RE: [Distillers] Re: Power Controller for 2400 Watts

  • Anthony Athawes
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 2, 2006
      Yes, I know this from school, PV/T etc. But I think most ordinary stills
      operate to atmosphere, in which case the heat required to maintain a given
      temp. would gradually get less.

      My interest is focused on electrical controllers though.

      Tony

      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 2, 2006
        Yard grass is the grass clippings you get from your yard when you mow
        the grass...
        We use an acid flash to break the lignin binders at the cellular level...
        Then after rinse we treat the brew with cellulase enzymes... the
        result is fermentable sugar proteins...
        From here on it is just like any other distillation...
        It called cellular conversion - the enzymes are availiable
        commercially and are now cheap enough for practical use...
        Since we have 1,000;s of miles of golf coarses here in Phoenix,
        Arizona - we thought we'd put the 140 tons of monthly clippings to
        good use...
        But we use our ethanol to make E-85 gas ( so I'l just have to start
        another thread - because I do realize that my comments are off track -
        I apologize)....
        Take care.
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Athawes"
        <Anthony.Athawes@...> wrote:

        > Larry,
        >
        > Thank you very much for taking this business up.
        >
        > Well, it's rather like your head bone's connected to your neck
        bone......I'd
        > sure like to see a picture to see what's going on.
        >
        > Thank goodness we are back on track though!
        >
        > You get 2.8 gals /minute? They usually talk in terms of 3 drips a
        second.
        > They must be the size of hen's eggs!
        >
        > My nearly completed still is the "World Class Reflux Still". Why it
        is so
        > named I am still to determine or somebody to tell me? It was the one
        on the
        > web. Basically it cost around £50 plus a certain amount of hardware
        I had in
        > stock from brewing beer from grain.
        >
        > What the devil is Yard Grass? I raised a question about using Sugar Beet
        > which sounds a lot more likely than grass - but it was poorly spoken of.
        >
        > The Varistors sound interesting . Any more info? Is it a domestic
        dryer or
        > one in the hairdressers? Have tried a Variac which started to smoke, and
        > looked at the Simmerstats they put in electric ovens, but they only
        turn the
        > current on and off at varying intervals and are likely to be
        difficult to
        > manage
        >
        > Thank you very much again , Larry. It's good to see other peoples
        > experience.
        >
        > Tony.

      • Anthony Athawes
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 3, 2006
          Larry, You didn't comment on the size per min. of your drips - either you
          have a very big stiil or there's a mistake - surely?

          Well, we don't have "yards" in Britain, but we certainly have to cut the
          grass in our gardens. Are you really saying you can concoct a good wash for
          making whisky etc. out of grass clippings? As I said last time, even Sugar
          Beet is reckoned to be poor. There was no enthusiasm for the idea at any
          rate - so grass.......?

          I don't know if you play golf, but courses will be a fairly unlikely source
          of clippings. Most are left on the ground, and after that we have a powerful
          tractor that blows them into the rough. No body's going to rescue them. Most
          parts are cut weekly or twice weekly and only the Greens are dumped - in
          small piles.

          But let's keep to the subject - POWER CONTROLLERS.

          Tony

          Yard grass is the grass clippings you get from your yard when you mow
          the grass...
          We use an acid flash to break the lignin binders at the cellular level...
          Then after rinse we treat the brew with cellulase enzymes... the
          result is fermentable sugar proteins...
          From here on it is just like any other distillation...
          <Anthony.Athawes@...> wrote:

          > Larry,
          >
          > Thank you very much for taking this business up.
          >
          > Well, it's rather like your head bone's connected to your neck
          bone......I'd
          > sure like to see a picture to see what's going on.
          >
          > Thank goodness we are back on track though!
          >
          > You get 2.8 gals /minute? They usually talk in terms of 3 drips a
          second.
          > They must be the size of hen's eggs!
          >
          > My nearly completed still is the "World Class Reflux Still". Why it
          is so
          > named I am still to determine or somebody to tell me? It was the one
          on the
          > web. Basically it cost around £50 plus a certain amount of hardware
          I had in
          > stock from brewing beer from grain.
          >
          > What the devil is Yard Grass? I raised a question about using Sugar Beet
          > which sounds a lot more likely than grass - but it was poorly spoken of.
          >
          > The Varistors sound interesting . Any more info? Is it a domestic
          dryer or
          > one in the hairdressers? Have tried a Variac which started to smoke, and
          > looked at the Simmerstats they put in electric ovens, but they only
          turn the
          > current on and off at varying intervals and are likely to be
          difficult to
          > manage
          >
          > Thank you very much again , Larry. It's good to see other peoples
          > experience.
          >
          > Tony.

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • diskmaster23
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 3, 2006
            I am sure some of us are wondering if it relates to the "grass" kind
            that some of us love to smoke or the grass kind that is invovled in
            your yard?

            distillation of grass? wtf....

            Disk

            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 3, 2006
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "diskmaster23" <diskmaster23@...>
              wrote:

              > I am sure some of us are wondering if it relates to the "grass" kind
              > that some of us love to smoke or the grass kind that is invovled in
              > your yard?
              >
              > distillation of grass? wtf....
              >
              > Disk

              Could you please trim the message to include only the relevant parts,
              instead of the entire several messages of the thread?

              Moderator