Re: Power Controller for 2400 Watts

  • diskmaster23
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 2, 2006
      Makes perfect sense.

      > --- diskmaster23 <diskmaster23@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I have a question for all of you regarding boiling point and
      > > controlling temperature of the boiler. What is the reason why you
      > > would be controlling the boiler? Would it because you don't want
      > > not apply more btu's or watt's than needed?
      >
      > To parrot what Cary said...and to put it in the context of your
      question, the
      > control of the boiler that you want is how much energy you're
      putting into it.
      > You don't want to exceed the amount of energy you can take out of
      it when you
      > condense (or reflux, as appropriate).
      >
      > > Because you guys have always told me that you cannot control the
      > > boiling point (without pressure) (which is true of course). If I
      am
      > > wrong in this, what would be the reason in controlling it?
      >
      > You're not. You're controlling the RATE at which it boils. Once
      at boiling,
      > any excess energy beyound that which maintains the boil makes it
      boil HARDER.
      > The harder the boil, the faster the vapors leave, and the more
      work the reflux
      > coil/condenser have to do to do their thing.
      >
      > Make any sense?
      > Trid

    • Anthony Athawes
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 2, 2006
        Larry,

        Thank you very much for taking this business up.

        Well, it's rather like your head bone's connected to your neck bone......I'd
        sure like to see a picture to see what's going on.

        Thank goodness we are back on track though!

        You get 2.8 gals /minute? They usually talk in terms of 3 drips a second.
        They must be the size of hen's eggs!

        My nearly completed still is the "World Class Reflux Still". Why it is so
        named I am still to determine or somebody to tell me? It was the one on the
        web. Basically it cost around £50 plus a certain amount of hardware I had in
        stock from brewing beer from grain.

        What the devil is Yard Grass? I raised a question about using Sugar Beet
        which sounds a lot more likely than grass - but it was poorly spoken of.

        The Varistors sound interesting . Any more info? Is it a domestic dryer or
        one in the hairdressers? Have tried a Variac which started to smoke, and
        looked at the Simmerstats they put in electric ovens, but they only turn the
        current on and off at varying intervals and are likely to be difficult to
        manage

        Thank you very much again , Larry. It's good to see other peoples
        experience.

        Tony.

        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 2, 2006
          Yes, I know this from school, PV/T etc. But I think most ordinary stills
          operate to atmosphere, in which case the heat required to maintain a given
          temp. would gradually get less.

          My interest is focused on electrical controllers though.

          Tony

          > > I have a question for all of you regarding boiling point and
          > > controlling temperature of the boiler. What is the reason why you
          > > would be controlling the boiler? Would it because you don't want
          > > not apply more btu's or watt's than needed?
          >
          > To parrot what Cary said...and to put it in the context of your
          question, the
          > control of the boiler that you want is how much energy you're
          putting into it.
          > You don't want to exceed the amount of energy you can take out of
          it when you
          > condense (or reflux, as appropriate).
          >
          > > Because you guys have always told me that you cannot control the
          > > boiling point (without pressure) (which is true of course). If I
          am
          > > wrong in this, what would be the reason in controlling it?
          >
          > You're not. You're controlling the RATE at which it boils. Once
          at boiling,
          > any excess energy beyound that which maintains the boil makes it
          boil HARDER.
          > The harder the boil, the faster the vapors leave, and the more
          work the reflux
          > coil/condenser have to do to do their thing.
          >
          > Make any sense?
          > Trid

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • daver01a
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 2, 2006
            Yard grass is the grass clippings you get from your yard when you mow
            the grass...
            We use an acid flash to break the lignin binders at the cellular level...
            Then after rinse we treat the brew with cellulase enzymes... the
            result is fermentable sugar proteins...
            From here on it is just like any other distillation...
            It called cellular conversion - the enzymes are availiable
            commercially and are now cheap enough for practical use...
            Since we have 1,000;s of miles of golf coarses here in Phoenix,
            Arizona - we thought we'd put the 140 tons of monthly clippings to
            good use...
            But we use our ethanol to make E-85 gas ( so I'l just have to start
            another thread - because I do realize that my comments are off track -
            I apologize)....
            Take care.
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Athawes"
            <Anthony.Athawes@...> wrote:

