Re: Japanese ranbiki

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2 7:45 AM
      Appears to be a clay version of the Portuguese 'alquitara'. The
      traditional Japanese distillation apparatus follows the Chinese and
      has an internal collection pot. Used similar to a pot still.
      wal
      -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Athawes"

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3 6:09 AM
        A Chinese bronze still dated 25CE-220CE shows similar principals -
        http://www.sytu.edu.cn/zhgjiu/u4-2.htm
        An Arab/Moor water cooled head still was known in 12th century Spain -
        the origin of the Portuguese 'alquitar'.
        In India, a pottery 'Mysore Still' resembles a Poruguese 'alquitar'.
        The Portuguese discovered India and had trade links there.

        The small size of the Japanese ranbiki (500mm) suggests it could have
        been used for homedistilling!!! Brewing and distillation is still
        illegal in Japan I understand.
        Here is alink to a Korean sojugori -
        http://www.andongsoju.com/eng/main2.html
        wal

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3 6:39 AM
          Links to andong soju seem to have vanished. Here is a picture of the
          Korean pottery still to make andong soju -
          http://www.soobahkinternational.org/html/body_back16.html
          wal