RE: [Distillers] Re: Power Controller for 2400 Watts

  • Brendan Keith
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 1, 2006
      The cycling is controlled entirely within the stove control. Lingering
      temperature of the element, due to a hot pot or an aluminum plate, has no
      effect.

      --
      Brendan Keith
      bkeith@...

      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 1, 2006
        OK - One question :: Ias your Reflux Still the tone or two condensor
        model...
        I have a reflux column with three condensors...
        My column uses a boiler (pot) to generate the steam at the bottom of
        the column (just like a pot still)... But I have a feed line to add
        depleted water (Yes I said Water)...
        My Beer Mash feed is right above the stripper column (just before the
        first condensor)....
        The bottom condensor (1 st condensor) is right above the stripper
        column...
        Then I have the reflux column .....
        Then I have a 2nd condensor sitting on top of the reflux column - and
        just before the condensation dome (collector)...
        I have a feed tube takung off from the condensation dome that feeds
        into the final alcohol condensor (my 3rd condensor)..
        Then I have a set of 3-way ball valves that allow me to feed the
        product into a hydrometed cup for on the spot proof
        testing/verification....
        I'm only getting 2.8 Gallons per minute at 94% ...
        Haven't tried grain yet - but yard grass mash seems to be working fine
        for me...
        Too much detail about the mash concoction to go into here...
        But I believe you can control either an electric powered or gas
        powered still with at moderating condensor (like my 1st condensor)...
        Or if using electric elements - a dryer thermostat (those varistors
        they put on electric dryer drums)... All you have to do is place a
        semi metalic shim and practice with the thickness to cause the
        thermostat to kick out at your target temp...
        Sorry I got long wnded - but thought I'd throw my two cents (or 2 1/2)
        in...
        I'll put my still design on one of my web sites and include a link
        later - but it really isn't that revolutionary..
        Thanks..
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Larry <larry@...> wrote:

        > At 07:53 PM 08/01/2006, you wrote:
        >
        > >Trid/Alias,
        > >
        > >Cycling on and off with pot still is no fun at all.
        >
        > Man, cycling with a reflux still is just as bad, if not worse.
        >
        > My boiler came from Brewhaus.com, along with a free aluminum plate
        to go
        > between the kettle and the burner.
        >
        > That helps some, as the 1/4" thick aluminum acts as a buffer,
        passing on
        > retained heat while the element is cycled off.
        >
        > However, it imparts heat to the bottom of the boiler AND to the
        hotplate
        > heating element, which I suspect makes the hotplate stay cycled off
        longer,
        > allowing the plate and boiler to both cool anyway...
        >
        > I've gone to propane, myself.
        >

        > Barefoot Larry
        > The Tradition String Band
        > www.traditionmusic.com

      • diskmaster23
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 2, 2006
          Makes perfect sense.

          > --- diskmaster23 <diskmaster23@...> wrote:
          >
          > > I have a question for all of you regarding boiling point and
          > > controlling temperature of the boiler. What is the reason why you
          > > would be controlling the boiler? Would it because you don't want
          > > not apply more btu's or watt's than needed?
          >
          > To parrot what Cary said...and to put it in the context of your
          question, the
          > control of the boiler that you want is how much energy you're
          putting into it.
          > You don't want to exceed the amount of energy you can take out of
          it when you
          > condense (or reflux, as appropriate).
          >
          > > Because you guys have always told me that you cannot control the
          > > boiling point (without pressure) (which is true of course). If I
          am
          > > wrong in this, what would be the reason in controlling it?
          >
          > You're not. You're controlling the RATE at which it boils. Once
          at boiling,
          > any excess energy beyound that which maintains the boil makes it
          boil HARDER.
          > The harder the boil, the faster the vapors leave, and the more
          work the reflux
          > coil/condenser have to do to do their thing.
          >
          > Make any sense?
          > Trid

        • Anthony Athawes
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 2, 2006
            Larry,

            Thank you very much for taking this business up.

            Well, it's rather like your head bone's connected to your neck bone......I'd
            sure like to see a picture to see what's going on.

            Thank goodness we are back on track though!

            You get 2.8 gals /minute? They usually talk in terms of 3 drips a second.
            They must be the size of hen's eggs!

            My nearly completed still is the "World Class Reflux Still". Why it is so
            named I am still to determine or somebody to tell me? It was the one on the
            web. Basically it cost around £50 plus a certain amount of hardware I had in
            stock from brewing beer from grain.

            What the devil is Yard Grass? I raised a question about using Sugar Beet
            which sounds a lot more likely than grass - but it was poorly spoken of.