            > Larry,
            >
            > Thank you very much for taking this business up.
            >
            > Well, it's rather like your head bone's connected to your neck
            bone......I'd
            > sure like to see a picture to see what's going on.
            >
            > Thank goodness we are back on track though!
            >
            > You get 2.8 gals /minute? They usually talk in terms of 3 drips a
            second.
            > They must be the size of hen's eggs!
            >
            > My nearly completed still is the "World Class Reflux Still". Why it
            is so
            > named I am still to determine or somebody to tell me? It was the one
            on the
            > web. Basically it cost around £50 plus a certain amount of hardware
            I had in
            > stock from brewing beer from grain.
            >
            > What the devil is Yard Grass? I raised a question about using Sugar Beet
            > which sounds a lot more likely than grass - but it was poorly spoken of.
            >
            > The Varistors sound interesting . Any more info? Is it a domestic
            dryer or
            > one in the hairdressers? Have tried a Variac which started to smoke, and
            > looked at the Simmerstats they put in electric ovens, but they only
            turn the
            > current on and off at varying intervals and are likely to be
            difficult to
            > manage
            >
            > Thank you very much again , Larry. It's good to see other peoples
            > experience.
            >
            > Tony.

          • Anthony Athawes
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 3, 2006
              Larry, You didn't comment on the size per min. of your drips - either you
              have a very big stiil or there's a mistake - surely?

              Well, we don't have "yards" in Britain, but we certainly have to cut the
              grass in our gardens. Are you really saying you can concoct a good wash for
              making whisky etc. out of grass clippings? As I said last time, even Sugar
              Beet is reckoned to be poor. There was no enthusiasm for the idea at any
              rate - so grass.......?

              I don't know if you play golf, but courses will be a fairly unlikely source
              of clippings. Most are left on the ground, and after that we have a powerful
              tractor that blows them into the rough. No body's going to rescue them. Most
              parts are cut weekly or twice weekly and only the Greens are dumped - in
              small piles.

              But let's keep to the subject - POWER CONTROLLERS.

              Tony

              Yard grass is the grass clippings you get from your yard when you mow
              the grass...
              We use an acid flash to break the lignin binders at the cellular level...
              Then after rinse we treat the brew with cellulase enzymes... the
              result is fermentable sugar proteins...
              From here on it is just like any other distillation...
              <Anthony.Athawes@...> wrote:

              > Larry,
              >
              > Thank you very much for taking this business up.
              >
              > Well, it's rather like your head bone's connected to your neck
              bone......I'd
              > sure like to see a picture to see what's going on.
              >
              > Thank goodness we are back on track though!
              >
              > You get 2.8 gals /minute? They usually talk in terms of 3 drips a
              second.
              > They must be the size of hen's eggs!
              >
              > My nearly completed still is the "World Class Reflux Still". Why it
              is so
              > named I am still to determine or somebody to tell me? It was the one
              on the
              > web. Basically it cost around £50 plus a certain amount of hardware
              I had in
              > stock from brewing beer from grain.
              >
              > What the devil is Yard Grass? I raised a question about using Sugar Beet
              > which sounds a lot more likely than grass - but it was poorly spoken of.
              >
              > The Varistors sound interesting . Any more info? Is it a domestic
              dryer or
              > one in the hairdressers? Have tried a Variac which started to smoke, and
              > looked at the Simmerstats they put in electric ovens, but they only
              turn the
              > current on and off at varying intervals and are likely to be
              difficult to
              > manage
              >
              > Thank you very much again , Larry. It's good to see other peoples
              > experience.
              >
              > Tony.

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • diskmaster23
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 3, 2006
                I am sure some of us are wondering if it relates to the "grass" kind
                that some of us love to smoke or the grass kind that is invovled in
                your yard?

                distillation of grass? wtf....

                Disk

                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 3, 2006
                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "diskmaster23" <diskmaster23@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I am sure some of us are wondering if it relates to the "grass" kind
                  > that some of us love to smoke or the grass kind that is invovled in
                  > your yard?
                  >
                  > distillation of grass? wtf....
                  >
                  > Disk

                  Could you please trim the message to include only the relevant parts,
                  instead of the entire several messages of the thread?

                  Moderator