Re: [Distillers] Re: Stopped wash

  • Andrew Bugal
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 30, 2006
      Yep. Did that. As I said, I have done many previous batches.

      cartierusm2004 <htcustom@...> wrote: Well all I can figure is did you top up to 23 lites or add 23 liters
      of water to the sugar? Because my first batch years ago went weird
      and I called brewhaus and he say it's top up to a total of 23 liters
      not add 23 liters. Other than that anything can happen in a
      fermentation.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Bugal <bwyze44@...> wrote:

      > Anybody comment on this?
      >
      > I started a new wash last week. Usual procedure - 8 kilos
      sugar, 23 litres water and a packet of Alcotec 48 hour turbo yeast -
      same as always. Temperature was 32 degrees C and dropped over 5
      hours to a bit under 30 degrees.

      > Although it did not go insane initially as it usually does, it
      did start bubbling away after about 9 hours and all through the next
      day (I run a plastic hose from the top of the carboy into a jug of
      water because 1 - I hate the smell and 2 - it gives me feedback via
      sound that it is working)..

      > Then it stopped. I gave it a couple of days and drew some off
      for measurement with an alcoholmeter. Results? Zero alcohol
      according to the Alcoholmeter. I waited a day and took another
      reading - same result. I then took an SG reading and it claims 5%.
      This is strange as it WAS working for a day and a bit.

      > Normally, I get between 16% and 20% alcohol by volume after a
      week and have completed many batches this way.

      > Anybody have any idea why this happened and is it possible to
      kick it along again? Allow me to say that all elements involved in
      the fermentation were sterilised.

      http://au.messenger.yahoo.com