal contribution is mostly being too lazy to
      find angelica root and getting confused on one of Wal's recipes.