RE: [Distillers] Re: Japanese ranbiki

  • Anthony Athawes
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2006
      It looks as if you get the whole caboodle here. Do they ditch the heads and
      tails?

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2006
        Appears to be a clay version of the Portuguese 'alquitara'. The
        traditional Japanese distillation apparatus follows the Chinese and
        has an internal collection pot. Used similar to a pot still.
        wal
        -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Athawes"

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2006
          A Chinese bronze still dated 25CE-220CE shows similar principals -
          http://www.sytu.edu.cn/zhgjiu/u4-2.htm
          An Arab/Moor water cooled head still was known in 12th century Spain -
          the origin of the Portuguese 'alquitar'.
          In India, a pottery 'Mysore Still' resembles a Poruguese 'alquitar'.
          The Portuguese discovered India and had trade links there.

          The small size of the Japanese ranbiki (500mm) suggests it could have
          been used for homedistilling!!! Brewing and distillation is still
          illegal in Japan I understand.
          Here is alink to a Korean sojugori -
          http://www.andongsoju.com/eng/main2.html
          wal

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 2006
            Links to andong soju seem to have vanished. Here is a picture of the
            Korean pottery still to make andong soju -
            http://www.soobahkinternational.org/html/body_back16.html
            wal