            The Varistors sound interesting . Any more info? Is it a domestic dryer or
            one in the hairdressers? Have tried a Variac which started to smoke, and
            looked at the Simmerstats they put in electric ovens, but they only turn the
            current on and off at varying intervals and are likely to be difficult to
            manage

            Thank you very much again , Larry. It's good to see other peoples
            experience.

            Tony.

            OK - One question :: Ias your Reflux Still the tone or two condensor
            model...
            I have a reflux column with three condensors...
            My column uses a boiler (pot) to generate the steam at the bottom of
            the column (just like a pot still)... But I have a feed line to add
            depleted water (Yes I said Water)...
            My Beer Mash feed is right above the stripper column (just before the
            first condensor)....
            The bottom condensor (1 st condensor) is right above the stripper
            column...
            Then I have the reflux column .....
            Then I have a 2nd condensor sitting on top of the reflux column - and
            just before the condensation dome (collector)...
            I have a feed tube takung off from the condensation dome that feeds
            into the final alcohol condensor (my 3rd condensor)..
            Then I have a set of 3-way ball valves that allow me to feed the
            product into a hydrometed cup for on the spot proof
            testing/verification....
            I'm only getting 2.8 Gallons per minute at 94% ...
            Haven't tried grain yet - but yard grass mash seems to be working fine
            for me...
            Too much detail about the mash concoction to go into here...
            But I believe you can control either an electric powered or gas
            powered still with at moderating condensor (like my 1st condensor)...
            Or if using electric elements - a dryer thermostat (those varistors
            they put on electric dryer drums)... All you have to do is place a
            semi metalic shim and practice with the thickness to cause the
            thermostat to kick out at your target temp...
            Sorry I got long wnded - but thought I'd throw my two cents (or 2 1/2)
            in...
            I'll put my still design on one of my web sites and include a link
            later - but it really isn't that revolutionary..
            Thanks..
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Larry <larry@...> wrote:

            > At 07:53 PM 08/01/2006, you wrote:
            >
            > >Trid/Alias,
            > >
            > >Cycling on and off with pot still is no fun at all.
            >
            > Man, cycling with a reflux still is just as bad, if not worse.
            >
            > My boiler came from Brewhaus.com, along with a free aluminum plate
            to go
            > between the kettle and the burner.
            >
            > That helps some, as the 1/4" thick aluminum acts as a buffer,
            passing on
            > retained heat while the element is cycled off.
            >
            > However, it imparts heat to the bottom of the boiler AND to the
            hotplate
            > heating element, which I suspect makes the hotplate stay cycled off
            longer,
            > allowing the plate and boiler to both cool anyway...
            >
            > I've gone to propane, myself.
            >

            > Barefoot Larry
            > The Tradition String Band
            > www.traditionmusic.com

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Anthony Athawes
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 2, 2006
              Yes, I know this from school, PV/T etc. But I think most ordinary stills
              operate to atmosphere, in which case the heat required to maintain a given
              temp. would gradually get less.

              My interest is focused on electrical controllers though.

              Tony

              > > I have a question for all of you regarding boiling point and
              > > controlling temperature of the boiler. What is the reason why you
              > > would be controlling the boiler? Would it because you don't want
              > > not apply more btu's or watt's than needed?
              >
              > To parrot what Cary said...and to put it in the context of your
              question, the
              > control of the boiler that you want is how much energy you're
              putting into it.
              > You don't want to exceed the amount of energy you can take out of
              it when you
              > condense (or reflux, as appropriate).
              >
              > > Because you guys have always told me that you cannot control the
              > > boiling point (without pressure) (which is true of course). If I
              am
              > > wrong in this, what would be the reason in controlling it?
              >
              > You're not. You're controlling the RATE at which it boils. Once
              at boiling,
              > any excess energy beyound that which maintains the boil makes it
              boil HARDER.
              > The harder the boil, the faster the vapors leave, and the more
              work the reflux
              > coil/condenser have to do to do their thing.
              >
              > Make any sense?
              > Trid

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • daver01a
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 2, 2006
                Yard grass is the grass clippings you get from your yard when you mow
                the grass...
                We use an acid flash to break the lignin binders at the cellular level...
                Then after rinse we treat the brew with cellulase enzymes... the
                result is fermentable sugar proteins...
                From here on it is just like any other distillation...
                It called cellular conversion - the enzymes are availiable
                commercially and are now cheap enough for practical use...
                Since we have 1,000;s of miles of golf coarses here in Phoenix,
                Arizona - we thought we'd put the 140 tons of monthly clippings to
                good use...
                But we use our ethanol to make E-85 gas ( so I'l just have to start
                another thread - because I do realize that my comments are off track -
                I apologize)....
                Take care.
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Athawes"
                <Anthony.Athawes@...> wrote:

                > Larry,
                >
                > Thank you very much for taking this business up.
                >
                > Well, it's rather like your head bone's connected to your neck
                bone......I'd
                > sure like to see a picture to see what's going on.
                >
                > Thank goodness we are back on track though!
                >
                > You get 2.8 gals /minute? They usually talk in terms of 3 drips a
                second.
                > They must be the size of hen's eggs!
                >
                > My nearly completed still is the "World Class Reflux Still". Why it
                is so
                > named I am still to determine or somebody to tell me? It was the one
                on the
                > web. Basically it cost around £50 plus a certain amount of hardware
                I had in
                > stock from brewing beer from grain.
                >
                > What the devil is Yard Grass? I raised a question about using Sugar Beet
                > which sounds a lot more likely than grass - but it was poorly spoken of.
                >
                > The Varistors sound interesting . Any more info? Is it a domestic
                dryer or
                > one in the hairdressers? Have tried a Variac which started to smoke, and
                > looked at the Simmerstats they put in electric ovens, but they only
                turn the
                > current on and off at varying intervals and are likely to be
                difficult to
                > manage
                >
                > Thank you very much again , Larry. It's good to see other peoples
                > experience.
                >
                > Tony.

              • Anthony Athawes
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 3, 2006
                  Larry, You didn't comment on the size per min. of your drips - either you
                  have a very big stiil or there's a mistake - surely?

                  Well, we don't have "yards" in Britain, but we certainly have to cut the
                  grass in our gardens. Are you really saying you can concoct a good wash for
                  making whisky etc. out of grass clippings? As I said last time, even Sugar
                  Beet is reckoned to be poor. There was no enthusiasm for the idea at any
                  rate - so grass.......?

                  I don't know if you play golf, but courses will be a fairly unlikely source
                  of clippings. Most are left on the ground, and after that we have a powerful
                  tractor that blows them into the rough. No body's going to rescue them. Most
                  parts are cut weekly or twice weekly and only the Greens are dumped - in
                  small piles.

                  But let's keep to the subject - POWER CONTROLLERS.

                  Tony

                  Yard grass is the grass clippings you get from your yard when you mow
                  the grass...
                  We use an acid flash to break the lignin binders at the cellular level...
                  Then after rinse we treat the brew with cellulase enzymes... the
                  result is fermentable sugar proteins...
                  From here on it is just like any other distillation...
                  <Anthony.Athawes@...> wrote:

                  > Larry,
                  >
                  > Thank you very much for taking this business up.
                  >
                  > Well, it's rather like your head bone's connected to your neck
                  bone......I'd
                  > sure like to see a picture to see what's going on.
                  >
                  > Thank goodness we are back on track though!
                  >
                  > You get 2.8 gals /minute? They usually talk in terms of 3 drips a
                  second.
                  > They must be the size of hen's eggs!
                  >
                  > My nearly completed still is the "World Class Reflux Still". Why it
                  is so
                  > named I am still to determine or somebody to tell me? It was the one
                  on the
                  > web. Basically it cost around £50 plus a certain amount of hardware
                  I had in
                  > stock from brewing beer from grain.
                  >
                  > What the devil is Yard Grass? I raised a question about using Sugar Beet
                  > which sounds a lot more likely than grass - but it was poorly spoken of.
                  >
                  > The Varistors sound interesting . Any more info? Is it a domestic
                  dryer or
                  > one in the hairdressers? Have tried a Variac which started to smoke, and
                  > looked at the Simmerstats they put in electric ovens, but they only
                  turn the
                  > current on and off at varying intervals and are likely to be
                  difficult to
                  > manage
                  >
                  > Thank you very much again , Larry. It's good to see other peoples
                  > experience.
                  >
                  > Tony.

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • diskmaster23
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 3, 2006
                    I am sure some of us are wondering if it relates to the "grass" kind
                    that some of us love to smoke or the grass kind that is invovled in
                    your yard?

                    distillation of grass? wtf....

                    Disk

                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 3, 2006
                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "diskmaster23" <diskmaster23@...>
                      wrote:

                      > I am sure some of us are wondering if it relates to the "grass" kind
                      > that some of us love to smoke or the grass kind that is invovled in
                      > your yard?
                      >
                      > distillation of grass? wtf....
                      >
                      > Disk

                      Could you please trim the message to include only the relevant parts,
                      instead of the entire several messages of the thread?

                      Moderator